Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 01:29 PM

10 posts, read 43,829 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job in Burnham that would require me to relocate. I'm looking for someplace to live where a single female would feel safe. I like Oak Lawn, Worth, Mt. Greenwood, etc...but wonder how my commute would be. Would I be risking my life driving across 127th/130th every day? Or is it not that bad as long as I don't leave the main road? What if I lived in say, Bridgeport, would travelling down 94 be a commuting nightmare? Ideally, I want to have as short a commute as possible, but obviously my safety comes first. Are there other options I'm missing? Indiana??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:47 PM

142 posts, read 427,431 times
127th east of Western Ave. isn't the best, but you wouldn't be "risking your life", especially if you're just driving through. Altgeld Gardens area is rough, but other than that it's really an "industrial" feel in that area. I would consider Oak Lawn/Worth/Palos Heights/Crestwood to be a fine commute from there, probably no more than 30-40 min. each way. All are safe areas.

Your commute from Bridgeport wouldn't be terrible either, since it would be a reverse commute. I would definitely consider Bridgeport or the aforementioned SW burbs a better option than NW Indiana.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:01 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,849 times
NW Indiana is a lot closer, and a lot cheaper then the Illinois side of the border.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:46 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,505 times
I agree with the post that 127th /130th has an industrial feel. I do not think you would run into problems driving it. You might consider Alsip in addition to the others you liked. It would be a little closer, and they have a decent rec center and library (as does Oak Lawn).

Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,269 times
I live in Burnham, and commute to Aurora. I avoid 127th because of the long lights and the occasional long trains. Sibley (147th) is fine; it goes through some seedy neighborhoods, but at least it's well-traveled. The recently improved tollway is nice, too. From 127th and Cicero, it's 25 minutes to Burnham whether you get on I-294 S to I-94 W to Sibley E, or if you just go south on Cicero, then turn east on Sibley. Hope that helps.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 PM

10 posts, read 43,829 times
Thanks for all of the information so far. It's very helpful.

What about living in Hegewisch? Is that a fairly safe area?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM

142 posts, read 427,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosleysock View Post

My only experience in Hegewisch was a baseball tournament I played in about 10 years ago. It's tucked into a very industrial area, i.e. trains, landfills, factories. Not sure about how safe it is, I just think you could do better if you went with the suburbs west of Western Ave. from 95th St. to 147th (Sibley Blvd.) or even NW Indiana.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosleysock View Post

I think so. There was a mugging a few years, which was widely reported, but that's not usual. Hegewisch has a very small town feel. Many of the residents are Chicago policemen for whom Chicago residence is a job requirement. My kids (who lived with their mother) used to walk to the only school, which served grades one through eight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT83 View Post
My only experience in Hegewisch was a baseball tournament I played in about 10 years ago. It's tucked into a very industrial area, i.e. trains, landfills, factories. Not sure about how safe it is, I just think you could do better if you went with the suburbs west of Western Ave. from 95th St. to 147th (Sibley Blvd.) or even NW Indiana.
Well, Muenster would be more of a plug-in replacement for Oak Lawn, but consider this: Hegewisch is on the way up. Because it's Chicago, it has more resources than a small suburb, while taxes remain lower. The Park District got a new pool a few years ago, Hegewisch downtown has been improved recently, and the new South Shore station was just completed last summer. (Many folks from Muenster drive to Hegewisch to park and take the train downtown; you could walk.)

I just wish I had given Hegewisch more consideration when I was shopping for a home. Home prices have held up slightly better in Hegewisch than they have in Burnham -- though Burnham, in turn, is doing a lot better than some neighboring towns -- but homes in this area are still quite cheap.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 10,808 times
I just found this site. I lived as a small child in Burnham (1960's) and remember walking over to hegewish. I can barely remember this stuff. I do remember a tavern called TALLYHO in Burnham, also a park and a shcool on the other end of town. Long Long time ago. My brother and I would walk over to hegewish (not sure how far) and go into taverns and shine shoes. We would then go to a pizza lace called Mama Dias or go to the Vienna Hot Dog place. My sister worked there. Those we're the days....... never have been back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs