Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,114 times

Advertisements

Dear friends,
We are moving to chicago and would like to know a good suburb to move into. My husband works in hoffman estates. Would like to know a good suburb with metra connection close to hoffman estates. I dont have a job yet but I want to have the flexiblity to travel to downtown if I end up with a job there. Would also be helpful if somebody can list few very good montessori/private schools for my 3 year old son. The school will be the top priority. Any suggestions on quality montessori school is appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,731,969 times
Palatine, Barrington, South Barrington, Schaumburg. Basically any NW suburb. Let us know your price range so we can provide more of an answer. The variations in price between suburbs and even within suburbs are staggering.

If you are set on montessori/private schools, they are expensive and where you live isn't as much of an issue because you won't have your child attending public schools. There are a few Catholic schools in the area as well if you are Catholic.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 5,114 times
Would like to rent a condo 2 bed 2 bath for 1000-1300$. Not looking at catholic schools. Just a good private school with PK through atleast 1st grade.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,731,969 times
Downtown Palatine has a plethora of apartments in that price range and a METRA station. Downtown Arlington Heights is possible if you find the right place based on the price.
Barrington will probably be out of the price range.
Unforunately, I don't know about the Montessori schools. There is one in Long Grove, but that is not around the corner from downtown Palatine or any of the above listed areas.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,627,789 times
My kids went to Montessori School in Barrington thru kindegarten (Barrington rd. ) Also, went to Montessori. Childrens House (North Barrington) for toddler/mom program. Was very pleased. He is in Middle school now here,so its been awhile but they are worth checking out.
There are rentals in your price range here. Very nice community. Metra downtown,Easy commute to HE.

There is also Montessori School in Long Grove that goes to I believe, 6th grade. I am sure there are plenty of rentals to choose from in next door Buffalo Grove (also a Metra) if you cant find one in LG.

A very good private school in Palatine is Quest Academy. I believe its 1st-8th.

Last edited by nanannie; 04-08-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 AM

38 posts, read 104,591 times
Not sure on the schools except Palatine has a gifted school called Quest Acadamy. Very expensive though.

I'm not sure what the rent prices are now but there are options availble due to the housing crunch almost anywhere. If you want a downtown feel, there's Palatine and Arlington Heights. Both also have suburban neighborhoods that are great for families.

Schaumburg is an option too but I didn't like living there very much. Traffic is bad on the east side where the mall and buisiness are. The west side isn't very nice IMO. Parts of Hoffman Estates are good too. The Barrington towns are quite expensive.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:14 PM

8 posts, read 15,353 times
Arlington Heights is a fabulous community right on the Metra line. There is still a small community feel even though its grown so much, and the downtown area is fabulous.

Their public schools are excellent, but if you are set on the Montessori, I know they have those too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs