Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,090 times

Advertisements

Looking for a nice suburb near the border of Illinois and Indiana - like around Southern Chicagoland region. I looked at Burr Ridge (probably as far west as this area is concerned) and Mokena.

Any of these good? Any other recs?

Looking for a suburb that reminds me of Naperville.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Looking for a nice suburb near the border of Illinois and Indiana - like around Southern Chicagoland region. I looked at Burr Ridge (probably as far west as this area is concerned) and Mokena.

Thanks!
Lynwood
Crete
Monee
South Holland
Lansing
Homewood
Flossmoor

the list goes on and on.

I think the best one would be Frankfort or Mokena if you want a reminder of Naperville, with Frankfort reminding me of Naperville the most.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:03 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post

Thanks!
Huh? I'm pretty sure Bur Ridge is closer to the west side of Chicago than Indiana. And Mokena is also a southwest suburb and pretty far from Indiana. Maybe they're "close to Indiana" in comparison to wherever you're coming from but as someone from the south suburbs, I scratched my head, suspected your of trolling and then re-read your post again and figured out what you meant. I wouldn't want to live in Bur Ridge or Mokena and have to commute to Indiana, especially if my job was more than one town past the state line.

But yeah, if being close to Indiana is actually a preference, you're gonna want to be east of I-57 and actually in the south suburbs not the southwest suburbs. And I'd hate to break it to you but there is nothing that is anything like Naperville down here. If you want Dupage County, live in Dupage County. To compare any south suburb to Naperville is insulting to both Naperville and said south suburb.

I'd suggest Homewood. You can also look into Lynwood. It's a nice community that borders Dyer, Indiana. Lots of McMansions are in Lynwood and barely any retail. Homewood, on the other hand, is further away from Indiana, has low crime, good schools, charming old houses and a good downtown by suburban standards. If you like Naperville's downtown, I suppose you might like downtown Homewood. But seriously, don't be expecting Dupage County in the south suburbs!

Last edited by urza216; 04-05-2011 at 07:36 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,116 times
Homewood
Tinley Park
Orland Park
Palos Heights

All good areas easy access to Indiana

Closer to Indiana on the Illinois side you will not find any areas that are in character with naperville

Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Homewood
Tinley Park
Orland Park
Palos Heights

All good areas easy access to Indiana

Closer to Indiana on the Illinois side you will not find any areas that are in character with naperville
All three of those towns other than Homewood are southwest suburbs.. Why all the recommendations that are so far west? There are a number of suburbs that actually are in close proximity to Indiana. Deechee gave seven good examples and I gave two. I'll also throw Matteson and Olympia Fields on the list of nice suburbs that are even closer to Indiana than the last three towns on your list.

Last edited by urza216; 04-05-2011 at 10:37 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Okay Lansing, South Holland, Dolton, Thornton, Crete, Chicago Heights are all close to the Indiana border- He wanted a town that was similar to Naperville.

I hate to assume anything but i was assuming he was referring to the restaurants , shopping and all of the above areas you need to travel to get to a major retail area that is similar. I am very familiar with the south suburbs so i get your point. was not singling out any area over the other just trying to get compare the closest to naperville.

Personally I would recomment Oak Forest or Crestwood too
actually Crete and lynwood would be the closest to Indiana along with cal city and Lansing.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Someone suggested Frankfort. Makes sense for what the OP requested.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Personally I would recomment Oak Forest or Crestwood too
actually Crete and lynwood would be the closest to Indiana along with cal city and Lansing.

Oak Forest is SOOOO underrated sometimes. It really is a great place to live. Lynwood is not given enough credit either.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:31 PM

Sure with you on that point - Oak Forest is a great Village

Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,312 times
Why even live in Illinois?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs