Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,035 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Beverly. It's a wonderful area...straight east down 95th street - of Chicago Ridge. It has great shops, good restaurants and is diverse. It's also a quick train ride into the city on Metra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 PM

56 posts, read 143,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogirl1 View Post
I have a new job in the chicago ridge area, I don't know much about the area, but during my search through the neighborhoods they seem to be predominatley white (I am not, and don't want to deal with a lot of racism).

I would like an area that is safe, but no more than 10-15 min away from the chicago ridge area, I don't mind the prices being a little high, and with a good mix of people (races).

*disclaimer:I recognize that all white people are not racist, but I just don't feel like dealing with the one's that are on a daily basis...thanks
You are the racist. Your entire search for a location is based on race? Why don't you try and think about people based on their human qualities? without the prejudice based on someone's skin?

Ridiculous. Black people know more about "race", think about race, act in racial ways, far more than Whites do.

If there is anyone who is the racist, it sure sounds like you. Your disclaimer is non-credible, because on a daily basis Blacks are more racist than Whites are. I'd say obsessed with it.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you are so right 30 years makes a difference.... were predominately black.
Cicero was never majority black. Cicero use to be predominately white. Cicero is over 80% Hispanic now.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogirl1 View Post
I have a new job in the chicago ridge area, I don't know much about the area, but during my search through the neighborhoods they seem to be predominatley white (I am not, and don't want to deal with a lot of racism), I would like an area that is safe, but no more than 10-15 min away from the chicago ridge area, I don't mind the prices being a little high, and with a good mix of people (races).

*disclaimer:I recognize that all white people are not racist, but I just don't feel like dealing with the one's that are on a daily basis...thanks
Chicago Ridge and nearby Bridgeview have a growing Arab/Middle Eastern population.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelrich View Post
You are the racist. Your entire search for a location is based on race? Why don't you try and think about people based on their human qualities? without the prejudice based on someone's skin?

Ridiculous. Black people know more about "race", think about race, act in racial ways, far more than Whites do.

If there is anyone who is the racist, it sure sounds like you. Your disclaimer is non-credible, because on a daily basis Blacks are more racist than Whites are. I'd say obsessed with it.
His post didn't say anything about black people. What made you bring up black people? Just because he/she ask if the area have alot of racism, don't mean the OP is racist?

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-29-2008 at 01:29 AM..

Old 10-29-2008, 01:59 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,267 times
She don't want to live in a predominantly white area because she does not want to be a sellout oreo.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,340 times
Alsip has some racial mixing. You could check that town out and see how you feel about it. Or else look into Oak Lawn. Oak Lawn has some old-school prejudiced attitudes, but all sorts of people keep coming.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 AM

33 posts, read 142,636 times
Even though the area is predominately white I don't think you are going to experience anymore racism than anywhere else. Chicago Ridge and Oak lawn are great areas for children and their park districts are wonderful. You are close to a lot of shopping and easy access to the toll road. I live in Merrionette Park and there a lot of whites in the area but I have not experienced any racism. I would definitely move into that area.

Last edited by annmonee; 10-29-2008 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-29-2008, 08:18 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelrich View Post

Judging by your past posts, I wouldn't be calling anyone a racist if I were you.

Actually, there are some blacks in Chicago Ridge, as well as Oak Lawn, and Evergreen Park to the east. Also, the Ashburn area of Chicago to the north (around 83rd & Kedzie) seems to have a good mix of black, Hispanic, and white.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
She don't want to live in a predominantly white area because she does not want to be a sellout oreo.
How do you know the OP is black? And BTW, I know what the term oreo means, so don't try to make any excuses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs