Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:34 AM

39 posts, read 192,303 times

Advertisements

I don't think he's implying all white people are boring, just those who live in Naperville. That could be prejudiced, not racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteh View Post
I don't think he's implying all white people are boring, just those who live in Naperville. That could be prejudiced, not racist.
Sounds to me like he's saying that Naperville is a great place to live if youre a boring white person. And besides, what does race have to do with anything? Its ridiculous.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:49 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Naperville, according to city-data, is about 83% white. Obviously that's a majority, but there are suburbs of Chicago that are far less diverse than that.

I would agree that it comes across as kind of a loaded statement, not necessarily that all white people are boring, but more that a non-white wouldn't be welcome there, which I don't think is at all the case.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:08 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
Maybe I'm going by the experience of being a former resident, a graduate of Naperville North high school and having boring white relatives that still live there. Naperville is 83% white. Those that are not white are white, for the most part. Almost all minorities live in the same few apartment complexes. There was a case about 10 years ago where the son of a prominent African-American attorney was repeatedly pulled over. It got to the point where this attorney went to the news. Also, I got sick of the weird looks from the older white people of Naperville as my wife (Mexican-American) and I (Anglo) would get from time to time walking around with my family in Naperville. We never got looks like that in Oak Park or Chicago. And a town that has 150,000 that is 83% white? That is what you would call a VAST majority.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Maybe I'm going by the experience of being a former resident, a graduate of Naperville North high school and having boring white relatives that still live there. Naperville is 83% white. Those that are not white are white, for the most part. Almost all minorities live in the same few apartment complexes. There was a case about 10 years ago where the son of a prominent African-American attorney was repeatedly pulled over. It got to the point where this attorney went to the news. Also, I got sick of the weird looks from the older white people of Naperville as my wife (Mexican-American) and I (Anglo) would get from time to time walking around with my family in Naperville. We never got looks like that in Oak Park or Chicago. And a town that has 150,000 that is 83% white? That is what you would call a VAST majority.
Could you possibly get any more offensive? For f's sake!!!!

Let me walk around Maywood or Little Village, see what happens to me (Anglo). Id rather get looked at bad than get beatdown because of my race (which has happened in the past). Ooooh, how about those two Mexican thugs who went into Naperville a few years back and almost killed those two innocent older folks near the riverwalk just because they were white? Remember that little episode? My point is, racism occurs on all levels, sadly. Noone is immune to it, so quit playing the race card. Its not like people got together when planning the city of Naperville and said "in the future we want this town to be 85% caucasian" or the planners of Maywood to say "we want this town to be mainly Hispanic in the year 2008". Things happen to end up that way, who cares?? It doesnt mean the town is racist, you need to realize that.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:20 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
I never said the town was racist. All along, I've been saying that it sucks.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:49 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Quote:
There was a case about 10 years ago where the son of a prominent African-American attorney was repeatedly pulled over. It got to the point where this attorney went to the news. Also, I got sick of the weird looks from the older white people of Naperville as my wife (Mexican-American) and I (Anglo) would get from time to time walking around with my family in Naperville. We never got looks like that in Oak Park or Chicago.
Sounds like you're saying Naperville is racist in this quote. I'm not even saying it's not, but at least stand firm on what you're saying.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 PM

381 posts, read 842,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteh View Post
I can't quite figure out if this poster is being sarcastic, I certainly hope so.
If I was a single 20 something there is no way I'd move from the city to Naperville. A lot of the people out there believe there is no reason to go into the big bad city. Sure there are plenty of eateries and a cute downtown with plenty of shopping, but it just doesn't have the energetic vibe of the city. This is coming from someone who lived in Lakeview, one of the lamer city neighborhoods according to most. If you're cool hanging out with people who went to North Central College and never ventured out of the suburbs, you may be okay with Naperville. It is a good place to raise a family, but if you want the opportunity to meet lots of single, diverse and educated people, stay in the city.
I was being sarcastic.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I never said the town was racist. All along, I've been saying that it sucks.
....and that its all white.... and that its boring white people.... and that some black kid was constantly harassed... and that you got bad looks from white people... and that even the non-whites are "white". Its pretty racist in my book.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:25 PM

128 posts, read 172,667 times
I would consider myself to be a young pro, and although you may have found a cheaper condo in Napeville, you will never find anything like Chicago's downtown in the rest of Chicagoland. I would look elsewhere. Naperville is a rather boring big city. I mean for its size, it is a yawn. People in Naperville think going out and getting drunk Friday and Saturday night is what is considered a "party!"

I would look into St. Charles or Geneva. Much smaller and IMO nicer downtowns. Loads more happens in Shaumburg too, not to mention they have a much more applealing retail scene than Naperville, and more jobs.

Last edited by desert student; 01-25-2008 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs