Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 AM

41 posts, read 82,041 times

Advertisements

NIUE has a decent bus system for the university. It isn't too hard to get by without a car, as it is a college town. I do suggest getting a bike, though, if you don't already have one, because the university campus is quite spread out. There is a used bike shop in dekalb. Unfortunately, I have no idea about schools or anything. It does have a reputation as a safe town, but is definitely a college town.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 AM

33 posts, read 75,116 times
Default Grew up in DeKalb in Country Club Estates - it's a wonderful place!

I live in Manhattan now, but grew up in DeKalb, on Ilehamwood Drive in the Country Club Estates neighborhood. Let me try to give you some perspective as someone who has lived in several places, including downtown Chicago and New York City. I had an amazing childhood because where I lived was very near to Hopkins Park, golf courses, and there were a lot of forests and parks to enjoy. My neighborhood was the most upscale housing location in the 1970s and 1980s, and now there have been newer neighborhoods developed in town near where I grew up. However, Country Club Estates, which includes Ilehamwood Drive, Golfview Place, and Joanne Lane (from about the high 400s to 650 in street number) is still one of the three or four most desirable neighborhoods in DeKalb. The homes are situated on minimum 1/3 acre lots, and the smallest houses are about 1,800 square feet, ranging up to those that back up to the golf courses, where they can be as large as 5,000 square feet or so. The neighborhood has lots of old trees, and overlooks both the Buena Vista Golf Course (public) and the Kishwaukee Country Club (private) - the two golf courses are next to each other, divided by the Kishwaukee River, and so those houses in Country Club Estates on Joanne Lane that back up to the golf course have direct views over both facilities - could be a mile or more of distant views - very pretty. The homes in that neighborhood were all built to a high quality level in the late 1960s through 1989, when the last house was built at 135 Ilehamwood Drive on the last vacant lot. There is a variety of architectural styles, and the neighborhood has always been popular with families and faculty members at NIU. As you can tell, I highly recommend this neighborhood because it has an excellent, convenient location to shopping, campus, the new high school, and local recreation. And as a kid who grew up there, I can vouch personally for its locational amenities for kids and families.

The fact that NIU is located in DeKalb is a major positive for the community because DeKalb is full of interesting people who have either wound up there because they are graduate students or faculty members. People from all over the world, studying or teaching interesting things, and a high ratio of advanced degrees among the non-student population. So there is a strong appreciation for cultural organizations, historic preservation, and the arts, and this finds its way into the public schools. The Kishwaukee Symphony is fantastic, and NIU is well-known for its music program - there are amazing concerts on campus all the time, most of which are free. I had a wonderful public education, with dedicated teachers who had good strong relationships with faculty members at NIU. Frequently, our field trips growing up were to visit an on-campus museum, concert, or gallery. During high-school, I was able to use the chemistry labs at NIU for my science fair projects. NIU's students can be a little overwhelming on campus, but the university's presence in town makes DeKalb completely different from what many might expect a town that distant from Chicago to be like. Moving there for the first time, there may be some trepidation about the size of the student population, but the university is the institutional anchor of the community that provides tremendous benefits in terms of things to do, opportunities to interact with faculty or visiting artists or lecturers. There are a number of ethnic restaurants, and good traditional American restaurants as well. It takes about an hour to drive into Chicago's loop, but the train in Elburn is really convenient. O'Hare is really not that far away, taking perhaps an hour and ten minutes to drive to from DeKalb. Given that it takes 30 to 40 minutes to get to O'Hare from Michigan Avenue, the travel time from DeKalb is pretty good.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,527 times
What to expect? hmmmm...... depression.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 964 times
I go to school here at NIU. I am telling you my honest perspective of the past 2 years. When i first got here, I loved it. Transportation is good. The Huskie bus line is the pride and joy of NIU. However, a lot of section 8 housing has been built here and some gang activity has started to arise. I live near the downtown area next to campus. Just last week 2 people walking at 5 PM were approached by 2 males with a handgun. Shots were fired in another case this past Saturday. Crime is rapidly increasing. Last semester someone was shot on the street adjacent to the one I live. Most of the crime in Dekalb happens away from campus so I would recommend staying close. The weather can be extremely bipolar. The illinois budget crisis has left NIU bleeding. Funds are running out. Housing is cheap. From current trends I would not live here any more than 5 years. Just be cautious. For now you should be fine.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:37 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
The last post prior to yours was over 4 years ago, you're a little late to the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs