Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 08:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

Thanks, everyone for the very informative answers to my inquiries. I've been desperately wanting to tour the Upper Midwest for a month-long vacation at some point in my 20s, and ChicagoLand will definitely be occupying a week or so of that timeframe. I'm immensely enjoying learning as much as I can about Illinois; you folks live in a very beautiful state (and an added bonus is that it is the home of our next president may I add). LOL!

I have mixed feelings on the teardown issue. If tearing down an older home in Winnetka or Evanston in order to build a new home on the lot will prevent a half-acre of trees being downed out in the newer suburbs, then I'm all for it. However, as a young urban professional I'd be perfectly happy living in any one of those homes that had been labeled as possible teardown candidates, and I'm sure there are many others who share my tastes. My dream neighborhood is like many that were photographed in Evanston---sidewalks, tree-lined streets, curbs, and most importantly grand OLD homes. To me OLD homes have character. You can walk into the foyer and picture it as if a newlywed couple had just been walking into the front door back in the home's first year of occupancy in 1898. You can envision the impeccable craftsmanship in some of those homes that quite simply can not be replicated in today's newer suburbs (I've actually seen vinyl siding falling off of 15-year-old McMansions here near Scranton, indicating the poor quality of many newly-built suburban homes in our nation). You can picture the weddings that were held in the backyards, the birthday parties that were held in the parlors, the funeral gatherings that were held here, etc. Too few people in our nation appreciate our history anymore. "Newer is better" is the common mindset (I just hope my partner doesn't get the same idea when I get all old and wrinkly! LOL!).

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 06-16-2008 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Thanks, everyone for the very informative answers to my inquiries. I've been desperately wanting to tour the Upper Midwest for a month-long vacation at some point in my 20s, and ChicagoLand will definitely be occupying a week or so of that timeframe. I'm immensely enjoying learning as much as I can about Illinois; you folks live in a very beautiful state (and an added bonus is that it is the home of our next president may I add). LOL!

I have mixed feelings on the teardown issue. If tearing down an older home in Winnetka or Evanston in order to build a new home on the lot will prevent a half-acre of trees being downed out in the newer suburbs, then I'm all for it. However, as a young urban professional I'd be perfectly happy living in any one of those homes that had been labeled as possible teardown candidates, and I'm sure there are many others who share my tastes. My dream neighborhood is like many that were photographed in Evanston---sidewalks, tree-lined streets, curbs, and most importantly grand OLD homes. To me OLD homes have character. You can walk into the foyer and picture it as if a newlywed couple had just been walking into the front door back in the home's first year of occupancy in 1898. You can envision the impeccable craftsmanship in some of those homes that quite simply can not be replicated in today's newer suburbs (I've actually seen vinyl siding falling off of 15-year-old McMansions here near Scranton, indicating the poor quality of many newly-built suburban homes in our nation). You can picture the weddings that were held in the backyards, the birthday parties that were held in the parlors, the funeral gatherings that were held here, etc. Too few people in our nation appreciate our history anymore. "Newer is better" is the common mindset (I just hope my partner doesn't get the same idea when I get all old and wrinkly! LOL!).
I agree with you, 100%. Old homes are simply fascinating. Sure, they can cost an arm and a leg to keep up with repairs/maintenance, but to me its worth it. I have taken MANY photos of older homes in the area, and havent even scratched the surface yet.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I agree with you, 100%. Old homes are simply fascinating. Sure, they can cost an arm and a leg to keep up with repairs/maintenance, but to me its worth it. I have taken MANY photos of older homes in the area, and havent even scratched the surface yet.
Yes. I really do appreciate the variety you've blessed us with in your photos as well. When I first opened this thread I thought "Gee. 21 pages of ostentatious McMansions beside fallen trees, fast-food places, and dead deer. Ick!" However, I was pleasantly surprised with each page that sucked me more and more into wanting to visit ChicagoLand! Judging by how everyone in your photographs is driving a vehicle worth more than my parents earn combined annually indicates to me that as a lowly CPA I'd never be able to afford to reside in any of the cities you featured, but the downtowns in Wheaton, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, and several other communities you photographed blew me away with their high levels of pedestrian traffic, cleanliness, and overall "coolness." One criticism I DO have though is that I wish the downtown districts would feature more independent mom-and-pop types of operations and less Starbucks, Barnes & Nobles, etc. I loved the photos of Evanston; some photos of the immediate downtown area of Evanston (perhaps even an artists' rendering of the proposed "evil tower") would be greatly appreciated. Is Addison a sketchy community? What about Waukegan?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Yes. I really do appreciate the variety you've blessed us with in your photos as well. When I first opened this thread I thought "Gee. 21 pages of ostentatious McMansions beside fallen trees, fast-food places, and dead deer. Ick!" However, I was pleasantly surprised with each page that sucked me more and more into wanting to visit ChicagoLand! Judging by how everyone in your photographs is driving a vehicle worth more than my parents earn combined annually indicates to me that as a lowly CPA I'd never be able to afford to reside in any of the cities you featured, but the downtowns in Wheaton, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, and several other communities you photographed blew me away with their high levels of pedestrian traffic, cleanliness, and overall "coolness." One criticism I DO have though is that I wish the downtown districts would feature more independent mom-and-pop types of operations and less Starbucks, Barnes & Nobles, etc. I loved the photos of Evanston; some photos of the immediate downtown area of Evanston (perhaps even an artists' rendering of the proposed "evil tower") would be greatly appreciated. Is Addison a sketchy community? What about Waukegan?
The towns I live around (not in) are quite affluent, hence the nice cars. Im also a car nut so I often find myself taking photos of sweet rides for my own personal pleasure. Well, if you find yourself in the area, check out towns like Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Geneva, St. Charles, Barrington(s), Oak Park, Lake Forest, Winnetka, Evanston, Elmhurst, Western Springs, Wasco, etc, etc. Sounds like you might enjoy them.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM

8 more St. Charles shots from yesterday:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/illinoisnative/IMG_1758.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-18-2008, 08:36 PM

Some from today after work:

At Headwaters Conservation Area near Campton Hills/Elburn area. Thats Elburn way off in the distance (LH corner of the pic):

Heading west on Rt. 38 into Geneva. Note Swedish flags hanging for the Swedish Days Midsommar Festival (highly recommended!!!!!):

Headwaters sign, and parts of the trail:

Part of Prairie Landing golf course in Geneva:

Sergio's Cantina in Geneva:

A few Geneva homes:

Ever-expanding Elburn:

Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 AM

St. Charles greenhouse:

Far west St. Charles Post Office:

Ive been seeing more and more Yucca plants used in landscaping around here. Love it!
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/illinoisnative/STCyuccas.jpg (broken link)

More western St. Charles development:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/illinoisnative/WestStCharlesdevelopment.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-20-2008, 09:12 AM

St. Charles industrial park:

Newer Houlihans in Geneva:

Geneva 'hood:

Windmill in Batavia:

New St. Charles business park:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/illinoisnative/LegacyStCharles.jpg (broken link)

Pete's old hot dog stand in Lily Lake:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee208/illinoisnative/PetesinLilyLake.jpg (broken link)

New retirement center in Geneva/Batavia border:

The good life?

New Geneva townhomes:

Old 06-21-2008, 08:41 AM

124 posts, read 369,107 times
as always, great photos steve-o!

still waiting on those lincolnshire pics though...

Old 06-22-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post
as always, great photos steve-o!

still waiting on those lincolnshire pics though...
Thanks! Im nowhere near Lincolnshire though, maybe someone out that way can lend a hand? Anyone? Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs