Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Many are. Try living in Austin or Englewood for example.
The statement though is usually applied to all people living in Chicago. It seems to be the popular opinion in e.g. the tribune comment section ("why would anyone with a choice live in a City where you fear for your life at every moment?"). Lots of suburbanites think this way -- seems to be a major disconnect from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
NEJM -- Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home

The use of illicit drugs and a history of physical fights in the home are important risk factors for homicide in the home. Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance.

The only person I know personally who was murdered was murdered by her husband with a legal gun. They were in the process of a divorce. He shot her and then killed himself. Too bad, he left 4 young children orphaned.

Dorothy

Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 PM

325 posts, read 235,765 times
Before I only worried about some gangbanger shooting me, now I have to worry about my short tempered neighbor down the block who goes ballistic every time I move his winter chair dibs and park in his so called parking spot.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
now I have to worry about my short tempered neighbor down the block who goes ballistic every time I move his winter chair dibs and park in his so called parking spot.
Good point.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 PM

436 posts, read 952,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Before I only worried about some gangbanger shooting me, now I have to worry about my short tempered neighbor down the block who goes ballistic every time I move his winter chair dibs and park in his so called parking spot.
There are two kinds of people, Tuco. People with guns, and people who dig.

Dig.

Dig out your own spot on the street.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post

Dig.

I support the removal of the ban, but this is just knee jerk recitation of NRA talking points.

First off - if you want to own a gun that is not a HAND gun, that has been perfectly legal in Chicago all along. It's not that much of a hassle (I own 4 registered guns in the city).

Secondly, this is the real world, not some BS Hollywood movie. Having a gun does not mean you are safe. The recent shooting of a thug who was stealing a man's motorcycle is frequently cited as an example of how a gun will protect you. Except the owner of the motorcycle was shot and killed, and his motorcycle was stolen. His father (who had a gun) shot and killed one of the thieves, so two people shot and killed and the crime was committed regardless of the victim owning a gun. Is that a good outcome? It is unclear if ANY shooting would have happened if the victim of the theft hadn't pulled a gun. They could have let the thugs take the motorcycle and just gotten their insurance money, or maybe they both would have been killed by the thugs - until more info comes out it is impossible to tell. The real thugs will shoot back if you pull a gun, and there will be situations where they won't shoot at all if no one pulls a gun. Either way, that was a very rare situation, the VAST majority of people shot in the city are victims of gang violence, not the victims of theft, break ins, or muggings.

Anyways, like I said, I support the lifting of the ban but it won't change much in the city. It is good that store owners who are alone at night can switch from shotguns to hand guns if they'd like, but the CPD will also be releasing a lot of gang members they currently pick up on weapons violations. The main thing is to shut down the straw buyers and gun shops on the edge of the city that knowingly sell guns to gang members and convicted murders.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Last I heard Chicago was the murder capitol of the U.S.

Gun rights serve to increase the chances that a person who exercises the right will survive an encounter with violent criminals. Defenseless, unarmed people, rarely win against violent, armed criminals.
Last you heard you were wrong.

Any yet, hand guns in the home more often hurt than help.

And most of the crime in Chicago is contained to a very small area where people have guns regardless.

Quote:
It's wikipedia but the numbers are taken directly from the FBI. It shows Chicago is definately worse for crime than several cities with less restrictive laws (Louisville, KY, El Paso, TX, etc.). United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2010 Chicago is definately the "murder capitol" of the U.S. Murder is by far the worst crime.
I'll try in English this time: No.

Why did you come to the Chicago forum to argue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Here you are:

Vocal Minority: Liberal Lie #16: Less Guns, Less Crime! - D.C. Murder Rate Down 25% After Gun Ban Lifted

January 21, 2010
EDITORIAL: Guns decrease murder rates

In Washington, the best defense is self-defense

More guns in law-abiding hands mean less crime. The District of Columbia proves the point.

MOD CUT. ONLY 2 SENTENCES PER CITATION IS ALLOWED. ~ PLEASE READ THE RULES!
One instance does not prove anything.

And you just came here to argue as well.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:52 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post

Dig.

Do you even live in a part of the city where parking is difficult to get???

It's not about being too lazy to dig, it's about the fact that there are NO OPTIONS left as to where to put your car except the one spot with a folding chair saving it, even though it is April and the snow all melted three weeks prior, but some a** thinks it's his private domain!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:54 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
NEJM -- Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home

The use of illicit drugs and a history of physical fights in the home are important risk factors for homicide in the home. Rather than confer protection, guns kept in the home are associated with an increase in the risk of homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance.

The only person I know personally who was murdered was murdered by her husband with a legal gun. They were in the process of a divorce. He shot her and then killed himself. Too bad, he left 4 young children orphaned.

Dorothy
Kellerman's studies? Discredited years ago...

GunCite - Gun Control Web Site: A Gun in the Home

Kellermann-Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home

Old 06-30-2010, 01:10 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
No, seriously, why did you come here to argue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago