Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,712 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Chicago in the near future. We would like move to a suburb close to Mettawa. Any recommendations for nice suburbs with home prices apprx between $400-$500 with good schools (we have to elemantary school age children). We would love to live somewhere that is safe, friendly. We speak Spanish and English to our children, so it will be nice to be somewhere where people will not be offended when they hear another language (been there before). Hopefully a place where there are not too many snobby people. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 12:19 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,280 times
I would recommend you take a look at Highwood or Highland Park. They have a sizable Hispanic population and the spanish language is very important to the community. I would highly recommend the Fort Sheridan area for you, although you might not find a single-family you could find a decent townhome or rowhome across from the large park/field area near Lake Michigan. Highwood and Fort Sheridan will have a less snooty attitude because most of the neigborhood looks the same because it is an old military base. You could definitely find a smaller single-family home in Highland Park or Highwood. Highwood can be very sketchy though, so consult a realtor before making the plunge. I have a realtor that can help you just PM me for the info. Libertyville could also be good. It is not probably the community you are looking for but it is next to Mettawa, in fact Mettawa has Libertyville schools along with Green Oaks. You could definitely have you little traditional piece of suburbia in Libertyville for that. You might also want to check out the Knollwood neighborhood of Lake Bluff. Homes there are generally under $600,000. You get good top-rated schools also with all of these communities. When doing an MLS search on realtor.com. You must put in Highland Park or Highwood to get listings in Fort Sheridan because it is not an independent community. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions and take a look at the Chicago Suburbs Picture Thread I have photos of Highwood, Fort Sheridan, and Highland Park on there towards the last pages.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,507 times
Vernon Hills and Libertyville would be good places to look. You can get a decent sized house, and the schools are quite good. Your dollar wouldn't go quite as far in HP or HW.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,712 times
Thank you for the replies. I will look into those areas. Our main concern is finding a house in a safe neighborhood with great schools, close to Mettawa area where my husband most likely be working. Our price for a house will be under $600,000. My children speak very little Spanish and my husband none. I speak Spanish and I want to teach them, that's the reason I wanted to live somewhere where people are more tolerant of other languages and hopefully friendly!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM

17 posts, read 77,586 times
Where is Mettawa please?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:10 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,507 times
Mapquest

Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspect1 View Post
Where is Mettawa please?
Mettawa, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 PM

702 posts, read 2,522,797 times
You could try Mundelein too. I'm sorry you experienced people who didn't appreciate a little diversity. I'll sign up for your Spanish lessons! My husband's mother speaks Spanish and he took Spanish to fulfill his college requirements and speaks Spanish pretty well, so I would love to learn. I'm a quick study!

Seriously, I wish you good luck finding a nice home and nice neighbors!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM

939 posts, read 2,379,091 times
I think you should also check out Deerfield.

Highland Park does have a dual language program (Spanish immersion).

Old 07-03-2008, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,673 times
I agree w/ previous poster: Libertyville is a great area with a cute downtown area that has a farmers market, nice shops & restaurants, car shows, and lots of other activities througout the year. I'm hispanic and my husband is the "All-American boy", blending 2 families together. In '03 we moved from Cary and were considering Libertyville, but was out of our price range. It is much more affordable this year and you can find lots in your price range from cottage homes to mid-century type homes to new construction. Great schools, metra train to Chicago, expressway nearby, quaint neighborhoods, bike trails, lakes, friendly downtown and friendly people. Historically, retains home values well. Good luck & welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs