Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 01:28 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post

I'm glad you've enjoyed reading my posts I hope I haven't tainted my reputation

I've been up yonder many times. I'm sorry - I don't have a Porshe, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, nor do I want one...

The homes are too big, and there's nothing reasonably priced to eat. Too much franchise and not enough mom and pop. I'm a simple woman (lifestyle).

Diversity is okay there, but I just don't think people like myself would fit in...It's not a bad place to live, but it's just not for me. Don't get me wrong
I'll give you that, there are lots of nice cars, but I have to wonder if you've ever really been to the true NS when you comment about too many franchises... take a drive through Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Highwood and Lake Forest. It's mostly independent stores, retail and restaurants, not many franchises or national chains at all. That's one of the things I like about it. I can't think of any franchise/chain type restaurants except in Highland Park which has a Burger King (also one in Lake Forest), McDonalds (also one in Winnetka), Wendy's, and Dairy Queen - and fast food chains are in almost every suburb in the Chicago metro area. Isn't there a McDonald's in CCH? Starbuck's in Homewood?

Also,the North Shore has several pockets of old, very large homes, but by and large, many of the homes aren't nearly as big as some of the new construction in many Chicago suburbs.

If it's not for you, I understand that, everyone has a place they feel comfortable. But please don't think that people on the North Shore are walking around talking about how much money they have. Actually, I'll go out on a limb and say they may talk about it less than many other places. Nothing to back that statement up though!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:42 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Even the toniest areas of Chicagoland are down to earth compared to everyplace else I've lived. That's what I like about this area. I'm sure there are a few more snobs on the north shore than in working class areas, but the typical attitude even there strikes me as very grounded.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Even the toniest areas of Chicagoland are down to earth compared to everyplace else I've lived. That's what I like about this area. I'm sure there are a few more snobs on the north shore than in working class areas, but the typical attitude even there strikes me as very grounded.
I agree. I'm sure the snob factor is higher on the NS than in working class areas.

Do you currently live in Beverly? To me, Beverly (especially east of Western and south of 95th) physically looks almost exactly like much of the NS.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:16 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
I agree. I'm sure the snob factor is higher on the NS than in working class areas.

Do you currently live in Beverly? To me, Beverly (especially east of Western and south of 95th) physically looks almost exactly like much of the NS.
Yes, I live in the historic district. Was shocked the first time I saw it -- as close to the north shore as you can come on the south side. The business districts are inferior but the homes and scenery are very beautiful.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy King View Post
those with less than stellar reputations due to crime include: Aurora; Maywood; Bellwood; Ford Heights; Phoenix; Chicago Heights; and recently- Hanover Park.....
Well according to the stats, Hanover crime rate is blow average.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:49 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Did my post get deleted?

Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 PM

274 posts, read 709,019 times
Quote:
Did me post get deleted?
yes.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I want to know everybody's opinion on which suburb of Chicago have the worst reputation ?
I would say Dolton would top the list. After all, it is not a compliment to be known as a "Dolt". That would be followed by foul smelling places like Harvey and Gary.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would say Dolton would top the list. After all, it is not a compliment to be known as a "Dolt". That would be followed by foul smelling places like Harvey and Gary.
I never thought Dolton was that bad...never felt unsafe.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:17 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
I never thought Dolton was that bad...never felt unsafe.
I didn't feel unsafe there. I just felt like it was a low class kind of place. Sort of like a big trailer park without the trailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs