Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,875 times

Advertisements

I know there have been a million threads on this, but I've read pretty much all I could, and I still need advice.

I'm a 20-something professional who may be transferring to Schaumburg from NYC for work. (I'm just trying to get on top of all my research now.) I'd prefer not to commute more than an hour, and being used to life in Manhattan, I need a recommendation on which suburb might be the best to live in terms of a sizable population of other young professionals.

Also, having lived in Manhattan, I need a recommendation on a compact car for lease/purchase as well. AWD preferred, given my comparable lack of experience driving (have not needed to drive regularly in NYC because of the public transportation) and no experience in driving in snowy conditions.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:14 PM

169 posts, read 550,731 times
Based on my knowledge and what I have read here, it seems like Arlington Heights might be your best bet. We moved to Chicago almost 5 years ago from Park Slope and then 3 years ago made our way to the Chicago suburbs. My husband and I always commented on how Chicago itself actually felt like a suburb compared to what we knew in NYC (more residental feel and greenery, but it's a good thing), so the suburbs out here are really spread out for the most part. You will need a car for sure, but you'll get used to it in no time. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:46 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
First welcome to your new home, The Windy City and the Big Apple are quite different yet are alike in many ways. Both are unique and special to visitors and residents alike, You are beginning a new adventure in your young life; enjoy it but don't coampare it for if you do you will miss some wondertul things about the city.

If you lived in the City there are more opportunites and more transportation options, but the drive to Schamburg will be a bear after the newness wears off. I would definately take a drifing course before I tried to drive in any City the size of Chicago as there are more expressways and tollways and more ways to get lost than in Manhattan.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 PM
mh7

102 posts, read 333,105 times
If you are single, there is no way I'd move to Schaumburg from NYC...no way.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh7 View Post
If you are single, there is no way I'd move to Schaumburg from NYC...no way.
There's this little city called Chicago that's right by Schaumburg, I don't know if you've heard of it. Also, the OP never stated an intention of living in Schaumburg, just near it, hence this thread.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:04 AM

214 posts, read 546,226 times
any chance work is near the schaumburg metra stop?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,764 times
My sister commuted from Ravenswood (Chicago) to Schaumburg for 7 years or so. The commute will be an hour on a good day and longer in inclement weather. Notwithstanding, I strongly recommend you look in Chicago. It will be worth it to maintain your lifestyle. And, your weekends will be considerably better.

Bucktown and Wicker Park are close to the expressway, as are certain parts of Lincoln Park (west Lincoln Park). Areas up north such as Lincoln Square and North Center are wonderful 'hoods but further from the expressway - although you make up some time being up north.

I am a transplanted NY'er and definitely will see some major differences. Chicago is a lot easier place to live and generally quieter, so I think you will learn to love it here too. Of course, that's once you get over missing great Chinese food, pizza and bagels.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:23 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I have to agree wholeheartedly with kindrakindra. Living near Schaumburg as a younger single person will be soul-crushingly horrible. Schaumburg is sort of the prototypical sprawl suburb, but with terrible congestion because of the huge amount of retail and employment. The North Side neighborhoods that kindrakindra mentions will not feel like NYC, but will at least offer some lifestyle positives for you compared to any suburb near Schaumburg.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrakindra View Post
Of course, that's once you get over missing great Chinese food, pizza and bagels.
We've got the great Chinese food, if you know where to look (and it's unlikely that it will be your neighborhood delivery joint). Pizza is controversial. You're 100% right about bagels, though.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
mh7

102 posts, read 333,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
There's this little city called Chicago that's right by Schaumburg, I don't know if you've heard of it. Also, the OP never stated an intention of living in Schaumburg, just near it, hence this thread.
If 30 miles is what you call "right by" or "near it", then I suppose youre right. However, anyone with half a brain knows that commuting from a near north or near west side Chicago neighborhood, where young, single people live, to Schaumburg on a daily basis would, well suck completely.

There is really no place in the suburbs at all that I'd recommend for a young, single transplant from NYC. Unless he spends his time in NY holed up in his apartment watching tv, he'll be bored to tears. There is likely no place near Schaumburg that he would want to live. If he was married & had a family or was thinking about starting one, this would all be a different story.

I grew up in NYC & lived in Schaumburg for a bit while I was young & single, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about here.

P.s. good chinese food in Chicago is REALLY hard to find. There are only two places that I've been to outside of chinatown that are even edible. In NYC, good chinese/pizza/bagles are ubiquitous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs