Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 08:51 AM
M14 M14 started this thread

1 posts, read 4,983 times

Advertisements

I have to commute to Schaumburg from Lake county for a new job. I would prefer not driving after hearing the horror stories about traffic on I-53/I-94. My questions are:

1. What would be my best/quickest option to get as close to Schaumburg from Libertyville, Lakeforest,Vernon hills using Metra. I could try to take a bus/shuttle to the Schaumburg corporate center from the nearest Metra station. Does this even sound practical?

2. In the event that I have to drive, what would be the best time to drive between Lake county and Schaumburg to avoid the rush hour?

Any advice will be highly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 09:23 AM

818 posts, read 2,179,618 times
Unfortunately, all METRA lines run in/out from the city. If you needed to go from Libertyville to Schamburg using METRA you would have to take the Milwaukee-North line to Western Ave (last stop before Union Station) and then take the Milwaukee-West line outbound to Schamburg. There is no way this is faster than driving in even the worst traffic. You can also hop on the North Central Line out of Vernon Hills, get off at O'Hare and take PACE bus 606 to Schamburg walking up to Higgins Rd. However, you will be on a fair share of traffic on Higgins all the way to Schamburg. This, of course, takes you to the other side of Schamburg (near the mall).

Driving, you can avoid the traffic by going earlier, say, leaving before 7 am.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,687,216 times
Completely agree with SJaye, Metra is wholly impractical from anypoint in Lake Co to Schaumburg. Pace is not set-up for that kind of commute either.

If you do not wish to drive by yourself try a car pool / ride share : Chicago Carpool / Rideshare: 128 car pool / ride share listings

Old 01-12-2010, 11:31 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,987,403 times
By rail, the best option may be riding the North Central to Franklin Park, transferring to the Milwaukee West line, then to Schaumburg, if your job is close enough to that station. As far as driving, the morning commute is all right if you leave by 6:30 A.M. It is the ride home that will try your patience. There is the Woodfield bottleneck, then some slowdowns past Lake-Cook Rd on 83. You can mostly avoid these by waiting until 6:30 P.M. I know from experience; I had a job on the South side where I didn't hit the Woodfield bottleneck because I cruised through at 6:30. My next job was much closer so I was caught in the thick of it about 5:30.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,371,206 times
Agree with everyone up there ^^^^. Metra is not designed to go b/w suburbs. There has been talk about doing something like that, but I don't think it has gotten anywhere in the 15+ years I lived there.

I used to live in Gurnee and when I'd drive to Schaumburg it was about an hour. You'd need to flex your hours to start super early and leave super early, such as a 6 AM or so start time to avoid the severe aggravation that driving in Lake County during rush hour can cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs