Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM

19 posts, read 85,890 times

Advertisements

My advice would be to stay in NY.

You will not find a place even remotely like it anywhere that is a reasonable distance from Schaumburg.

Be careful...If you like NYC, you may very well hate it here!

If you must move, stay in the city in an interesting neighborhood and take the Metra to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,308,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh7 View Post
I grew up in NYC & lived in Schaumburg for a bit while I was young & single, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about here.
I was born and raised here, so I am more than pretty sure when I say these things.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 AM

867 posts, read 2,145,977 times
guys she's not asking about NYC vs. chicago she's asking where in chicagoland she should live

Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,983,280 times
You may complain about the Chinese food, but you will love the pizza! There is Metra service to the south end of Schaumburg, near the ballpark, and Pace bus from the Rosemont L to the Woodfield area
So the commute from the city, especially downtown, shouldn't be too bad

Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,941 times
So far all i have heard is a bunch of negitive comments, If you do decide to transfer don't worry there is a lot to do around the area and there is NO shortage of young professionals, i'm not sure what kind of business your in but you can try joining a meet up with people of simialar interest. Here is a link to the top 10 nitelife spots in Schaumburg.
[url=http://www.10best.com/Schaumburg,IL/Nightlife/Best_Nightlife/]Best Schaumburg Nightlife: Top 10Best Nightlife Reviews[/url]
or check out this website, look at the events the Young Proffessionals of Chicago hold
[url=http://www.ypchicago.org/]Young Professionals of Chicago[/url]
there are also over 200 meetup group withing 10miles of schaumburg, not all group will be your thing but there maybe something of interest. [url=http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/il/schaumburg/groups/?radius=10]Schaumburg, Illinois Meetup Groups - Meetup.com[/url]

I'm sure its not a new concept that we work for what we get, and new friends or relationships somehow are the same, don't worry if you come here and you get out and make an effort to meet new people it will happen. Also the chicago suburbs are pretty well populated and there is defiantely alot of great places to go. Keep me posted on your transfer, i'd love to be of some help, kristen

Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM

438 posts, read 1,703,927 times
Honestly, if I were your age and moving from NYC to work in Schaumburg, you should hands down live in Chicago. Nothing against Schaumburg but it's a sprawling suburb. You will have to drive almost everywhere you go in Schaumburg (including to the bars) and trust me you do not want to drink and drive in the suburbs, not like you should drink and drive anywhere, but in Chicago you don't have to, you can take public transportation anywhere. Live in Chicago and do the commute for a year and you will see what I mean. Then you can figure out where you want to live/move from there....You can always move to the suburbs after a year but I guarantee you won't! At least not for 5+ years or so....As far as neighborhoods to live in Chicago for a 20 something girl, check out Bucktown, Lincoln Park, or Wrigleyville areas for sure.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,880 times
Thanks, everyone, for your insight!!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,338,775 times
I dont want to sound like im repeating what everyone said but a transition from NYC! to schaumburg is just a huge change. Yeah if possible stay in the city.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:31 PM

60 posts, read 183,283 times
Why not try an outer Chicago neighborhood like Edison Park? Close to O'Hare. Not to far from Schaumburg. And you can take the Metra into downtown for entertainment. Being the home of many Chicago Police Officers, its also fairly safe.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:57 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,983,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsiders View Post
Why not try an outer Chicago neighborhood like Edison Park? Close to O'Hare. Not to far from Schaumburg. And you can take the Metra into downtown for entertainment. Being the home of many Chicago Police Officers, its also fairly safe.
Edison Park? That is almost the suburbs! Great if you have a family and don't care about the night life. There isn't much. Stay close to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs