Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 10:52 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Hiruko, you're in the suburbs forums, too?

In another topic, I had a pleasant dialogue with Chicagoisthebest, which I appreciated.

Hiruko, I am with you in I also am a Naperville fan. I have not been there for 2 + years, however.

Evanston, a lot of it, reminds me of a typical college town. Nice downtown. I like their library and Barnes and Noble. I like their American Indian Museum. They have very nice parks and beaches. I like to look at the houses, as well. A couple of times I rode the entire Northshore bike trail which begins at Green Bay Road.

Neither town is my usual stomping grounds, but certainly nice to visit for me.
Coming away with the perception that Evanston is a "typical college town" is somewhat understandable. However, it certainly has more in common with Palo Alto or Cambridge than it does Champaign and Urbana or Madison, for example. Digging below the surface, you'll also find something that sets it apart from other "college towns." The City and its residents tend to have an antagonistic relationship with the University on most issues, and the vast majority of Evanstonians have no association with it. It is more a bedroom community for its residents than a college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 12:16 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Hiruko, thank you. My cousin from Milwaukee attended Northwestern and then became an official Illinois resident.

I was not aware of the division between those who are in Evanston for being college students there, against those who live in Evanston based on the mere fact that "yes, this is where we live (with no connection necessarily to the University).

Either way, it is very much a beautiful town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs