Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
The Kedzie Metra stop is 1.3 miles from Norwegian. It's on the UP-W line, same as Wheaton, Glen Ellyn and Elmhurst.
Have you ever been on a train that has stopped there? Most don't seem to. Not even on the weekends.

Looking at the timetable, it does seem they have trains from Glen Ellyn every week day at 6:38 am and 8:42 am. So it's basically ignored during rush hour. Not exactly a great commuting station from the burbs unless you are really really lucky with your schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 AM

10 posts, read 22,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderngnome View Post
OP:
I wouldn't buy that house in Elmhurst. It's in the Conrad Fisher/Churchville Middle school track. Conrad Fisher has such a high poverty rate, it is a Title 1 school, and all the kids get free breakfast and lunch. It's also a very heavily ESL school.
Second this...I would not even go north of North Ave. The house is beautiful but there is a reason why the price is so low.

We do the rush hour drive to the loop every day from Elmhurst and it's an hour going in. So the drive to Humboldt from Elmhurst will be less, about 45min. From Wheaton, probably about an hour. Surprisingly, the drive home is usually shorter, about 45 min for us. I don't think going north or northwest is a good idea, the drive would probably be even worse on the Kennedy and/or the Edens.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchimama View Post
Second this...I would not even go north of North Ave. The house is beautiful but there is a reason why the price is so low.

We do the rush hour drive to the loop every day from Elmhurst and it's an hour going in. So the drive to Humboldt from Elmhurst will be less, about 45min. From Wheaton, probably about an hour. Surprisingly, the drive home is usually shorter, about 45 min for us. I don't think going north or northwest is a good idea, the drive would probably be even worse on the Kennedy and/or the Edens.
I used to drive in from Glen Ellyn in under an hour on a regular basis, leaving around 7:20 a.m. (probably bout 50 minutes average). It actually takes longer to get south from Elmhurst through the Hillside Strangler than it does to get across all of that distance on I-88, unless there is an accident on I-88. We still have to get through the strangler coming from the west, but the backups usually start as soon as the Target on Manheim/La Grange Road comes in to view.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:39 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I used to drive in from Glen Ellyn in under an hour on a regular basis, leaving around 7:20 a.m. (probably bout 50 minutes average). It actually takes longer to get south from Elmhurst through the Hillside Strangler than it does to get across all of that distance on I-88, unless there is an accident on I-88. We still have to get through the strangler coming from the west, but the backups usually start as soon as the Target on Manheim/La Grange Road comes in to view.
I'll second this time (50-55 minutes) from Wheaton to the Loop during morning rush. I used to leave between 6:45-7:30. Wheaton to Humboldt would be slightly shorter.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:44 AM

From Elmhurst I'd be tempted to take North Avenue to Humboldt Park... When I lived in the city I had a long-term project in West Chicago, and tried that route a few times from West Chicago all the way east. One day I saw a guy waving a gun around on a street corner in Humboldt Park, and that was enough to make me duke it out on the Expressways from that point on.

To this day, it is the only time I've seen a gun drawn in Chicago--and I lived in the city for many years.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:19 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
At that hospital, I bet it takes more than an hour from Elmhurst at rush hour to drive...that's a guess, I never drove it. I bet it is normally 30 minutes, but that would be a sucky commute, in m opinion (i dislike driving commutes generally, though).

That definitely makes things difficult. Will he work normal 8-5 hours? It would be good to get east of the 294, but now you are getting in to burbs I don't know much about (other than Oak Park). I would nix wheaton, naperville, etc from consideration based on the work location.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
That definitely makes things difficult. Will he work normal 8-5 hours? It would be good to get east of the 294, but now you are getting in to burbs I don't know much about (other than Oak Park). I would nix wheaton, naperville, etc from consideration based on the work location.
The problem is that they really can't "nix" further out suburbs and get what they want within their budget. Oak Park is far too costly and doesn't offer the housing type they want.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
At that hospital, I bet it takes more than an hour from Elmhurst at rush hour to drive...that's a guess, I never drove it. I bet it is normally 30 minutes, but that would be a sucky commute, in m opinion (i dislike driving commutes generally, though).

Ok, then best leave it to people who have drove it.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:19 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
No way would I take public transportation to that hospital. I would drive. I would look into some closer in suburbs and drive there maybe using North Avenue as a road. Oak Park would be ideal, but it has bad taxes and finding a five bedroom home would be a challenge. Finding a five bedroom home anywhere is a challenge....usually one of the bedrooms may be in a basement which I would nix. I'd explore doubling up a couple of the kids. Elmhurst would be reasonable to commute into the city too. Maybe even Park Ridge. I go out from Wheaton to Berwyn in rush hour and I prefer taking regular streets than taking the expressways I think there are less traffic jams and its easier to get off a jammed route by cutting down other roads to detour the jams. My usual modes of travel are 22nd street, Roosevelt, ogden and north avenue. Any of these can be taken and then one can cut up to north avenue. I also used to drive the Eisenhower to harlem get off and go to Fullerton to Logan Sq. Lots of ways to skin a cat...but still it will be a long commute.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:04 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,248,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Ok, then best leave it to people who have drove it.
Well, since I haven't lived in Elmhurst since I was a baby, I haven't made THAT drive. I have from other parts of the western burbs (like Naperville, which I specified), and it sucks. I can gauge the parts of the drive I have made, which are terrible...but again, I am not a fan of car commutes in heavy traffic, so take my opinion for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs