Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 03:10 PM

121 posts, read 175,531 times

Advertisements

I’ve been noticing an uptick in home sales in the NW Suburbs. If I had to guess it’s due to low inventory and demand (maybe some of the demand is from people leaving the city?) exceeding supply but I’m surprised to see so many homes off the market in this current climate.

Anyone else noticing a similar pattern in Illinois?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 03:22 PM

21,914 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic87 View Post
I’ve been noticing an uptick in home sales in the NW Suburbs. If I had to guess it’s due to low inventory and demand (maybe some of the demand is from people leaving the city?) exceeding supply but I’m surprised to see so many homes off the market in this current climate.

Anyone else noticing a similar pattern in Illinois?
Yep. Things are going crazy up here on the Northshore. People all leaving the city.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:34 PM

93 posts, read 125,968 times
Yes, homes that are priced right are selling really quickly. Like selling within a day, and sometimes with multiple offers over list price.

In Northwest Indiana, one home just went under contract for $20,000 over list price within a day of listing. Another home I showed had over 20 showings on the first day, and accepted an offer by the afternoon. It's really a crazy market, and it sounds cliche, but it's true! Lol. Now, these same findings might not be true for every suburb and price point, but this has been generally what I'm seeing.

I agree that much of it has to do with people leaving the city, but the inventory is so low, while the demand is quite high, which just adds to the speed of the market.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:33 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Inventory is low due to the pandemic. In general, home transactions are not higher year-over-year.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:41 PM

121 posts, read 175,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Inventory is low due to the pandemic. In general, home transactions are not higher year-over-year.
What about home values? The number of home sales might have decreased but the average/median home sale value is probably right around it was last year if not higher?

Last edited by Logic87; 07-27-2020 at 04:52 PM..

Old 07-27-2020, 05:43 PM

21,914 posts, read 9,486,318 times
I agree about homes selling that are priced right. Homes that were overpriced are still mostly sitting. (Except the house I wanted. It sold. (Where's the crying emoji?) But we are probably leaving Illinois anyway so I guess it's good.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
Yes, homes that are priced right are selling really quickly. Like selling within a day, and sometimes with multiple offers over list price.

In Northwest Indiana, one home just went under contract for $20,000 over list price within a day of listing. Another home I showed had over 20 showings on the first day, and accepted an offer by the afternoon. It's really a crazy market, and it sounds cliche, but it's true! Lol. Now, these same findings might not be true for every suburb and price point, but this has been generally what I'm seeing.

I agree that much of it has to do with people leaving the city, but the inventory is so low, while the demand is quite high, which just adds to the speed of the market.
What about south suburbs?

Old 07-27-2020, 07:46 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic87 View Post
What about home values? The number of home sales might have decreased but the average/median home sale value is probably right around it was last year if not higher?
That's highly localized. Home value is hard to determine, because it's based on what inventory is actually moving. Most of the higher-end locations (Evanston, Winnetka, Hinsdale, etc.) are down year-over-year.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:50 PM

93 posts, read 125,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDriver View Post
What about south suburbs?
The south suburbs are proving to be much of the same, depending on which community. If it's priced correctly, it can go fairly quickly. Homewood, Flossmoor, Crete, and Olympia Fields tend to be moving decently, particularly for affordable homes. Homes tend to sit a bit longer in Illinois than they do in Indiana, but the craziness is similar (ex: waiting in line to show homes, multiple offer situations).

It's not on the same level of crazy as seen in Northwest Indiana, but, from my experience, there's definite positive activity in the south suburbs. In regards to home values, I think there's been an increase in home values across the board (of course, depending on the community) compared to this same time last year. What's seen in the south suburbs or NWI will likely be different than what's occurring in the North Shore and NW suburbs.

I'm not sure I can link articles here or not, but there are some interesting articles on home sales in Chicagoland on Chicago Agent Magazine's website.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:44 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post

Sounds about right. I have a friend who's a realtor and his spring season basically delayed through spring and then compressed into late May through early July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs