Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 AM

56 posts, read 266,019 times

Advertisements

I'm a stay at home mom and live in the far west suburbs. I want to take kids to city on the train, but not sure how safe it is. I'd be sure to avoid rush times.
Id like to feel comfortable going without my husband.

I'd be coming from Big Timer station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Metra very safe. CTA a tad less so but still within reason(i.e. there is a 99.2% chance nothing much will happen on a CTA bus). So long as you travel in the day and keep aware of your suroundings you should be fine. The bigger danger will be waiting/walking to the CTA bus or train rather than on it.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:48 AM

56 posts, read 266,019 times
I would do the bus. I have a vehicle to drive. But hate waiting in traffic to get in and out, then trying to find parking, when we are going to have to walk a few blocks any ways from the parking lot/garage.

Is the CTA just the buses? I thought CTA included the loop (the L)? Correct my misuse of transit. :-)

Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceing0ntheCake View Post
Is the CTA just the buses? I thought CTA included the loop (the L)? Correct my misuse of transit. :-)

It is both. The best way downtown is via trainsit and your kids will love the trip. If you feel really unsafe you can hop a cab, but honestly thousands of people take the CTA everyday and only a few problems happen. It is sort of like the fear people have of flying but not of driving(when one is much safer than the other).

Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 AM

214 posts, read 546,226 times
Metra is totally safe. Buy your departure tickets when you arrive downtown to avoid long lines. Get to train 15 minutes early to find seats next to each other.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM

77 posts, read 300,757 times
I live along the Big Timber Metra Line it's very very safe all the way downtown. When you get off and head towards the lake there will be a ton of people just like you walking in the same direction. It's the same heading back to the trains. I would avoid the Buses takes too long. The red line is fine and the elevated stops are also fine but once you get there everything is in walking distance. State and Mich has a ton of foot traffic.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
As others have said, it's as safe or safer than driving in the big picture.

Once you're at the terminal, I agree that it's usually just as fast for an adult to walk to State Street or most parts of the Loop proper as it is to try and take a bus. Having kids may slow you down a bit (or speed you up depending on the kids!)

Anyway, if it's cold or inclement or you just want to avoid walking, taxis in Chicago are relatively inexpensive compared to most other large cities and for moving around downtown for a small group (3-4 people), they're probably the same price as buying everyone bus rides anyway.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM

77 posts, read 300,757 times
Forgot to Mention you can take a water Taxi to Mich ave or Navy Pier for about $7

Old 01-13-2012, 12:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default All year round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBS07 View Post
Forgot to Mention you can take a water Taxi to Mich ave or Navy Pier for about $7
I thought the water taxi service was something that only ran during pleasant weather...

I agree that Loop / near Loop CTA service is the way good vs buses which are generally not much faster than walking. I suppose if the kids are under 5 or so and walking is a hassle / will tire them out a bus might make sense BUT taxi fare is generally the same or cheaper for groups of 4 or more...

Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I thought the water taxi service was something that only ran during pleasant weather...

I agree that Loop / near Loop CTA service is the way good vs buses which are generally not much faster than walking. I suppose if the kids are under 5 or so and walking is a hassle / will tire them out a bus might make sense BUT taxi fare is generally the same or cheaper for groups of 4 or more...
I'm almost certain you are right, water taxis won't be out right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs