Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 PM

59 posts, read 156,343 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I would of told you that living in the suburbs is for losers with five kids and two minivans...

Then I spent 7 months in a suburb of West Palm Beach, nothing special, just a suburb. Then I realized something: Once you get yourself a driver's license (can you say "city dweller"?) suburbs are pretty nice since you get away from the hustle and bustle.

So...

I'm in Chicago getting things squared away in a neighborhood I already know and I'm getting ready for my move. Question is to all of you out there reading this.

What is YOUR favorite Chicago suburb and why? Please feel free to post pictures (Pretty please?!).

I'm moving and need ideas. If I end up moving to your burb I promise to offer hot cocoa in December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 05:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
There is a sticky with hundred (maybe thousands) of pictures of the various suburbs.

My personal preferences lean heavily toward towns in the western, NW and northern burbs with traditional development around a moderately sized commuter rail connection. For ease of school selection and stability the smaller the town the less likely there is to be some 'big push' to change things or seek out the "really desirable attendance boundary", but I can put those things aside to recommend a particular feature / attraction that one town may offer over another...

I disagree that the appeal of a town increases with access to driving -- in fact there is good evidence that towns that offer more walkable features tend to have broader appeal, a trend that I expect to continue indefinitely.

I prefer towns that are more compact to those that are spread out, though I know this tends to make them more expensive, with fewer homes to choose from and more competition for the largest homes / lots -- good if you are owner/seller, not so much for buyers/shoppers.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:43 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,241,918 times
Cicero cus of the hoodrats.
Maywood, cus' I reside here.

That's it.
I don't travel much west of Maywood.

I just go to forest park and grab the train east to my city.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
Oak Park/ River Forest

Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Wheaton. Fond memories of Briar Cliff Baseball
Rice pool and Ice cream world..man I miss that guy.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Winnetka-on the lake, heavily wooded, non-chain oriented business districts, fond memories of good people when I worked there.
Long Grove, Kildeer- beautiful homes, large lots, privacy and a true country feel
Prospect Heights-a "poorer mans" version of Long Grove & Kildeer with excellent highway and Metra access.
Arlington Heights-I'm a "homer", a local booster/bragger because it is a good area to live in.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:29 AM

59 posts, read 156,343 times
What would you guys say is your favorite spread out burb?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Favorite Northern Burbs: Evanston, Wilmette, Winnetka, Kennilworth, Park Ridge, Highland Park

Favorite Western Burbs: Oak Park, River Forest, Riverside, La Grange, Hinsdale

Favorite Southern Burbs: Flossmoor, Homewood

Honorable mention: Arlington Heights, Elmhurst, Naperville, Western Springs, Berwyn

Old 09-10-2009, 11:40 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntumatrix View Post
What would you guys say is your favorite spread out burb?
Houston, TX. Just kidding I'd say Oak Brook. Pretty spread out.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,137 times
Evergreen Park. It is still safe , affordable and decent for blue collar Joe and has decent access to public transit. If Elmwood Park can overcome it's issues ,it too would be worth an honorable mention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs