Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 15,226 times

Advertisements

I am taking a position that is in Mount Prospect and I am considering moving to Arlington Heights. I am looking to move some where with a good nightlife with a younger crowd preferably in the 20-26 range. I do not want to live in the city because of the commute and I can always take a train in on the weekends if I want to. So does anyone have any suggestions or comments on living in Arlington Heights as a young single professional? Also suggestions on places to stay would be helpful as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:46 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,078,200 times
Default I know this is a little off-topic but oh well:

I'm 23 years old and I also have a question. How the hell do you and all these other "young professionals" afford places like Arlington Heights? Seriously, wtf did you guys do to get that kind of money? I don't know ANYONE who even considers moving into places like Arlington Heights, Lincoln Park or downtown Chicago. Rent and/or home ownership is expensive and such a ridiculous idea doesn't even cross their mind.

I know college graduates - people who graduated from four year universities and got their degrees from places like Northwestern, EIU, Columbia and Devry. They're still baggin' groceries, stockin' shelves and scrubbin' toilets just like the rest of us. What did all you "young professionals" in Arlington Heights and Wicker Park do right that we did wrong? No, seriously.. I really wanna f*cking know.

Last edited by urza216; 05-02-2010 at 06:54 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 07:24 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,731,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdriver13 View Post
I am taking a position that is in Mount Prospect and I am considering moving to Arlington Heights. I am looking to move some where with a good nightlife with a younger crowd preferably in the 20-26 range. I do not want to live in the city because of the commute and I can always take a train in on the weekends if I want to. So does anyone have any suggestions or comments on living in Arlington Heights as a young single professional? Also suggestions on places to stay would be helpful as well.

The Arlington Heights crowd is pretty laid back and the downtown area does have some good bars and restaurants. It is pretty small, but still can be fun for the right person. You may find the crowd slightly older, probably more along the lines of 23ish-early 30s.

Make sure to find a place in downtown Arlington Heights because there is little public transit within Arlington Heights to ferry you from an apartment to downtown AH.

I have been out there a few times and it can be crowded, but nothing like in the city. Also, if you live downtown AH, you can walk to the METRA station near there if you choose to go into the city.

Actually, the commute from the NW side to Mount Prospect won't be bad, 45 minutes tops.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:04 AM

3 posts, read 15,226 times
Urza, I got a job as a mechanical engineer. I'm looking to keep rent around a 1000 a month w/o utilities. Chitown, I'll be 23 in July so that age of crowd wouldn't bother me. I actually walked the downtown heights area yesterday when I was up to finish some company paperwork and it is a nice place just trying to get some more outside opinions and suggestions

Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 AM

If you are set on the NW burbs, Arlington Heights is far and away your best option. You should have no problem finding a place for that price without utilities.

Another place to maybe look into is the Glen neighborhood of Glenview in the north burbs. It has some young people, good bars, and is closer (slightly) to the city via METRA train. It is also just as close to Mount Prospect.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:49 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,824,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I'm 23 years old and I also have a question. How the hell do you and all these other "young professionals" afford places like Arlington Heights? Seriously, wtf did you guys do to get that kind of money? I don't know ANYONE who even considers moving into places like Arlington Heights, Lincoln Park or downtown Chicago. Rent and/or home ownership is expensive and such a ridiculous idea doesn't even cross their mind.
Sevearl years ago I moved to Lincoln Park with less than $100 in my checking account and a temp job. It's not that hard. But I shared a one-bedroom with my girlfriend. And my crappy used car was paid off. Basically, you just learn to live with less.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:17 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,142,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Sevearl years ago I moved to Lincoln Park with less than $100 in my checking account and a temp job. It's not that hard. But I shared a one-bedroom with my girlfriend. And my crappy used car was paid off. Basically, you just learn to live with less.
And I'm sure sharing a one-bedroom with your girlfriend was a HUGE sacrifice!

I'm just teasing.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,692,625 times
OP--Arlington Heights is a good option, or even maybe something near downtown Palatine

Urza--Quite honestly...I just worked really hard in college. I had to--with no $$ help from my parents, I knew I had to have awesome grades and good intern/leadership experience to get a job. I also majored in something with good job prospects, and I'm a good interviewer. If I had accepted one of my Chicago based job offers, living in Lincoln Park would not have been too much of a stretch.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:08 PM

Palatine doesn't have any young people in their downtown. AH is far better suited to the young professional crowd.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:57 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,825,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

I know college graduates - people who graduated from four year universities and got their degrees from places like Northwestern, EIU, Columbia and Devry. They're still baggin' groceries, stockin' shelves and scrubbin' toilets just like the rest of us. What did all you "young professionals" in Arlington Heights and Wicker Park do right that we did wrong? No, seriously.. I really wanna f*cking know.
Nearly all that i've seen are either trust fund babies or their parents are paying for most everything until they "establish their careers"

Otherwise near by schaumburg has an excellent club scene and palatine/arlington heights isn't bad either for decent nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs