Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 AM

179 posts, read 468,899 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,
I am travelling up to Downer's Grove for the weekend. Unfortunately, it is a work trip so there will be very little sightseeing. When I am this type of situation I don't like to travel late just because it is hard to find my way around. I was hoping for some food recommendations while I am in town. I am from South Texas and have heard nothing but good things about food in Chicago. In fact a friend has stated that hotdogs and pizza anywhere else, really are not hotdogs or pizza. I have been told about Jakes Pizza, Portillo's, and Giordano's. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Shoot right down Ogden Avenue in Downers Grove and head West until you get into Naperville (about a 15 minute drive). At Washington, make a left (South). Make a right on Jefferson and head into downtown. Right after you pass the GAP on the SW corner, find a place to park. There is a Lou Malnati's pizza joint right there, which is one of my personal faves. There are also tons of other restaurants downtown, but if you want a good Chicago pizza, I recommend it. You could also continue on Jefferson past downtown and head back out to Ogden Avenue (it wraps around really weird, but yes, its Ogden Avenue (US34) again waaaay over there---dont freak out) which you can take north (right) to North Aurora Rd. Take that West (left) for a short distance until you hit Rt. 59. Take a left (South) and drive about a 1/2 mile, there is a Portillos on the left hand side of Rt. 59 (past the Key Wester). If you go to Portillos and like beef, get the Italian Beef with hot peppers and a nice side of cheese fries.

Dammit. Now Im hungry.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:28 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
There's a Portillo's much closer on Butterfield Rd. in Downers Grove. You can google directions to here: 1500 Butterfield
Downers Grove IL 60515

Old 09-04-2008, 02:29 PM

610 posts, read 2,730,266 times
At Portillos you need to get the Italian Beef, the Chicago dog, the fries AND the chocolate cake. Fabulous!

Ginos East and Lou Malnati's serve great Chicago style pizza.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:16 PM

179 posts, read 468,899 times
thank you all for your responses...i have already planned on portillos for two meals.....the dogs and the italian beef....i will add the cheese fries for sure....

THank you

Old 09-04-2008, 10:04 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Ballydoyle Irish Pub in downtown Downers Grove has pretty decent food. And they have live music starting at 9 p.m. on the weekends with a $5 cover charge, as well as a good beer selection and a fun crowd.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:41 AM

610 posts, read 2,730,266 times
Emmets Ale House is in downtown Downers Grove if you want to walk around downtown.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementius88 View Post
thank you all for your responses...i have already planned on portillos for two meals.....the dogs and the italian beef....i will add the cheese fries for sure....

THank you

The hot-dog stand on Ogden a block west of Main is better than Portillos, the guy makes fresh cut fries instead of that frozen Ora-Ida junk like Portillos.

For a good beef skip Portillos and go to Bouna's, there's one at 22nd St and Finley and another at 75th and Cass.

The Omega on Ogden is a good Greek diner. We take such restaurants for granted in Chicago but down here in Kentucky such places don't exist; just Dennys and the Waffle House.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:39 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The hot-dog stand on Ogden a block west of Main is better than Portillos, the guy makes fresh cut fries instead of that frozen Ora-Ida junk like Portillos.

For a good beef skip Portillos and go to Bouna's, there's one at 22nd St and Finley and another at 75th and Cass.

The Omega on Ogden is a good Greek diner. We take such restaurants for granted in Chicago but down here in Kentucky such places don't exist; just Dennys and the Waffle House.
Good advice! And Italian Beef from Buona Beef is better than Portillo's, hands down. But if you can't find a unique local place, Portillo's is at least consistently good.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Oh yeah LK, Portillo's is good.

If there was one in Kentucky it would be the best place in the state. Then Waffle House would drop to second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs