Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:51 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,136,006 times

Advertisements

OK: Here's something: How would you match/compare a northern suburb (Northern Cook and Lake County) to a western suburb (DuPage and Western Cook County) based on demographics, character, etc. all those things.

Heres mine:

Evanston = Oak Park

Wilmette = River Forest

Park Ridge = LaGrange?

Arlington Hts = Downers Grove

South Barrington = Oak Brook

Long Grove = Wayne

Waukegan/Gurnee = Aurora

Winnetka = Hinsdale

Vernon Hills/Libertyville = Narperville

Glenview = Burr Ridge

Des Plaines = Addison

Highland Park = Riverside

Skokie = Forest Park/Berwyn?

Schuamburg = Lombard?

Mt. Prospect = Elmhurst

These are just guesses. Maybe their all pretty similar. Curious to know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 AM

358 posts, read 848,096 times
Wow....and I thought I was bored.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,652,334 times
Have you actually been to aurora? I don't think waukegan and gurnee are like aurora at all.
also, long grove and wayne? don't think so.
maybe long grove and geneva.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:28 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,364,906 times
Default I'd say pretty close, and agree that maybe you might have too much time on your hands

I think this is pretty darn good, and agree with OP=Evanston, Winnetka=Hinsdale, think that Western Springs=Wilmette and Long Grove=Geneva, and disagree with the Burr Ridge=Glenview, but generally the comparisons are just about as close as your going to get. How about Cicero=Zion, and Highwood=Forest Park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
OK: Here's something: How would you match/compare a northern suburb (Northern Cook and Lake County) to a western suburb (DuPage and Western Cook County) based on demographics, character, etc. all those things.

Heres mine:

Evanston = Oak Park

Wilmette = River Forest

Park Ridge = LaGrange?

Arlington Hts = Downers Grove

South Barrington = Oak Brook

Long Grove = Wayne

Waukegan/Gurnee = Aurora

Winnetka = Hinsdale

Vernon Hills/Libertyville = Narperville

Glenview = Burr Ridge

Des Plaines = Addison

Highland Park = Riverside

Skokie = Forest Park/Berwyn?

Schuamburg = Lombard?

Mt. Prospect = Elmhurst

These are just guesses. Maybe their all pretty similar. Curious to know what you think.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,766 times
No, I think that Wilmette is much closer to River Forest then Western Springs. The homes in Wilmette and River Forest and very similar and both much older than those in Western Springs. River Forest's home values are more in line with Wilmette, they are both much closer to downtown than Western Springs and both are next to a much larger less expensive liberal suburb (Evanston and Oak Park). Not sure what the argument for Wilmette being more like Western Springs than River Forest would be.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,815,368 times
La Grange and Park Ridge are nothing alike. La Grange has a very compact historic center with beatiful old victorian and craftsman homes--and has a street feel similar to northern Oak Park (the biggest difference is side garages instead of alley access). I don't think there's a match on the North Shore for La Grange. I guess the "newer" parts of La Grange are similar to Park Ridge in some ways, though.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Also, I don't see much similarity between Skokie and Berwyn/Forest Park. Skokie is much more affluent and new. I'd say Skokie is similar to the newer parts of Brookfield and La Grange. Or even Westchester, but with better schools and higher real estate prices.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Highland Park reminds me of Hinsdale.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM

305 posts, read 1,117,122 times
I think Wilmette is somewhat analagous to the combination of La Grange and Western Springs. East Wilmette (including downtown) has a similar feel to the historic area of La Grange, and West Wilmette has some similarities to Western Springs.

And I think I'd put Highland Park and Naperville together.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:14 PM

73 posts, read 163,776 times
Quote:
La Grange and Park Ridge are nothing alike. La Grange has a very compact historic center with beatiful old victorian and craftsman homes--and has a street feel similar to northern Oak Park (the biggest difference is side garages instead of alley access). I don't think there's a match on the North Shore for La Grange. I guess the "newer" parts of La Grange are similar to Park Ridge in some ways, though.
I respectfully disagree. I grew up in Park Ridge and now live in La Grange and am always struck by their similarities. Many of my family members and friends have also noticed the link. The area of Park Ridge Southeast of Uptown and the La Grange historic district have very similar housing. The "gold coast" area West of Brainard and North of 47th in LG and the houses in the PR country club area look very much alike. Both towns also have a large amount of Georgians and Colonials.

In addition, I think both towns attract people that value proximity to the city, good transportation options, and walkable neighborhoods. The sheer size of Park Ridge makes some areas in the far North and far South side of the town less walkable than most of La Grange, but (roughly) any neighborhood between Oakton & Devon enjoys a pedestrian-friendly lifestyle.

The towns aren't carbon copies of one another, but they're more alike than you may realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs