Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 AM

10 posts, read 27,684 times

Advertisements

Hello- this is my first post, but reading through this forum has been very helpful so far. I am considering a move with my family due to a job opportunity by my husband (we have 4 children ages 3-11) to the Chicago suburbs. We would likely be looking to live in the North Shore, because that is where my husband would be working. We are from Greenwich, CT, so very used to high real estate prices. Being from New England, we ski a lot in the winter (in Vermont) and that gets us through the cold winters. What do people do in the Chicago area to survive (the cabin fever of) the cold winters?? What are the popular outdoor/winter activities?

on the fence . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 07:15 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Skiing is available but probably will require a farther drive and not provide the vertical heights you enjoy in New England. So. Wisconsin, NW Il and NE Iowa have some hills. Northern part of WI and lower MI and MI Upper Peninsula have some nicer vertical height hills that approach being called a mountain. Problem is, it can be a 5-7 hour drive to reach the bigger slopes. WI also has more consistent and deeper snow pack for cross country skiing and snow-mobiling. Often, you only need to go a couple hour north to have good snow. Plenty opportunities for ice skating and sledding in the local communities. And are CT. winters mild? I thought y'all got plenty of snow and cold also.

Winter is also a good time to enjoy the indoor activities you might currently enjoy in NYC. Museums, theater, concerts etc.

I am a cyclist/runner and although we had slightly above normal snow fall last winter, I was able to run outdoors for all but maybe 2 weeks total.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
Im not to familiar with the skiing in Vermont, but the places to ski in IL and WI are kind of a joke. None the less for young kids it may not matter since I would imagine they are still 'learning'. There are quite a few holiday events in Chicago in the winter which you can visit, go shopping, many free ice rinks, ect... There are really only a handful of days that you cant go outside because of the cold, just need to be prepared and not care what you look like.

On a side note Im getting sick of these winter posts, makes me want to bail out of work and enjoy the weather

Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcjamn1 View Post
What are the popular outdoor/winter activities?

Work is a popular outdoor activity.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 AM

68 posts, read 215,129 times
Kids play basketball or hockey in school or park district leagues. The lakefront is frozen in the winter, don't expect to take "walks" close to it much. If you want to ski, you'll probably have to do it over President's Day weekend and pay $5,000 or more to take the family to Colorado. I guess people work out in health clubs in the winter, that's about it.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 AM

33 posts, read 99,777 times
is there any good places for cross country skiing?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisklaw View Post
Kids play basketball or hockey in school or park district leagues. The lakefront is frozen in the winter, don't expect to take "walks" close to it much. If you want to ski, you'll probably have to do it over President's Day weekend and pay $5,000 or more to take the family to Colorado. I guess people work out in health clubs in the winter, that's about it.
And many do weekends into WI for $500 or LESS.

Quote:
is there any good places for cross country skiing?
The forest preserves and some of the State parks in IL & WI.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
Snowmobiling! Lots of great family fun! Depending on the snow depth you might not have to drive far. Otherwise northern WI almost always has snow. And they have a huge trail system.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Snowmobiling! Lots of great family fun! Depending on the snow depth you might not have to drive far. Otherwise northern WI almost always has snow. And they have a huge trail system.
Any suggestion in finding outfitters to rent from? We just got back from Copper Falls/Ashland & Door County and said "Wouldn't it be fun to try snow mobiling as a family outing?" Now I don't want to go that far up, but am open to driving 2-4 hours.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
The upper peninsula of Michigan has the best skiing I've seen in the midwest, but it's still pretty much a joke compared to what you would find in Vermont or Colorado. The serious skiiers I know around here head out west a few times each winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs