Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 8,417 times

Advertisements

I have been reading and rereading threads on this discussion. I took a job in Rogers Park, and will be relocating there toward the middle to end of summer from Kansas City area. My head is just swimming from so many possibilities. Every time I think I have it narrowed down a little bit, I read something else that changes my mind. So, I thought I would post what we are looking for, and see what you all say.

1. We don't like all the scrunched together, every house looks the same suburbs. We would prefer a little older 2 story house with a nice feel to the neighborhood.

2. We can't afford a ton, and don't need anything fancy (3 Bedrooms-1 bath). Probably under 300,000.

3. We need a decent school district for Special Education. My son will need LD and OT in Kindergarten.

4. We know taxes will be alot more than here, but we don't want a really high place for taxes.

5. A safe place to live with 2 kids.

6. A commute of under 1 hour. Right now we commute 45 minutes, so we are used to a little bit of a commute. (not sure where husband is going to work, but probably downtown somewhere.)

From reading some of the posts under Special Education and just the where should I live posts, here are some things that I have looked at. I found houses I liked in our price range in these places: Highland Park, Lake Forest, Mt. Prospect, La Grange, Elmhurst, Lombard, Lemont, Deer Park, and Grayslake. I think the last 2 are too far away from what I am hearing. Any input at all would be appreciated. Any yes's this place would be perfect, no's this place would not work for you, or any others to add to our list. We have yet to talk to School Districts or Realtors, but kind of wanted to see where to focus our attention. Thanks so much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
I would be shocked to see what >$300 buys in Lake Forest or Highland Park. Lemont is way to hard to get to Roger's Park. Heck I think Elmhurst would be a huge hassle, so that certainly rules out Lombard.

LaGrange is further south, which is not what you want from a commute stand point.

Mt. Prospect might work, though the nice stuff is going to be pricier than $300K, you might find a better deal in DesPlains or Prospect Heights.

Frankly I am not a fan of Evanston, but commute wise that is ideal for Roger's Park.

Money might go further in the surrounding 'burbs of Skokie, Niles, Morton Grove, but if you do not like the "srunched together" feel pickins' are slim. Lincolnwood might be a bit more "spread out" but you are not going to find quaint two stories, as that is astro-era ranch land...

Old 05-13-2009, 02:17 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,821,890 times
The problem with working in Rogers Park is that there is no great way to get east from the expressways, so you'd be smart to stay as close as possible. The closest suburbs to Rogers Park are Evanston, Skokie, Lincolnwood, Park Ridge, and Niles. Skokie, Niles, and Lincolnwood have those cookie cutter houses you seem to despise, though. Park Ridge is quite nice, but not very affordable. Evanston isn't affordable either--and you wouldn't want to live in the more affordable Evanston neighborhoods unless you want to be a so-called "urban pioneer".

The suburbs closest to Rogers Park along the lakefront are also quite expensive. You mentioned Highland Park and Lake Forest, and they are among the most expensive suburbs in Chicagoland! But if you go north and west from Rogers Park, you might be able to find a house for under $300,000. Arlington Heights has some older homes near it's downtown, and is much more affordable than, say, Park Ridge. Morton Grove is affordable, as is Mount Prospect. I personally don't like these areas much, but there's a reason that the charming suburbs cost more.

I'll add that many suburbs have older, more charming established neighbohoods near the train stations (i.e. Metra). This is how they originally developed. So looking near Metra stations might be a good option for you.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:52 PM

939 posts, read 2,382,430 times
There ARE a handful of houses that meet your criteria in Highland Park. I think people don't realize that HP probably has the widest range of housing prices in all of the Chicago area. Single family home listings from $250,000 at the very low end to $5,000,000+ at the high end. There's really every type of housing you could imagine, from the 1900's to new construction, from pre and post war bungalows to estate properties that look just like those of neighboring towns up and down the North Shore, and really everything in between. The big difference is what you are getting for your $300,000 in Highland Park versus somewhere else. There are a handful of homes in your price range, and many of them aren't dumps. They will be on the smaller side, mainly built from the 50's-70's (but there are exceptions), and they most surely aren't completely updated, but if those aren't your requirements, you can find some here and there. The commute would be around 45 minutes to Rogers Park. Sometimes less than that and highly dependent upon when you are going, where you live in Highland Park and where you work in Rogers Park. Unfortunately, I think Lake Forest would be too far. The best commute for your husband, unless he has strange hours, would be on Metra.

I know several people who have children using the special education services in the Highland Park district. I think overall, it's recognized as one of the better districts in this regard. There are children with a wide variety of needs at my children's school, and each child is mainstreamed to the extent possible. Sounds like your child would be in the "regular" classroom and pulled out for special services. Check out Northern Suburban Special Education District and North Shore School District 112, Highland Park, IL for more information about special education and the district itself.

The two requirements that you have that do not fit HP are low taxes and "scrunched together" housing. In your price range, you will not get any land to speak of (probably 40x130 to 60x150 lot size).

I think Mount Prospect is probably a good choice as well. The schools are good and you will get more for your dollar, but I don't know anything about the commute from there to Rogers Park.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,417 times
Thanks so much for the replies. I will check out the other areas mentioned. We are actually going to be there scouting in June. My husband is very handy, and we have done much improvement to our house we have now, including countertops and cabinets + tons more. We are not opposed to fixing things up as we live there over time. Keep any ideas/input coming. I really appreciate it.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,648,958 times
Why not live in West Ridge or Albany Park (in Chicago?)

Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,930,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Why not live in West Ridge or Albany Park (in Chicago?)
My guess is he is concerned with CPS schools.

Many CPS schools actually do a tremendous job with Special Ed.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,821,890 times
You could get a beautiful brick hex bungalow in West Ridge in that $300K range... Maybe even with a clay tile roof. Just sayin'.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,648,958 times
I would look into the neighborhoods of Budlong Woods,West Rogers Park,Arcadia Terrace,Peterson Park,Pulaski Park,Hollywood Park, North Park,Albany Park,Mayfair and North Mayfair. All in the city.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,930,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
I think Mount Prospect is probably a good choice as well. The schools are good and you will get more for your dollar, but I don't know anything about the commute from there to Rogers Park.
I would die a little bit inside trying to do that commute everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs