Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 24,543 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to this area. I have not heard much about Burnham IL. So if someone can please give me insight on the area I would appreciate it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 05:53 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
It's a bizarre little town with two tiny residential areas separated by a huge swath of industrial land, bordering the ghettos of Calumet City to the south, and the more stable (for now) Chicago neighborhood of Hegewisch to the north.

Burnham, IL

http://www.vandewalle.com/work/sscbc/Burnham.pdf

Last edited by prairiestate; 04-26-2008 at 06:02 AM..

Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 PM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
It's a bizarre little town with two tiny residential areas separated by a huge swath of industrial land, bordering the ghettos of Calumet City to the south, and the more stable (for now) Chicago neighborhood of Hegewisch to the north.

Burnham, IL

http://www.vandewalle.com/work/sscbc/Burnham.pdf
I also think that the area off of Torrence south of the Ford plant is Burnham as well as as small section north of State Street and east of Torrence is technically Burnham too.

I grew up in Hegewisch just to the north and I've never known a single person who lived or grew up in Burnham ... which is pretty strange come to think of it.

But I think Burnham's biggest, well, and possibly only, claim to fame is that Al Capone supposedly had a home in Burnham - on Burham Ave, right across from the golf course. (It looks very different from most of the homes and has sort of an underground garage on the south side.) Supposedly, there was an underground tunnel that ran from the golf course to this home.

Last edited by Chuckity; 04-27-2008 at 07:37 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 12,295 times
What do you want to know. I have lived there for about 25 years I was born there. I moved from there about 2 years ago and it was going downhill and FAST. I lived on the side of burnham where the little calumet river was so I can only comment on that side.

The town itself is small and has its own police station and fire department. If you have kids you will want to be on the other side of burnham for better schools in my opinion. There are no grocery stores in the town and your mail will come from Hegewisch. You will have a Chicago zip code which may make your insurance higher.

The only really good thing about it is its close to the xpressway and train station for commuting downtown.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 31,388 times
Where did you finally move to? I would have suggested Hammond, Indiana--just east of Burnham (same train for commuting). And the houses are cheaper...

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 24,543 times
Hello, All

I appreciate all of those responses. I did visit Burnham, and some of the people were not so friendly and I have already reconsidered moving into the area.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 11,742 times
I grew up in Burnham. I lived right by the Burnham Park and the railroad tracks. We had a lot of family members that lived there too. However, over the years almost all my family moved out because it went down hill. There is a lot of crime now and problems with drugs like crack. If you wanted to move there 20 years ago I would suggest it but not now. The whole story with Capone is that he lived there and had an underground tunnel that ran from the golf course and all over town. In my house, there was a fake fireplace in the basement and when you pulled a rope the fireplace came up and you could access that tunnel.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 AM

358 posts, read 847,198 times
Burnham is the visionary town dreamed up by Daniel Burnham. It's a utopian village that incorporates all of his ideas, his visions, his dreams....or it's a real slum if I'm reading your posts right.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 AM

1 posts, read 11,188 times
Smile too cool

Did you or your family ever access the tunnel?? Any pictures??
i am a fan of the History of Capone era and History!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 9,803 times
Default hello about burnham

I grew up in burham in the 70's and 80's. A great place to grow up back then. My uncle lved in hegewisch which is just north of Burnham accross the tracks! Hegewisch is considered chicago which my uncle was a cop and had to live in the city. Calumet City was to the south and was ok. Hammond was to the east which wasnt far at all. Burnham was a great place to grow up in and every knew each other. Now neighborhood has really gone down hill like Calumet City! A lot more crime and hoodlums . Burnham had a nice gold course which is forest perserve where I learned to golf. Went there last year and it was really run down. That is a shame really was a nice couse. always heard the rumors of al capone house and hide out but no one could confirm. on ave 0 or burnham ave there ere two big houses and one was supposed to have a tunnel going to te golf course again no one could confirm. But a lot of stuff to do when I was a kid play sports or go fishing less than 2 miles away . If you asked me if I would live there now as I went back to visit I would say no way!! I live in NW Indiana now and love it except for winter! Illinois is too expensive evrything is too high gas, taxes ,liquor and property taxes Burnham was nice but my advice find somewhere else!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs