Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:01 PM

12 posts, read 26,659 times

Advertisements

I am conducting a small poll to improve my knowledge about the suburbs of Chicago and learn what people think of the towns that make up Chicagoland. Let me know what is your favorite place outside of the City of Chicago and why it is your favorite. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshberns View Post
I am conducting a small poll to improve my knowledge about the suburbs of Chicago and learn what people think of the towns that make up Chicagoland. Let me know what is your favorite place outside of the City of Chicago and why it is your favorite. Thank you!

Rockford. Because they have a big store there, its called a "Wal-Mart Super Center"....

Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Personal fav? Arlington Heights. Mass appeal? I dunno start at Evanston and go north until you hit Waukegan

Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
For me, it is a tough choice between Oak Park and Evanston. Why? I like that they border the city, yet are pretty safe (for the most part), have good shopping you can do in town, have train access to the city, and have good public schools. I personally prefer more inner-ring suburbs as opposed to ones further out (if it is within means). If "Hyde Park" was a suburb, then that would also be one of my favorites. Of course, it would probably have its own school system as well!

Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 AM

17,412 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Evanston.

I lived near the Noyes Cultural Center for a time and that particular area in Evanston holds a special place in my heart.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Arlington Heights, Downers Grove, Naperville, Elmhurst, Park Ridge, maybe Schamburg and Glenview. I prefer places that are closer to the city, have a good downtown and some cool stuff to do that distinguishes them from the other suburbs they border. For more of a rural-esque feel, I'd go with Barrington and Geneva.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Evanston.

I lived near the Noyes Cultural Center for a time and that particular area in Evanston holds a special place in my heart.
Yeah, that's where I used to live too. My dd went to classes there when she was in elementary school.

I love Evanston.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:17 AM

I have never lived in Oak Park, though I have heard good things about it.

I love Evanston.

1. Northwestern's campus is beautiful and open to everyone. The bike path and jogging/walking path extend all the way from the end of Northwestern's campus to the south end of Evanston along the beach.

2. Great beaches. You do have to pay for permits in the summer, but it's not exhorbitant if you live in Evanston.

3. Great restaurants in down town Evanston with many different ethnic flavors. Lulu's, Flat top grill, Trattoria Demi, Buffalo Joe's. Blind Faith Cafe on Dempster. Cross-Rhodes near main street.

4. Great festivals in the summer from top of the line juried art shows like the Davis Street Art Fair to eclectic festivals like the Lakefront fest with lots of African art and the Custer Street Fair with many eclectic crafts.

5. Wonderful schools both public and private.

6. Easy access to the *el* and metra. When I lived on the east side, I could be downtown in 20 minutes especially when the purple line was running.

7. World class library (I hate that Houston does NOT have one even in the city itself). Aside from Evanston's library - access to all the northshore libraries with an Evanston Library card is fantastic.

8. World class teaching hospital (Evanston Hospital). I delivered both my children there.

9. Wonderful and diverse housing stock though it is older.

10. Alley garbage pickup (something that the area I live in lacks now is alleys so we put garbage out front. I didn't like that in NYC either).

11. Great parks both for adults and kids. Lots of great activities at parks and recreation for the kids too. Ice Skating at Robert Crown. Sledding in James Park. Outdoor Ice Skating rinks during the season at local parks. The ecology center's green living festival is lovely too.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 AM

12 posts, read 26,659 times
I really appreciate the input. It seems most people comment about the northern suburbs. I am not too familiar with this area, as I mostly roam around the western and southern suburbs. So far Naperville has been my favorite. I like the river walk, health food stores and downtown scene.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshberns View Post
I really appreciate the input. It seems most people comment about the northern suburbs. I am not too familiar with this area, as I mostly roam around the western and southern suburbs. So far Naperville has been my favorite. I like the river walk, health food stores and downtown scene.
Where will you be working? The commute time will affect where you want to live too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs