Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 02:49 PM

11 posts, read 29,255 times

Advertisements

I will be working in Park Ridge; my husband will be working in Chicago. Schools have a good reputation in Park Ridge, but I'm wondering if we would be happier in one of the neighborhoods closer to downtown somewhere along the train line: Edison Park, Norwood Park, Avondale, Irving Park. We have two little kids so school system is important, as is safety, of course. We lived in NYC for 15 years and we would like a walkable area, but also would like a 2/3 BR rental for $2000 or a 3BR+ house for $350K.

How long would the train commute be from Park Ridge? Schedules indicate about 25 minutes.

Any advice is very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 PM

921 posts, read 1,095,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyct View Post
I will be working in Park Ridge; my husband will be working in Chicago. Schools have a good reputation in Park Ridge, but I'm wondering if we would be happier in one of the neighborhoods closer to downtown somewhere along the train line: Edison Park, Norwood Park, Avondale, Irving Park. We have two little kids so school system is important, as is safety, of course. We lived in NYC for 15 years and we would like a walkable area, but also would like a 2/3 BR rental for $2000 or a 3BR+ house for $350K.

How long would the train commute be from Park Ridge? Schedules indicate about 25 minutes.

Train ride is appx 20-25 min. Very short and relaxing ride with Metra.
If you choose between Park Ridge, Edison Park, Norwood Park or Irwing Park...Park Ridge is the best option for you.
I am not familiar with Avondale though.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM

161 posts, read 211,484 times
Quote:

As far as life in Park Ridge, Edison Park, and Norwood Park, it is pretty much the same: suburban, white, safe. Irving Park is where it gets to be more urban. Housing prices in Edison Park and Norwood Park are relatively the same with Park Ridge's being higher. Rightfully so because although the Chicago neighborhoods are nice, the school system, especially at the high school level, leaves a lot to be desired.

25 minutes to 40 minutes from the Park Ridge stop is what you can expect.

I would say Park Ridge for buying a house, and as long as your kids are young enough, renting elsewhere until then would not make a difference.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM

169 posts, read 550,427 times
We've looked at Park Ridge and Edison Park and between the two we would have gone for Park Ridge (we ultimately decided against PR b/c of the noise from O'Hare even though the commute would have been awesome and it was #1 on our list for awhile for many reasons). The elementary schools in some NW Chicago neighborhoods aren't bad, but we wanted to buy in an area where our kids could stay in the same school district though middle school and high school and CPS just wasn't something we were interested in.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM

11 posts, read 29,255 times
Was going to ask about O'Hare noise. Any parts of Park Ridge that are less affected?

Would it be bad to live in Oak Park if I were working in Park Ridge? That's where we always thought we'd go until this job came up.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 AM

161 posts, read 211,484 times
Quote:
Was going to ask about O'Hare noise. Any parts of Park Ridge that are less affected?

Would it be bad to live in Oak Park if I were working in Park Ridge? That's where we always thought we'd go until this job came up.
The Northeast part of Park Ridge would be the quietest.

Oak Park would be fine.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:59 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Edison Park out of these options. The cps grade school is excellent. High school could be an issue. How old are the kids?

Old 04-06-2012, 03:09 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
Glenview, preferably Glenbrook South (to be closer to work). Should not be more than a 30 minute commute.
http://www.glenbrook225.org/Business...undaryMap.aspx
There are homes on the south side near Shermer and Central that should be in or close to your price range. Excellent Schools should be a priority and that is my bias against CPS and their system. They have a few of THE BEST high schools in the state, but the arcane system for getting in versus being assured of getting into a Glenbrook South does not compare!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:19 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Isn't it a byzantine system?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Isn't it a byzantine system?
Yes, that too as far as CPS goes. Along with the typical Chicago way waste and corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs