Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:30 PM

320 posts, read 717,933 times

Advertisements

Cal City is not the ghetto. Maybe it is for "suburban" standards, but it doesn't compare to the real ghettos of of the burbs such as Harvey, Robbins, Ford Heights, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 10,804 times
I used to live in Burnham in early 60's

Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 10,804 times
Anyone remember the TALLYHO Tavern.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:54 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,721 times
Looks like home prices in Burnham have dropped precipitiously... to levels similar to homes in Gary.

Real Estate Search | Redfin

There's a dozen under $30,000 and some as cheap as $12,000.

If you click on any house on that list, and then page down a little bit, it shows the graph of home prices. The massive drop occurred just this year.

I'm not hearing any news stories about Burnham though -- so are these price reductions because of crime/gangs/quality-of-life or is this simply economic fallout from the housing crisis?

Apparently TF North rates a 2 on greatschools.net, so that doesn't help matters any.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 8,624 times
Yes. Was that right near the park?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 PM

Default Moving to Burnham, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by firre12 View Post
I am considering moving to this area. I have not heard much about Burnham IL. So if someone can please give me insight on the area I would appreciate it. Thanks
You've probably moved already..I just came across your post.
I lived there 42 years ago, for 11 years.
It was a quiet little village. I was on the east side of the river on Mackinaw Ave.
I remember lots of taverns.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I also think that the area off of Torrence south of the Ford plant is Burnham as well as as small section north of State Street and east of Torrence is technically Burnham too.

I grew up in Hegewisch just to the north and I've never known a single person who lived or grew up in Burnham ... which is pretty strange come to think of it.

But I think Burnham's biggest, well, and possibly only, claim to fame is that Al Capone supposedly had a home in Burnham - on Burham Ave, right across from the golf course. (It looks very different from most of the homes and has sort of an underground garage on the south side.) Supposedly, there was an underground tunnel that ran from the golf course to this home.
Didn't that big house belong to Johnny Patton, the Mayor?
(Maybe I'm wrong.) It looked like a mansion to me, all those years ago!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Default Tallyho Tavern

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3_Dog View Post
Anyone remember the TALLYHO Tavern.
Was it near the park?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,643 times
Al Capone did not live in Burnham. When he came to the village he stayed with the Patton family on burn ham ave. which was just across from the entrance to the golf course. Burch am in the 60's and 70s was a fantastic place, but as time would have it, it's ridden with bad people now. Very sad. Used to be the safest place in the world. Now it is a cesspool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs