Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 02:02 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times

Advertisements

Wheaton and Naperville would be the best options. We don't really have neighborhood pools here in Illinois, most pools are run by the park districts and have community pools. One of the best is Wheaton's Rice Pool. It also has another lovely pool at Northside Park. Naperville has Centenial Beach which is a water filled quarry.

I'd skip Long Grove entirely, its a ghost town and has a creepy feel to it...lots of vacant stores a few months ago. And Buffalo Grove isn't as nice as Wheaton and Naperville. There are beautiful homes in these communities and they have wonderful parks, schools, and libraries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 22,766 times
How about this house? It's a block from the pool at York Commons and close to Visitation Catholic school.
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Elmhurst/2.../home/18099332

Old 05-04-2015, 02:59 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
That's a little old house for that kind of money. Yes its nice inside but I would not buy it. It seems way overpriced to me and does not look like a 500 K house from the outside. (sorry)

Here is a few good ones in Wheaton. Great area, nice houses. All near Rice Pool, Whole Foods, Marianos, etc.
St. Daniel the Prophet church.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wheaton/16.../home/18125374

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wheaton/69.../home/18124966

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wheaton/19.../home/18116796

Old 05-04-2015, 03:11 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Since Holl1ngswoth hasn't chimed in yet to recommend Wheaton, I will have to bit the bullet. I really like Wheaton for your situation. You get more for your money out west than north or northwest and the train commutes are generally a lot shorter. Wheaton has an express train with ample station parking, and there are very few amenities that the town doesn't offer.

Other good options out west might include Naperville and Downers Grove, which may have some newer houses in your price range--though Naperville with have a lot more selection. But Naperville is also huge, so a house on the fringe of town may actually be pretty far from a lot of things. Glen Ellyn would also work well, though newer construction on the more desirable north side of town seems to be starting around $800k these days.

A place like Elmhurst would be a good fit, though I don't think you'll find much newer construction within your budget. The same could be said about closer-in BNSF suburbs like Clarendon Hills, Hinsdale (MOST expensive), La Grange, or Western Springs.

Almost every suburb in Chicagoland has a vibrant Catholic community. Even North Shore communities that have repuations for being heavily Jewish. This is just a very Catholic metro area.
It really depends on which towns your comparing in the west suburbs and the northwest suburbs. In some cases, you can get more for your money and in some cases you really don't. For example, you can get more for your money in Wheaton/Glen Ellyn vs. Arlington Heights/Mt Prospect which imo have are both similar in desirability. However, between Libertyville and Elmhurst, two towns that are both similar in desirability, Libertyville is a bit more affordable. Also, the more affordible options of the north/northwest suburbs are more affordable than the more affordable options in the west suburbs. This is probably because the northwest/north suburbs are spread over a larger area than the west suburbs.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
That's a little old house for that kind of money. Yes its nice inside but I would not buy it. It seems way overpriced to me and does not look like a 500 K house from the outside. (sorry)

Here is a few good ones in Wheaton. Great area, nice houses. All near Rice Pool, Whole Foods, Marianos, etc.
St. Daniel the Prophet church.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wheaton/16.../home/18125374

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wheaton/69.../home/18124966

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wheaton/19.../home/18116796
These are nice homes, but the OP needs at least 5 bedrooms since they have 5 kids.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:29 PM

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Winfield/0.../home/18140153

This in Winfield in the Wheaton school district and it's less than 10 minutes from the nearest metra (Wheaton), since it's close to the Wheaton border.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:31 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
For example, you can get more for your money in Wheaton/Glen Ellyn vs. Arlington Heights/Mt Prospect which imo have are both similar in desirability.
These areas aren't that similar. Wheaton and Glen Ellyn have much larger "old" parts of town. Chet once said that Glen Ellyn had "higher highs and lower lows" than Wheaton, and this is probably true. There is a very expensive old charming, hilly core, but it really falls off on the fringes of Lombard and Glendale Heights.

Mt. Prospect and Arlington Heights are overwhelmingly post-war housing. Arlingnton Heights does have a small core of older houses near its downtown, but it transitions to post-war suburbia pretty quickly, and it's HUGE. Mt. Prospect is mainly very small houses, and is by far the most affordable (even though the schools can be great). The median single-family home prices in Glen Ellyn and Mt. Prospect are about $150,000 apart, with Wheaton and Arlington Heights being pretty close.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 05-04-2015 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm starting to think you've never visited some of the towns you comment on.
Nah, that would be silly. Arlington Heights/Mt Prospect are definitley very different areas, but they're both desirable to a lot of people. I was referring to the price per sq ft in terms of affordability.

Median sales price per sq ft:

Wheaton $168/sq ft
Arlington Heights $201/sq ft
Glen Ellyn $165/sq ft
Mt Prospect $175/sq ft

Old 05-04-2015, 03:52 PM

40 posts, read 58,174 times
Thanks everyone! Looking a little closer at Wheaton. Is the Rice pool a membership type pool or a pay-as-you-go type of pool? Also going to look at Arlington Heights. But before I do that, I need to think about the train schedules like everyone mentioned.

On second glance, I guess hubby won't be working "downtown." Not sure if he is considered in the "loop" or what, but he would be working at Norweigan American Hospital near Humboldt Park. Any thoughts on trains to and from? Or would driving be easier?

Old 05-04-2015, 03:55 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Nah, that would be silly. Arlington Heights/Mt Prospect are definitley very different areas, but they're both desirable to a lot of people. I was referring to the price per sq ft in terms of affordability.

Median sales price per sq ft:

Wheaton $168/sq ft
Arlington Heights $201/sq ft
Glen Ellyn $165/sq ft
Mt Prospect $175/sq ft
My data for Jan 15 to Apr 15 of 2015 says

Wheaton: $169/sq ft
Arlington Heights: $206/sq ft
Glen Ellyn: $198/sq ft
Mt Prospect: $181/sq ft

The Wheaton and Glen Ellyn stats include unincorporated areas. The area around Arlington Heights and Mt. Prospect is more developed, so there are no such areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs