Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:33 PM

8 posts, read 39,099 times

Advertisements

What's the deal?
My wife is from Chicago, and we currently live in Tampa,Fl. We are seriously looking to move to Chicagoland. The city is too expensive, so we took our search to the burbs. We only wanted to be 30 miles or less from the city. The nothern burbs are out of our price range. We have looked into the southern burbs and I am totally disapointed in some of the posts I see about the burbs in southern Chicagoland. Are they that bad? Is it all about black n' white?
Matteson has caught our eye. There are some new homes in our price range. We are looking at homes in the range of $260-$275. Schools & safety are very important too. Can anyone enlightened me on why we shouldn't move there?
THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Such an important decision,please come and visit. Only you know what is "HOME" to you. Nice suburbs/nice schools and towns all over but only YOU know what you can afford and what is going to fill your needs.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown fam View Post
What's the deal?
My wife is from Chicago, and we currently live in Tampa,Fl. We are seriously looking to move to Chicagoland. The city is too expensive, so we took our search to the burbs. We only wanted to be 30 miles or less from the city. The nothern burbs are out of our price range. We have looked into the southern burbs and I am totally disapointed in some of the posts I see about the burbs in southern Chicagoland. Are they that bad? Is it all about black n' white?
Matteson has caught our eye. There are some new homes in our price range. We are looking at homes in the range of $260-$275. Schools & safety are very important too. Can anyone enlightened me on why we shouldn't move there?
THANKS
If schools are important, I would stay away from Matteson. The schools there do not rate well. I believe it falls in the Rich Township High School district 227 and the schools rate a 2 out of 10 on GreatSchools.net (Which is a good website to look up school stats, by the way.) If you are looking for an area in the Southern burbs that has diversity, is safe, and has good schools, check out Homewood Flossmoor. That high school rates a 10 out of 10. Other South burbs with good schools are Tinley Park, Orland Park, Frankfort, Mokena, Lockport, New Lenox. (Although these areas are not particularly diverse-not sure if that is important to you.)

Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 PM

[quote=sbd78;2893417Homewood Flossmoor. That high school rates a 10 out of 10. Other South burbs with good schools are Tinley Park, Orland Park, Frankfort, Mokena, Lockport, New Lenox. (Although these areas are not particularly diverse-not sure if that is important to you.)[/QUOTE]

"Rates a 10 out of 10" in WHAT? From what source? For every suburb that people like we have this statement, so we have about 10-20 burbs that are "10 out of10".

Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
"Rates a 10 out of 10" in WHAT? From what source? For every suburb that people like we have this statement, so we have about 10-20 burbs that are "10 out of10".
Not sure all of what goes in to the 10 out of 10 rating, but the school's test scores are posted on the greatschools website, as well as student to teacher ratios, percentage of low income students, etc. (I would assume these things are factored into the rating.) While I don't know exactly how they formulate the 10 out of 10 rating, I think its safe to say that a school that scores a 10 is probably a lot better than a school that rates a 2. Believe me, I don't have any hidden agenda about Homewood Flossmoor, I don't even live there.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 PM

It has been a general statement about schools. I just think its helpful to newcomers to state WHERE those stats are FROM.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,086 times
Here is a link to another school stats site. Personally I do not like greatschools.net. I find the parent comments too subjective and full of rants/raves. (But whatever - I just had to get that off my chest) This website will let you search by district, city, or school name. It only gives test scores and some demographic info, so its limited as well.

Interactive Illinois Report Card

Keeping this post colorblind - I think the south burb's that cost less attract a proportionately lower-range buyers, who tend to be proportionately lower-income and less-educated. (But there is still a range!) There are affordable south suburbs in which you might feel right at home. There are others that might feel too urban or too remote. What kind of house are you hoping to find - new or old? Are you looking for lots of families like you? Do you want to take the train into the city? How dense of a neighborhood do you want to live in?

Everyone wants safe neighborhoods and good schools. Some relative bargains for your housing dollars might be Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, and Homewood. Homes in your price range are likely to be older homes, which is most of the housing stock in the south burb's, with the exception of the Tinley Park - Orland - Mokena area, which is one of the reasons the area is more attractive and costly.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
It has been a general statement about schools. I just think its helpful to newcomers to state WHERE those stats are FROM.

sbd did say where it was from. Even gave a link!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:21 AM

58 posts, read 228,746 times
I have lived in the south burbs all my life, so the information I'm giving you is strictly my experienced opinion. I also agree with sbd78 regarding Homewood and Floosmoor as nice communities with good schools. They're not the best in the region, but they're a whole lot better than the schools in Matteson. Tinley Park, Orland Park, Mokena, Frankfort are all good communities with good schools as well, but that's more southwest suburbs instead of just south burbs.

I would stay away from South Holland, Calumet City, Lansing, Harvey, Chicago Heights, Lynwood and Glenwood for several reasons (schools, crime, economic stability, etc.).

Have you thought about NW Indiana (Munster, Dyer)? You'll get more for your money and the schools are better. Just a thought.

OPSMAN

Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 PM

863 posts, read 2,785,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSMAN View Post
I have lived in the south burbs all my life, so the information I'm giving you is strictly my experienced opinion. I also agree with sbd78 regarding Homewood and Floosmoor as nice communities with good schools. They're not the best in the region, but they're a whole lot better than the schools in Matteson. Tinley Park, Orland Park, Mokena, Frankfort are all good communities with good schools as well, but that's more southwest suburbs instead of just south burbs.

I would stay away from South Holland, Calumet City, Lansing, Harvey, Chicago Heights, Lynwood and Glenwood for several reasons (schools, crime, economic stability, etc.).

Have you thought about NW Indiana (Munster, Dyer)? You'll get more for your money and the schools are better. Just a thought.

OPSMAN
Both South Holland and Lansing have higher populations than Homewood, yet Homewood's crime rate is higher (above the national average, in fact). Why is it seen as a better community when, statistically, the other two towns are safer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs