Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 03:10 PM

333 posts, read 1,148,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Skye and Urbanquest,

This is not a debate you will win.

If reference to section 8 vouchers in Chicago:

Blacks 86 percent
Hispanics 11 percent
Whites 3 percent

Now understand that Chicago's population is roughly 1/3 black, 1/3 white, 1/3 hispanic.

Now, feel free to try to debate these stats. This is an argument that has already been covered.
These ultra-liberals all must be tongue tied with these stats. Funny when they run out of ways to argue facts(truths)

Old 02-23-2009, 03:45 PM

358 posts, read 847,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Just get out of this debate. Urba Quest did when the stats were given.

I think you may be out of your league, especially with such overwhelming stats and other intellectuals on this forum against you.

Most blacks, whether rich or poor are law abiding but the stats do show that blacks (particular american born, non-immigrants) are many more times likely to be criminals or the victims of crime than any other race, even when you account for economics.

There is a reason why Lansing continues to decline and parts of the south loop are getting better (poor black population moving in and out).

Those stats were awesome and depressing at the same time.

Bravo Avengerfire.
So Humboldt, where do you fit? Are you a Clinton white, or a Bush White? Are you an Appalachian white? An urban white? Why is it so easy for you to paint with such a broad brush and hold such a high self belief that you're right, because you think statistics apply for an entire race, as long as you aren't included in said race. You speak no more for whites, blacks, asians, etc. than you do for anyone else. You believe that statistics are an opening for you to call out someone's race, creed, etc and twist them to "show" that an entire group is all the same.

I am me. You are you. A criminal is a criminal. A good person is a good person. I might be in a school of fish, but I'm special because I'm the brightest. When you figure out that all the fish look the same, but they're completely different, you'll have truly become an intellectual.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,318 times
Default Chummy

Stats don't lie. People do.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:12 PM

274 posts, read 709,722 times
Now I wish I never started this thread, but if it weren't for this thread, I would not have known who promis1 is.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,417 times
Uh, yes you would. He says the same thing in just about every other thread.

I personally enjoyed the discussion. To me though the main axis of disagreement sounds like the same old "most x are y, but not most y are x".
There is really nothing to debate there as far as I can tell.

As for the reasons why, who as it fault, victimhood, free will, genetics, etc. that will be debated forever and no one will ever win or be able to prove anything definitively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
Now I wish I never started this thread, but if it weren't for this thread, I would not have known who promis1 is.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,036,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
yes, he's quickly headed for City Data stardom.

I think the whole point of this thread is to hammer home the point now that a minority is the King of the World, in essence, it's time for certain groups to quit making excuses for reasons as to why they are not where they would like to be. It's time for certain groups to quit blaming others and take responsibility for themselves and the situation that they are in. It's time for certain groups to bury their hate for the other groups that feed and clothe their children and put a roof over their head with the other people's hard earned money. If we all want equality, it's time for everyone to step up to the plate and quit acting like children. I think the point of this thread is to express the frustrations that most people have with certain kinds of peole that don't take the initiative to better themselves when they are perfectly capable of doing so, thus becoming not only a drain to society but a drain to the people's pockets who do the right thing. That's what is wrong with this country, the people who do the right thing get penalized while the people who do the wrong thing get rewarded.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 02-24-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post

I think the whole point of this thread is to hammer home the point now that a minority is the King of the World, in essence, it's time for certain groups to quit making excuses for reasons as to why they are not where they would like to be. It's time for certain groups to quit blaming others and take responsibility for themselves and the situation that they are in. It's time for certain groups to bury their hate for the other groups that feed and clothe their children and put a roof over their head with the other people's hard earned money. If we all want equality, it's time for everyone to step up to the plate and quit acting like children. I think the point of this thread is to express the frustrations that most people have with certain kinds of peole that don't take the initiative to better themselves when they are perfectly capable of doing so, thus becoming not only a drain to society but a drain to the people's pockets who do the right thing. That's what is wrong with this country, the people who do the right thing get penalized while the people who do the wrong thing get rewarded.
You have hit that one on the nail!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:19 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,417 times
I vibe with your point, but I still have a problem directing such a screed toward blacks in general. You might say that you aren't or even intend not to, but it does come across that way, at least to me. There are just so many blacks in Chicago that don't fit that mold at all and would furthermore probably even agree with the point you're making. If you're talking about a certain relatively extensive class of ghetto blacks, popular black demagogues, ghetto Mexicans, and even the handful of ghetto whites that are still in the city, then I agree.

Quote:

Old 02-24-2009, 02:49 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,036,491 times
yeah, i hear you. i actually am one of the few white people to work for the state of illinois here in chicago. there are mostly black, then whites/latinos with a couple asians. bottomline is these people i get along with because they have jobs and seem to value many of the things that i do. it's just that large amount of people (%) of certain groups that DO NOT value the things that I and my fellow co-workers do that gets me going because that HAS TO CHANGE! other than that, i'm all good. it may seem like i am pointing out flaws in a certain group or picking on another one but the bottomline is REALITY. and reality is what it is. thus, i am commenting on it.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:47 PM

333 posts, read 1,148,274 times
Quote:
yeah, i hear you. i actually am one of the few white people to work for the state of illinois here in chicago. there are mostly black, then whites/latinos with a couple asians. bottomline is these people i get along with because they have jobs and seem to value many of the things that i do. it's just that large amount of people (%) of certain groups that DO NOT value the things that I and my fellow co-workers do that gets me going because that HAS TO CHANGE! other than that, i'm all good. it may seem like i am pointing out flaws in a certain group or picking on another one but the bottomline is REALITY. and reality is what it is. thus, i am commenting on it.
Great point- I tried repping you, but they would not allow me to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs