Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 AM

472 posts, read 1,099,363 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've posted in the Chicago thread previously looking for help on where to begin my search. While I'm extremely familiar with downtown Chicago I'm clueless when it comes to the suburbs. My boyfriend and I will be relocating, and we have decided to open up to the idea of possibly moving into the suburbs since the apartment/condo/townhome search has been super tough with a Great Dane and a Lab. While the idea of moving into the burbs is a huge sacrifice for me to be in Chicago as it has always been a dream of mine as a kid to live downtown, I'm willing to do it just to be in Chicago. Until we find the perfect neighborhood to buy whether it be downtown or in the burbs I think we might have more luck in the suburbs for the time being. Plus I wouldn't mind a back yard and a little more space like I'm used to here in Dallas.

So, with that said I will be commuting downtown for work so proximity to CTA is a necessity.

My boyfriend is 29, I'm 24. We would like something with some activity but not a total college scene.

We would like to stay around 2500. We dont need a huge space.

Our biggest thing is we enjoy suburbia but we enjoy downtown to.

Thanks for any suggestions on neighborhoods to check out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,477,336 times
I don't know that the suburbs are going to be all that much easier to find a rental when you have two large active dogs. I would suggest that you stick to a town with good commuter train service. The fastest service is generally on the BNSF. A town like Berwyn might be a good starting place to look for something that is a little more affordable than the hippest spots inside Chicago while still offering good access to the city...

Depending on how much of commute hassle you are willing to deal with I might also suggest closer-in suburbs like Oak Lawn to the south of the city and Skokie to the northwest. Those also have some options for both CTA service as well as Metra.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Cool, thanks Chet.

I'd prefer under an hour commute. I'm used to a commute so it doesn't bother me. We both have cars but if we have CTA at our disposal I'd much rather use that. I'd never get on public transit here in Dallas. Talk about a death wish.

I'm not into the super hip / trendy spots. I like pretty laid back, ecclectic places.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:42 AM

If you are OK with riding the Metra for about an hour you could look all the way to Geneva. Very laid back, almost rural feel along the Fox River. The biggest factor will be places that are OK with two large dogs...

Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 PM

376 posts, read 490,129 times
under an hour commute on the BNSF can get you all the way out to Naperville, given all the express trains. (On a side note, there are a good number of transplanted Texans in the west suburbs, myself included). For a house with a yard under 2500 a month, Downer's Grove and Lisle should be doable; perhaps Naperville as well. Closer in, you might look at Western Springs / Brookfield.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 PM

Western Springs is very pricey, only a small pool of rentals...

Old 06-27-2012, 01:34 PM

I know my size dogs aren't the norm but are these size dogs considered horses up there? Its not problem here to find a place with two large and extra large dogs. Lol. I just don't fancy little lap dogs.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:06 PM

374 posts, read 1,037,630 times
There are definitely home rentals in the Oak Park area around $2500 that allow big dogs. I have friends with huge dogs that are leaving such a rental in a couple of weeks. They are walkable to the farmers' market, pool and the green line el station.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:07 PM

The problem is not so much a function of landlords in Chicago being "anti-big dog" as the bias of smaller landlords (which most folks that own and rent out single family homes are...) have in ensuring that there place does not get trashed. Tenants that don't like walking / cleaning up after their pets in Chicago's often incliment weather end up costing landlords big money for replaced carpets and even replaced landscaping with little dogs and big dogs are worse.

The advantage that folks w/o kids have is they can sorta take advantage of landlords that have homes for rents in areas w/o the the most highly regarded schools.

The city of Chicago has many such areas, though some are crime ridden. Other areas to consider include some of the more affordable towns, though some are not well served by transit. It is a series of trade-offs. If you explore areas with less desirable schools and less transit options you probably will run into more flexible landlords...

In addition to towns mentioned you might include Forest Park, Elmwood Park, Melrose Park, Franklin Park, Evergreen Park, Merrionette Park, Hodkins, Berkely, Northlake...

Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,997,553 times
I totally understand about the big dogs, little dogs are yappy nuisances. Unfortunately most landlords are fearful that big dogs will cause more damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs