Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 07:42 AM

10 posts, read 44,315 times

Advertisements

nah, i'd be with mobile devices, which is in libertyville. but living in schaumburg woudln't be a bad commute, right? and it wouldn't be too bad living in schaumburg for a single 23 year old guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 08:28 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,628 times
Based on your criteria, Schaumburg beats the other places here. There are several major corporations there, so there are more young single professionals there than in other N/NW burbs.

The local youngsters consider this place trendy. If they decide to stay in the area and live in the suburbs after graduation, they often strive to end up particularly in Schaumburg after graduation.

There is a Woodfield mall, which is a magnet for the crowd between 18-25. Also there's Harper college that draws it's share of youth who want to earn credit while working.

The town itself(along 53 and near Woodfiled) resembles a city at least a little bit.

Besides Evanston, it's likely you second best choice. If you could give an idea about your specific interests and passtimes, then maybe people can come up with more details.

But if you still decide on Evanston, look for a place east of Ridge ave, and probably north of Davis ave. And if you go east of Maple, it would be even better.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:30 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,628 times
Based on your criteria, Schaumburg beats the other places here. There are several major corporations there, so there are more young single professionals there than in other N/NW burbs.

The local youngsters consider this place trendy. If they decide to stay in the area and live in the suburbs after graduation, they often strive to end up particularly in Schaumburg after graduation.

There is a Woodfield mall, which is a magnet for the crowd between 18-25. Also there's Harper college that draws it's share of youth who want to earn credit while working.

The town itself(along 53 and near Woodfiled) resembles a city at least a little bit.

Besides Evanston, it's likely you second best choice. If you could give an idea about your specific interests and passtimes, then maybe people can come up with more details.

But if you still decide on Evanston, look for a place east of Ridge ave, and probably north of Davis ave. And if you go east of Maple, it would be even better.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:48 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
Default My 2 cents

Well I figured I'd pitch in my two cents here since I'm very very familiar with the area (grew up in the Chicagoland area and still live here for now). Anyway, right now I'm living with the folks in unincorporated Libertyville just to save some money, and commuting to school in the city. I hope to be done with this temporary arrangement within a few months. In any case, it KILLS your social life if you're a young person in your early 20's. So I must forewarn you on that part. Now, someone else here mentioned Schaumburg. In terms of actual mileage to Libertyville, Schaumburg doesn't seem that bad on paper. It's about a 23.8 mile drive from Schaumburg to the Motorola facility in Libertyville. However, I'm not familiar with the traffic patterns along the way. If I'm not mistaken, you're going to run into some serious traffic jams. And keep in mind that in Lake County there is no direct expressway that links the countyline (Lake-Cook) with the areas further north, so you will be stuck on jammed up local roads in a very busy, well-traveled section of the county. ANYWAY....I sincerely think that given your criteria, your best bet might indeed be Evanston. Why, you ask? Well, you will be much closer to Chicago for one thing. I'm not a big fan of Schaumburg in the sense that it is very much a cookie cutter stereotypical suburb filled with strip malls, and bad sprawled out traffic. It does have a couple of nightclub types of spots, but nothing like Chicago, and plus picture this. If you're out drinking at the clubs in Schaumburg you're pretty much screwed afterwards because you almost always NEED a car to get from point A to point B in the Schaumburg area. However if you're trying to get from point A to point B within Chicago or even from Chicago to Evanston you have OPTIONS such as trains, buses, and cabs if worst comes to worst. You NEVER have to drive drunk if you're in or very close to the north side of Chicago. As far as Evanston nightlife goes, it's pretty non-existent, but you DO have a state of the art theater right in the center of town that plays indie movies & mainstream movies on amazing screens with elevated seating, great sound, etc. You DO have pretty easy access to the north side of downtown as well as trendy north side neighborhoods such as Lincoln Park, Lakeview, etc. (just use the train or drive down Lake Shore Drive and you're good to go). And as far as the commute to Libertyville (far northwest Libertyville might I add), I'm not going to lie. It's gonna suck. But I think it can be done. If you're going to drive your options are either I-94 west to I-41 north or I-94 west to the I-94 toll road or taking the local roads. Although it's called 94 west, it mainly goes north when you're in Chicagoland. When 94 is real clogged up (listen to 780 AM or go to www.gcmtravel.com) I'd recommend just taking Sheridan Road straight north alongside the mansions of the North Shore until you link with up Green Bay Road (off of Westleigh Road) in Lake Forest, and then finally you can make your way to Buckley Road near the Great Lakes Naval Base heading west towards Motorola. Use a navi device like the Garmin Nuvi if possible to make sure you don't get lost, lol (I use this thing and it kicks ass). I know this was quite long, but I hope it helped you out a bit with your decision.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:31 AM

18 posts, read 85,955 times
Default Many, many options

There are many affordable condos/apartments in Waukegan, Gurnee, Vernon Hills and Deerfield. These suburbs have much to do, some have some great nightlife too. However, if you are willing to travel a bit, the Northwest Side of Chicago or neighboring suburbs such as Skokie and Niles aren't bad places to live either, all are very safe. Heck, I'd even go as far as saying you should check out Kenosha Wisconsin. Chicago are and Wisconsin are both 35-60 min commutes, depening on speed though. Unfortunately, as you will find out, North is generally more expensive. Not completely out of reach, but its pricey. Either way though, it all depends on where you fo, but those are my suggestions. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 68,566 times
Live in Vernon HIlls or Bufalo Grove or even just libertyville. neither spot is bad, in fact theyre all really nice, but there are affordable small homes for outta college students

Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,397 times
my dad works at the libertyville motorola... honestly, all the NW burbs of chicago are really nice and they all have pretty much the same ammount of things to do. I lived in the loop (chicago) for 2 years and it was fun, but I wouldnt want to live there post college. Downtown Arlington Heights is nice, downtown Palatine is nice. Schaumburg is cool. I live in crystal lake, which is further north but it's really nice and there's still farm land if you really want to get away. I also attend the 20 somethings group at Willow Creek Community Church and that is a great place to meet some really wonderful people (not crazy church people, just fun people). Good luck at Motorola. My dad has been there for almost 20 years, seems like a great place! -Brit

Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,503 times
old thread!

Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,086 times
Wonder how the move went
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs