Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,813,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
...I'm surprised by all the little pockets on the north side, especially around Logan Square.
No surprise there. Logan Square has had major gang problems for decades before yuppies started to move in.

Many realtors and leasing agents either don't know this or won't tell people this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:04 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,941,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
No surprise there. Logan Square has had major gang problems for decades before yuppies started to move in.

Many realtors and leasing agents either don't know this or won't tell people this.
Logan Square is pretty massive - definitely still hairy on the western parts, but around the square itself and on the eastern edges it's as safe as much of Lake View, IMO.

the issue isn't so much safety on the street (there are no "open air" drug markets in Logan) as it is the impact these 3rd and 4th generation gangs have on impeding school performance and improvement.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM

check this out, in front of Rev Brewing today:

Urban Habitat Chicago › Home

now I gotta say, if this doesn't reflect a safer Logan Square I don't know what can. In my day, cars probably would have swerved out of their way to hit these people.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:45 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,253,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Thanks for the map. It's pretty enlightening. I'm surprised by all the little pockets on the north side, especially around Logan Square.
Don't believe that map at all - according to that map most of the West Side is gang free!

The map is VERY outdated, and was pretty incomplete and inaccurate at the time it was made.

There are gangs on the Northside, but as Chi-town Native posted there are not any safety issues in the vast majority of Logan Square.

There is a great Flickr account here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicagocoldwar/ - broken link). It has loads of photos of gang symbols from the near Northwest side. The guy who posts the photos knows what he's talking about, and you can learn a lot about gang symbols by looking through the images, and then see which ones are around your neighborhood.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 PM

400 posts, read 962,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
check this out, in front of Rev Brewing today:

Urban Habitat Chicago › Home

now I gotta say, if this doesn't reflect a safer Logan Square I don't know what can. In my day, cars probably would have swerved out of their way to hit these people.

theyve been doing stuff like this for awhile in LA
and other cities in california.

Its cool, but it a bit too hippy for me.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
There is a great Flickr account here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicagocoldwar/ - broken link). It has loads of photos of gang symbols from the near Northwest side. The guy who posts the photos knows what he's talking about, and you can learn a lot about gang symbols by looking through the images, and then see which ones are around your neighborhood.
I love when they tag trash cans, LOL.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
...There are gangs on the Northside, but as Chi-town Native posted there are not any safety issues in the vast majority of Logan Square...
That is not accurate. Maybe in YOUR portion of Logan Square that is true, but not throughout Logan Square. I realize you want Logan Square to get better, but it does not happen by ignoring reality.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:58 PM

644 posts, read 1,195,542 times
Quote:
Don't believe that map at all - according to that map most of the West Side is gang free!

The map is VERY outdated, and was pretty incomplete and inaccurate at the time it was made.
I realize how inaccurate it probably is. Hey, it's a map of illegal activity. I wouldn't really trust the accuracy of any such map. Crime reports are one thing because they're compiled by officials, but a map of gang turf can't really be verified that way. It was just interesting to see what areas supposedly have gangs. In my neighborhood, there are gangs marked where I usually feel pretty safe, and the areas I think are less safe are supposedly gang-free. The gang map doesn't really back up what I see on EveryBlock. It made me wonder if perhaps the crime in my neighborhood is pretty unorganized, and the gangs don't have a lot of influence. But all of this is, of course, just speculation.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That is not accurate. Maybe in YOUR portion of Logan Square that is true, but not throughout Logan Square. I realize you want Logan Square to get better, but it does not happen by ignoring reality.
I think your credibility as spokesperson for Logan Square is minimal at best - you need to understand that the people who live here ARE the reality.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think your credibility as spokesperson for Logan Square is minimal at best - you need to understand that the people who live here ARE the reality.
I realize you need to sell your house one day and need to deflect the true level of crime in Logan Square as much as possible. Understandable.

My credibility is minimal why? Because I do not live in the yuppie portion of Logan Square? Lmao.

Logan Square is number 14 out of 77 community areas in total crimes in the last 365 days.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 09-17-2010 at 08:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago