Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 14,457 times

Advertisements

We are looking a 2 houses about a mile apart very close to Hersey High school. One has an Arlington Heights address and the other Prospect Heights. What would be the differences in amenities between the two, or any other differences we haven't thought of for that matter?
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:23 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_bound View Post
We are looking a 2 houses about a mile apart very close to Hersey High school. One has an Arlington Heights address and the other Prospect Heights. What would be the differences in amenities between the two, or any other differences we haven't thought of for that matter?
Thanks for your help!
Prospect Heights typically has septic system and well water, AH is sewers and Lake Michigan water. PH is typically a bigger lot. PH has no sidewalks so your kid(s) are forced to walk on the street, AH has sidewalks for safer walking. PH is Elem dist 23 AH may be 23 or 25. Both are very good, some feel 25 is a bit better. If you live in AH but kids are in Dist 23, Prospect Hts. park district offers you resident's rates. Does one put you within walking distance of Lake Arlington? That to me is a big perk. It is the park off Windsor just north of Palatine Rd. Has a 1.8 mile path around the 50 acre lake and is great for running, walking or mellow bike rides. They even offer sailing lessons there.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Prospect Heights has a semi-rural feel with a lot of 60s and 70s era houses on 1/2 acre lots with as it was said with well and septic tank. Very little commercial areas in PH. It has a slight country vibe.

I wouldn't really characterize most of Arlington Heights as urban (although the downtown feels a bit like a small city in the suburbs) but lots are smaller than PH, and you are closer to more shopping, etc.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Prospect Heights has a semi-rural feel with a lot of 60s and 70s era houses on 1/2 acre lots with as it was said with well and septic tank. Very little commercial areas in PH. It has a slight country vibe.

I wouldn't really characterize most of Arlington Heights as urban (although the downtown feels a bit like a small city in the suburbs) but lots are smaller than PH, and you are closer to more shopping, etc.
Debatable. Randhurst, the Walgreens and Lou Malnati's on Camp MacDonald and 83 and the retail along Rand Rd. provide just about all you need within very short distance.
Adding to the rural feel of Prospect Heights is typically no street lights(not traffic lights) where certain sections of AH have street lights.

What grades are your kids in? Do they play an instrument or will you require them to? If so, Dist 23 has one of the best orchestra AND band programs in the entire state. Dist 25 has band, but discontinued orchestra. I have a 5th grade at Dist 23 and a freshman at Wheeling HS.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 14,457 times
My kids are in middle and high school. The houses in question are within a quarter mile of each other, very close to Hersey and Macarthur Middle, which they would attend from either house. It's the western nub of Prospect and/or north part of Arlington.
Unfortunately the houses are both just south of Palatine Rd from the lake, which looks like it would be a nightmare to cross on foot.

I guess I was mostly interested in what things the cities (villages?) have to offer the residents of each. It looks like Prospect H. rec department has a reciprocal agreement with some other towns that Arlington H. does not. But is that really that big of a deal? What about the libraries, does it matter which one?

The well water thing is interesting, is there a difference in taste or pressure? We have never had well water before.

My kids don't play an instrument, however, they are both very big into soccer, club and school, and are in AIG (gifted program) here.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Debatable. Randhurst, the Walgreens and Lou Malnati's on Camp MacDonald and 83 and the retail along Rand Rd. provide just about all you need within very short distance.
Adding to the rural feel of Prospect Heights is typically no street lights(not traffic lights) where certain sections of AH have street lights.
Very true. I was thinking more relative to Arlington Hts. Randhurst is technically in Mt. Prospect, and that little corner of Camp McDonald and 83 does have the basics for sure, but it does certainly have a bit of a small town feel there.

Personally I like Prospect Hts, because it gives people that option in the northwest suburbs to have that feel.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
My kids are in middle and high school. The houses in question are within a quarter mile of each other, very close to Hersey and Macarthur Middle, which they would attend from either house. It's the western nub of Prospect and/or north part of Arlington.
Unfortunately the houses are both just south of Palatine Rd from the lake, which looks like it would be a nightmare to cross on foot.

I guess I was mostly interested in what things the cities (villages?) have to offer the residents of each. It looks like Prospect H. rec department has a reciprocal agreement with some other towns that Arlington H. does not. But is that really that big of a deal? What about the libraries, does it matter which one?

The well water thing is interesting, is there a difference in taste or pressure? We have never had well water before.

My kids don't play an instrument, however, they are both very big into soccer, club and school, and are in AIG (gifted program) here.

Thanks for the help.
Crossing at Schoenbeck or Windsor to get to Lake Arlington can be done safely. We use both AH and PH libraries with our AH card. We use both park districts but did swim lessons at PH because it was closer. Did B-ball through Wheeling and got a little discount because of recipricol agreement via PH. Does AH park district offer better soccer programs than PH? Does AH have reciprocal agreement with AH? Which is the nicer house, nicer property, nicer immediate area and which has lower property taxes? Does one provide a safer route to schools without having to walk the shoulder of Schoenbeck or Willow/Thomas?
What is the additional cost of septic and water softener costs vs. the other? Cannot comment on taste, never did well water either. Do know there is a cost for the salt crystals.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post

.... AH is sewers and Lake Michigan water.
Not true. Some of the larger lots are not connected to the sewer system.
I have yet to come across an AH property that was not on Lake Michigan water. That I have not come across it, is not absolute certainty.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:28 AM

7 posts, read 19,193 times
Quote:
The well pumps into a pressure tank so no pressure difference, and you can actually increase the pressure if you want.

In addition to a water softener you should get a water clarifier, if the house doesn't already have one (this uses activated charcoal). This gets rid of the "rotten egg" smell that you hear about.

For the wafter softner 50lb salt blocks are about $4, for mine I put 1 in a month.

To me the well water tastes better, and its better for you, more minerals etc.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not true. Some of the larger lots are not connected to the sewer system.
I have yet to come across an AH property that was not on Lake Michigan water. That I have not come across it, is not absolute certainty.
Correct, I forget about some of the sections that are not connected. BUT if the OP is in AH within Elementary Dist 23 then ALL are connected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs