Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:47 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Good God you little nancy. The way you constantly, endlessly and conspicuously wring your hands about every single incident of crime in the city, just stay where you are already and be done with it. Then we won't have to listen to you wring your hands about it any more.
many responses are so like those posts on detroit and memphis. " what problem, violence is normal and appropriate. stop sterotyping and being judgemental."---- when dirty laundry strewn all over the floor seems normal- time to reevaluate our standards.
signed
a south side chicago native and former resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,755 times
Its pretty crime free where I live, near Traverse City, I cant speak for Detroit. I realize there will be more crime in Chicago then Traverse City, its just when the crime makes front page news Im asking for opinions thats all. I dont go on the chicago tribune and look at every crime committed in Chicago if thats what you think..

Old 07-02-2010, 08:01 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
...I realize there will be more crime in Chicago then Traverse City, its just when the crime makes front page news...
Crime makes front page news anywhere.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Have you never read a newspaper? Violence occurs daily in every big city, even in your precious suburbs.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:10 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,755 times
Yeah but some people think violence is a problem in Chicago and others dont.. I'm just asking opinions before I move near Chicago thats all. Obviously some of you are saying its no big deal and I appreciate your feedback.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 AM

588 posts, read 1,800,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Crime makes front page news anywhere.
Actually not all of it. Still some homicides don't make the papers, and a lot of the shootings, etc. never make it in the news. Chris, the long and the short of it is, the actual city of Chicago is mostly a sewer minus a few areas. And the really nice area are waaaay overpriced. I'm familiar with area you live now. Moving here will be a culture shock, and a lot of it won't be a positive. Now if you are talking living in a Burb, well that could be a diff story.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Damn, some people woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Coming from somewhere with no crime, it can seem insane to see stories every day about stuff going down around you. You need to come here and realize that there are millions of people in the city, not thousands. Crime happens. Not to everyone though. I see where the OP is coming from with the comments, but I think the rationale is flawed. It's a revolving door here with crime. The stories almost ALWAYS sound exactly the same, and it's the same groups. The only time it really makes news is when the location changes. You don't normally hear the "small town boy moves to city, gets cut down in a hail of gunfire on his second night". You hear "a 15 year-old known gang member was shot in the roseland neighborhood overnight. police are investigating".

It pisses everyone off when gangbangers move into downtown or the lakefront to cause their ****, but normally the violence is thug on thug.

The issues that draw my attention are the random acts of chaos groups try to pull in random places. Like the blocking of the bike path and crap that was pulled last month near North Ave. That's really the only time you see massive police reaction. Otherwise everyone just puts a curtain up over the bad areas and life goes on. Sad for the 80% of people stuck living in those areas who just want to live happy.

So goes life...

Old 07-02-2010, 08:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Actually not all of it. Still some homicides don't make the papers, and a lot of the shootings, etc. never make it in the news. Chris, the long and the short of it is, the actual city of Chicago is mostly a sewer minus a few areas. And the really nice area are waaaay overpriced. I'm familiar with area you live now. Moving here will be a culture shock, and a lot of it won't be a positive. Now if you are talking living in a Burb, well that could be a diff story.
just fyi - this is extremely biased. It's definitely not all violent trash and rich people defending their island of paradise. You just don't hear about the rest of the city that goes about their lives. Living neither in the gold coast nor englewood.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:21 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
Yeah but some people think violence is a problem in Chicago and others dont..
Crime is clearly a problem in Chicago. And it's a problem in just about every large metro area in the nation. Chicago's bad areas are really bad, and that's where most of the startling crime numbers come from. I think people are trying to tell you that living in a nice part of Chicago doesn't expose you to more risk than living in the nice part of any other large city.

But yes, Taste is a cesspool. That's probably exagerating a bit, but for me the benefits don't outweigh the costs. I live in Chicago, so I don't see the need to get lesser food that's lukewarm from a booth when I can just go to many of the great street festivals all over the North Side. And crime incidents at Taste are becoming an annual occurence. Considering the millions of people there, it's hardly a risky thing to go to taste, but you still have to deal with hoards of rude lower crust inividuals with no manners. It's just not worth it.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
This post sounds completely insane to me. I have to assume the poster has very little familiarity with the city. The "nice" parts of Chicago are certainly larger than "a few areas".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago