Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:53 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,361,223 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to naperville because I can get such a better deal on a condo than the city and heard that there are a lot of young single professionals in naperville like me? Is this true. Can I move to naperville and find areas to buy in where it is similar to the city with young outgoing and friendly people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,646,457 times
Naperville is nice and has lots of young people, but I doubt a condo is going to be much less expensive in downtown Naperville than the city.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:49 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,577,108 times
Naperville is great if you plan on becoming a boring white person when you reach your
30's. Or if your idea of diversity is athletes that were recruited from the city to play on the highly touted high school sports teams. Also, if you like driving by little signs that brag about every accomplishment from state football titles to local safety rodeo championships, Naperville is wonderful. The young professionals in Naperville are much different than the young professionals in Chicago. They are generally suburban types to the extreme. Blech.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:02 AM

233 posts, read 701,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Naperville is great if you plan on becoming a boring white person when you reach your
30's. Or if your idea of diversity is athletes that were recruited from the city to play on the highly touted high school sports teams. Also, if you like driving by little signs that brag about every accomplishment from state football titles to local safety rodeo championships, Naperville is wonderful. The young professionals in Naperville are much different than the young professionals in Chicago. They are generally suburban types to the extreme. Blech.
How does one get a reputation of 120, whatever that means? This post gets a reputation of minus 120 in my book. The Chicago area is much more "diverse" and integrated than it was when I grew up there in the 50s and 60s. That absolutely includes Naperville, which was a sleepy semi country town when I was in high school. I'm not a suburb kind of person, but as suburbs go it's one of the best in the US. The original poster should check it out and make an informed decision. There are plenty of young ambitious professionals in Naperville and surrounding areas. The Metra line will take you into the city. Condo prices in Chicago are crazy, despite the real estate bust.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
How does one get a reputation of 120, whatever that means? This post gets a reputation of minus 120 in my book. The Chicago area is much more "diverse" and integrated than it was when I grew up there in the 50s and 60s. That absolutely includes Naperville, which was a sleepy semi country town when I was in high school. I'm not a suburb kind of person, but as suburbs go it's one of the best in the US. The original poster should check it out and make an informed decision. There are plenty of young ambitious professionals in Naperville and surrounding areas. The Metra line will take you into the city. Condo prices in Chicago are crazy, despite the real estate bust.
I graduated from Naperville North and have a brother that still lives in Naperville. If by "intergrated" you mean all the whites live with Asians and all the other minorities live in apartments either by that 7/11 on Bailey or that large cluster of apartments by Brunswick Zone, I guess you are right. P.S. One gets a reputation like mine by telling it the way one sees it while simultaenously accepting the fact that people will never see anything the same way.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:24 PM

84 posts, read 428,836 times
The OP wasn't asking about the state of ethnic integration in Naperville. Start your own thread if you want to get on your anti-suburban soapbox.

Whether or not you'll like Naperville as an alternative to the city really depends on your priorities. First, where do you work? If you work in the city, the commute will chew up a big chunk of your time, even if you're able to use the Metra express lines. The rest I guess just depends on your lifestyle. Naperville has a lot more to offer than many suburbs, but its still a suburb. The downtown is lively even at night, but its no substitute for the huge variety of options you have in Chicago. You need to realize its an area that caters primarily to families, so crowds of young singles don't dominate the scene anywhere.

However, if your nights out are tamer and a larger, nicer condo plus easy access to lots of shopping and conveniences make you happier, you might really enjoy living in Naperville.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyTeeth View Post
The OP wasn't asking about the state of ethnic integration in Naperville. Start your own thread if you want to get on your anti-suburban soapbox.
I find my posts to be relevant. And by the way, where's your star?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 PM

381 posts, read 843,403 times
Naperville is the greatest suburb ever. Duh. Why the hate? Grass is so green and soccer moms are running around, not in minivans, but is BMWs and Lexus'. Add amazing schools and mini mansions that burn the eyes, you can't possibly lose. Plus, who needs Chicago when you have downtown Naperville and other surrounding suburbs to explore.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 AM

39 posts, read 192,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nJohn View Post
Naperville is the greatest suburb ever. Duh. Why the hate? Grass is so green and soccer moms are running around, not in minivans, but is BMWs and Lexus'. Add amazing schools and mini mansions that burn the eyes, you can't possibly lose. Plus, who needs Chicago when you have downtown Naperville and other surrounding suburbs to explore.
I can't quite figure out if this poster is being sarcastic, I certainly hope so.
If I was a single 20 something there is no way I'd move from the city to Naperville. A lot of the people out there believe there is no reason to go into the big bad city. Sure there are plenty of eateries and a cute downtown with plenty of shopping, but it just doesn't have the energetic vibe of the city. This is coming from someone who lived in Lakeview, one of the lamer city neighborhoods according to most. If you're cool hanging out with people who went to North Central College and never ventured out of the suburbs, you may be okay with Naperville. It is a good place to raise a family, but if you want the opportunity to meet lots of single, diverse and educated people, stay in the city.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,425,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
30's.
WTF kind of racist bile is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs