Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:14 AM

251 posts, read 641,625 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. A buddy and I are making a trip to Chicago in 3 weeks to see the Dave Matthews Band at Wrigley Field on a Friday and Saturday. I'm a little nervous to drive to Chicago as I've never drove in a city this big before. Biggest cities I've drove in are Dallas, Memphis, and Nashville.

We're driving up from Little Rock. I have Google Navigation on my phone, and it's always led me straight to where I need to go. We're staying at the City-Suites Hotel on West Belmont Avenue. We got this hotel because of how close to Wrigley Field it was. Where would the best parking be? I'd like to park my truck in a safe place and not have to move it until I leave. I know the hotel says they have parking for $22 per day.

Any other tips or recommendations for coming up the first time? Also, is this area pretty safe? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 AM

438 posts, read 1,700,224 times
Look for a street that is not zoned right around Wrigley to park. It should be fine for the weekend. I used to live at Cornelia and Southport (which is walking distance to Wrigley) and that street is not zoned. Cubs fans would always take up all the parking around there during games. Just make sure it is not zoned (look at the street signs) or you will get ticketed or towed.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:58 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
...Cornelia and Southport (which is walking distance to Wrigley) and that street is not zoned...
That is not a fun walk to the hotel though. The OP would be better off finding something south of Belmont and west of Racine.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
Yeah, look for a non-zoned residential street. It may take you an hour to find a spot, but that saves you 22 bucks a day...

Once your car is parked, make sure there are no valuables in sight and leave that car there until it's time to leave town, because everything is a walk or train ride away from there on out! So even if you have to park a little bit of a hike away, it'll be worth the money saved. City Suites is right by the Belmont El, and Wrigley is right off the Addison El, which is one stop away, but there's no reason to take the train. It's easy walking distance.

The area is plenty safe. Your hotel is right on the edge of Boystown, so be prepared to see folks being pretty flamboyantly gay. Basic city logic is required in any city of any size. Be aware of your surroundings. Don't flash cash. Don't walk around, wasted drunk, all by yourself. Common sense stuff.

But there's nowhere around where you'll be that I'd consider in any way sketchy or unsafe unless you go farther north or west than you'd ever logically stray.

Ever been to Chicago before? How long's your stay? What do you like to do? Answers to these questions can help inform our recommendations.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That is not a fun walk to the hotel though. The OP would be better off finding something south of Belmont and west of Racine.
Heck, if they're only making the walk to/from the car once, they could park the thing anywhere. They could park in St. Ben's and take the brown line to Belmont. Options are wide open as long as they don't need easy access to the vehicle.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:

It's only like a 10 minute walk from Cornelia and Southport to the City Suites Hotel...I used to walk that route everyday going to the redline on Belmont

Old 08-27-2010, 12:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Drop off your luggage at the hotel first.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
It's only like a 10 minute walk from Cornelia and Southport to the City Suites Hotel...
No way.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
No way.
no way what??...it's like 5 blocks south and a few blocks east...I walked it everyday for a few years....

Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM

251 posts, read 641,625 times
Thanks for the replies! I think I'm mainly worried about driving and finding my way around. A big city like this just overwhelms me. Like I said though, Google Navigation should help out a lot. I just have read that Chicago drivers are pretty bad and don't care too much about anyone else. I just got a new GMC Sierra, and not being familiar at all with Chicago, I hope I don't get a fender bender or anything too serious.

Also, when we arrive to check in, will we have to park at one of these non zoned residential areas and carry our luggage from there and check in? I don't know why that would be a big deal, but it was just something I thought about. Every hotel I've been to, you just drive right up to the front door and check in. We will definitely look for those parking areas. I'd like to not have to pay to park everyday, but if we end up having to, it won't be that big of a deal.

We are leaving Little Rock around 7 am on Thursday, Sept. 16th. Google puts it at a 12 hour drive just about. I told the lady at the hotel we would be a little late getting there and she told us just to be there before midnight/night audit. I don't think timing should be an issue though. Leaving Chicago Sunday morning of the 19th.

We're on somewhat of a budget so we probably won't do too much exploring while we're here. We'll more than likely hit up the concerts and find somewhere to eat around close to the hotel. Any advice about driving here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago