Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 06:17 AM

4 posts, read 14,973 times

Advertisements

My wife and I, along with our new baby, are looking to rent somewhere between DeKalb (where my parents live) and the far Southwest side of the city (where I work and her parents live).

We are looking to spend under $1000/mo for rent.

Where are we going to get the most bang for our buck?

What about Aurora? I've seen some great deals, but where are the good parts/bad parts.

Other ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 07:23 AM

474 posts, read 2,544,061 times
Default The Bottom Line is Transportation

Dear Friends:

Choose a place to rent very close to your employment location. If that is not possible, then choose a community that will give you good railroad / bus transportation to your job.

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL &
Cortland, IL

Old 10-07-2007, 07:43 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,551,160 times
Where exactly will you be working? In the Southwest side of the city itself, or the Southwest suburbs?

Old 10-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Southwest Burbs.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,477,455 times
How often do you intend to visit your parents? Do you need access to them on a moment's notice -- for instance, are they going to play an active role in taking care of the baby? Or is the ability to squirt out there on weekends sufficient? And what suburb will you be working in?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 AM

Working in Bedford Park, but I don't want to live in the area.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,477,455 times
So you're literally right next to the airport. That helps. Still would like to know how readily you need access to your parents: Daily or occasionally (such as weekends)?

Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,524,495 times
Default I know of many areas for you to look at

For $1000 a mo you can get yourself a really nice 2 bedroom 1 ba right in Orland Park off 151st Street and Ravinia. Look it up on a map, the neighborhood sits right to the west of La Grange Road at the intersection of 151st Street. The area is VERY safe, nice for families, close to EVERYTHING you can imagine, great schools, has off-street parking, all the apts from what I saw in that area pay heat, water, gas, and have storage both on the balcony and in the basement of which is all inclusive in your rent. Also there is coin op-laundry in the basement. The street to take a drive down is El Cameno Re'al there are always for rent signs out there.

Then there is another area directly behind Orland Square Mall where you can get yourself a REAL nice apt with dining room and all that for $1000 a mo. That area is located on Lake View Drive off 151st Street about 2 blocks north.

Then there are another batch of nice apartments on Tiffany Drive which is located on the east side of town. Tiffany Dr. is located right off 159th Street and 76th Avenue. Again those apartments pay heat, water, garbage, gas, and have dining rooms as well as 2 beds and in some cases are 2 baths! Some even have garages.

Another area that I know of that is really nice is off 153rd Street and West Avenue right across from Centenial Park. Those are actually condos, but in many cases the private owners rent them out and because they are condos, they are bigger and have laundry in the unit usually. Rent there goes for again about $1000 a mo.

Here is a helpful link for you to check out. :: Classifieds ::

And I forgot to mention that Orland Park and Tinley Park both are only a 20 minute drive to Bedford Park via La Grange (Rte 45) to Rte 171 or Harlem to 63rd Street allowing you more time with your family instead of being stuck in traffic on I-88 or 55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs