Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 AM

252 posts, read 459,225 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I recently got a job and my project is in Northbrook IL, I am currently living in NJ but will be moving to Chicago (Northbrook) next week. I am trying to find a place to live mostly a sharing place. around $400/month.

Can you please suggest some good area to live near Allstate office?
What should I expect when I come there?
How's the night life near Northbrook area?
Any good Gym in that area?
How far is it from Downtown Chicago?
How's the public transportation here?
Is it easily commutable from Northbrook to the ORD Airport?

Please help me settle down there,

TIA,

T. Waffle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Waffle View Post
Hi guys,

I recently got a job and my project is in Northbrook IL, I am currently living in NJ but will be moving to Chicago (Northbrook) next week. I am trying to find a place to live mostly a sharing place. around $400/month.

Can you please suggest some good area to live near Allstate office?
What should I expect when I come there?
How's the night life near Northbrook area?
Any good Gym in that area?
How far is it from Downtown Chicago?
How's the public transportation here?
Is it easily commutable from Northbrook to the ORD Airport?

Please help me settle down there,

TIA,

T. Waffle
Hey T-
1. All areas around Northbrook area. Expensive though. Mostly bedroom community with parents of young kids. Not many options to share an apartment---but if you try hard enough you might find someone. There are some apartments near Allstate. You may consider living in the city or Evanston and commuting.

2. Not very good night life in Northbrook. In Glenview there is the Glenview house or Grandpa's though...I don't know if you call that night life.

3. There is a Ballys in Deerbrook Mall in Deerfield. It used to be a Montgomery Wards auto center----but that was 25 years ago.

4. 30 minutes to downtown in GOOD traffic. Up to 90 minutes in bad.

5. Public transportation around Allstate.... Not good. There is a metra station in Northbrook but its a few miles away. If you research it, maybe there is a bus from the Metra station to Allstate.

6. Allstate to ORD would be 15 minutes in good traffic. Though in rush hours it could take much longer.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
You should expect Derrick Rose to be your neighbor and a whole lot of welcomed, or unwelcomed, boredom.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:53 AM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
You should expect Derrick Rose to be your neighbor and a whole lot of welcomed, or unwelcomed, boredom.
lol. If the OP needs to share a pad, I heard Lebron maybe moving to the area.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 AM

252 posts, read 459,225 times
Sounds like a decent area to live in. Glad that I am 30 mins drive from Downtown 1 to 1.5hr is ok with traffic too as I do that right now from NJ to NYC. I guess if the Allstate has gym I might use that or else Ballys it is.

I don't mind hanging out with Derrick Rose. LOL!!

What are other good areas near Northbrook I should consider to stay? I am looking for young crowd area, rather than kiddies area.

If I rent a place in Downtown or near by will I be stuck in traffic or most people commute from Northbrook and near by areas to Downtown?

TIA

Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 AM

343 posts, read 1,314,039 times
My husband has got a job offer in north brook.
we are in NYC now
is north brook costlier than NYC?
how much will a 1 bedroom house cost us?
his project is in all state bank

are there good universitites there? how is public transport?

twaffle,
i did not mean to hijack your thread
i did not want to start a new one and that's why added here

Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
I would say that it can certainly be costlier than most of NYC. Millionaires and professional athletes live in Northbrook so take that for what it is worth.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,640 times
Northbrook is certainly not costlier than NYC, especially Manhattan or Brooklyn. In fact, all of Chicagoland is generally cheaper than the NY Metro area. To complicate matters, NYC has way worse commutes when commuting in from the suburbs.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Picture Northbrook as being similar to one of the wealthier suburbs of NYC (whether in Bergen County, NJ, or Westchester County, NY or Nassau County, NY on Long Island). It is affluent, has a pretty large commercial and corporate base, and is a bit removed from the city of Chicago. There are towns within a few miles of Northbrook that are more affordable (ie. Buffalo Grove, Wheeling, Des Plaines, Niles, Morton Grove, Skokie), and towns to the east of it that are even more affluent bedroom communities (ie. Glencoe, Winnetka, etc.)

Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If the person looking to relocate from NYC is used to Manhattan prices and sizes than, yes Northbrook is far more affordable. From other parts of the NY metro area the advice of reppin'_the_847 is probably valid.

It may be possible to rent a two bedroom apartment that is fairly close to Allstate in some of the towns mentioned for a fairly modest sum.

There are no full fledged university campuses particularly nearby Northbrook, though it may be possible to take some classes at extension sites. Depending on what course of studies the poster wishes to pursue it is probably best to assume that a location in Chicago itself would offer the greatest range of colleges AND the best access to those colleges via public transportation.

The most common commuting patten to Northbrook from Chicago is via a car. The travel times may be an hour or more in peak rush hour conditions, perhaps as little as 40 minutes or so from desirable Chicago neighborhoods near to the expressway off peak. There are limited number of public transportation opportunities to get to the various Allstate locations from the trains stations that include some public buses and I believe that Allstate does (or did...) have some charter service that may make it possible for employees to get to the office...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs