Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
doubt it
You can "doubt it" all you like, but facts don't lie.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
if you don't know what white flight is, it is when a bunch of white people leave a city because they are wimps and are scared there are too many black people. and oak brook isn't a south suburb.
It's a bit more complicated than that.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:52 AM

151 posts, read 413,727 times
Quote:
doubt it
Look up the stats. I was surprised too.

Guess it's too easy to say "Indiana good, Illinois bad" when talking about that area. Not that Highland is bad.......but South Holland doesn't seem to be turning into East Harvey like many have feared.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:09 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
You can "doubt it" all you like, but facts don't lie.
OK, how about some proof......I know for a fact at least that south Highland is very safe

Old 10-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
OK, how about some proof......I know for a fact at least that south Highland is very safe
All of Highland is pretty safe. I'm wasn't saying anything to the contrary. I was just saying that South Holland is safe, too.

BTW, this website is called "city-data", meaning that there is data on each city. I shouldn't have to show "proof". If you really want to know the truth, you can look it up for yourself.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 26,854 times
I work at SSC and I know some students who live in Northwest Indiana and still go to SSC. There is special program for Lake County IN residents. It is slightly higher than the in-district rate but not as expensive as you may think. So if you want to live in Indiana, you might want to look at this link: South Suburban College | Tuition & Payment Information or you can just call the Registration office and they can tell you all about it.Good luck with the move and with college.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaB View Post
Well, I think that's a pretty ignorant way of thinking...race doesn't have that much to do with whether or not an area is dangerous. It has more to do with income/poverty level. Thanks for explaining that....I thought that's probably what it meant, but it just sucks to think people are still that racist. I live in Nashville and I honestly don't come across that kind of racism here, but on a message board, I'm sure people are more outward with their thoughts.

The poster may not have used the white flight reference strictly in terms of ethnicity per se (even though that is part of the definition). It's sometimes kind of an umbrella or generic term for people moving out of certain communities as they perceive those communities to be moving in the wrong direction.

Having lived in NWI for quite some time, I have seen the decline in that general area of Chicagoland (including South Holland) over time. I don't know the exact cause but, as parts of the city have started to gentrify and spruce up, many South Suburban areas have taken a hit. For example, some of the towns that maybe considered less desirable now than in the past: South Holland, Cal City, Lansing, Lynwood, Park Forest, etc. The change has been pretty noticeable in a relatively short time period.

In many such cases, these declines have coincided with changing demographics. That doesn't mean the decline was CAUSED by changing demos, but the data are what they are. I'm not sure the person who used the term white flight is necessarily racist.

In general, the SH area is not that great. If you're going to school in Oak Forest, you can look into the Orland/Tinley/Palos area which is nicer but more costly than the SH area.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
In general, the SH area is not that great.
What exactly makes South Holland "not that great"? An earlier poster suggested Highland over South Holland and I know you're a proponent of some towns in the NWI area as well, LIS.

South Holland has a lower crime rate, a higher income level, higher home value than some of the "good" towns in NWI. What makes it not a good place to live?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
south holland is pretty nice

Old 10-18-2009, 11:39 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
south holland is pretty nice
Ditto that. I was there yesterday. It's a bedroom community of single family houses and broad lawns. These features did not change when the ethnic makeup became more diverse in the last twenty years. Its a nice enough place but a normal, bland suburb.

A person going to college in South Holland or Oak Forest could find an apartment in Orland Park, Oak Lawn or Lansing. I'm not much on moving to Indiana -- though the taxes are low the transfer fees on car registrations and the like are astronomical. Cultural resources are few and some of the NW IN communities are not that welcoming to new entrants. There's a lot of conservative 'politically correctiveness',
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs