Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,083,359 times

Advertisements

To say Franfort is a wealthier version of Naperville is kinda like saying Chicago is a wealthier version of Saint Louis. Or at least if we were to mistakenly assume that Frankfort even is a wealthier town.

Naperville is the fifth largest city in Illinois with over 140,000 people living there. Franfort is just regular sized suburb with around 14,000 people living there. Although I did round the numbers, this means that Naperville is about ten times as big. Naperville is unique in that (very unlike Franfort) it FEELS like a a big town with lots of stuff and lots of people but still (unlike Joliet) manages to keep that extremely suburban feel to it (and I'm not talking about "suburban" demographics).

Franfort is an upper middle class to affluent bedroom community. Naperville is an upper middle class to affluent MECCA with umpteen corporate offices, board rooms and corporate headquarters located on the outskirts of town. There's a reason why Chet has an inflated idea about how many affluent south suburbanites work in Dupage County. He may be wrong but it's still not an idea he pulled out of his ass! The median income for a household in frankfort is $83,055/year and the median income for a household in Naperville is $101,894/year. And even if the median income in this city of over 140,000 was less than Frankfort's, it would be pretty wow-worthy.

In addition to having a higher median income than Frankfort, there is a sizable segment of Naperville's population that is filthy stinkin' rich - possessing a kind of wealth that blows almost anyone holding residence in the southland out of the water. Some of the wealthiest people in Chicagoland and even the United States live in Naperville. Successful doctors, lawyers and small business owners may be buying up houses in Frankfort but high-ranking corporate executives who earn way more than 100k/year are buying up houses in parts of Naperville.

Allen, have you ever actually been to Naperville? I, a far south suburbanite, have some familarity with Naperville and not even because I have any friends or family who live there. I wonder how many people in Naperville have even heard of Frankfort..? Every month or so, I used to go to the sixth floor in one of the big office buildings in Downtown Naperville (or at least way bigger than any of the office buildings in Matteson, Olympia Fields or Flossmoor). Afterwards, I'd drive all around Downtown Naperville and the the only cheap food options I was ever able to find were crap like McDonalds and TGI Fridays. No gyros joints, cheap mexican restaurants or Chinese carry out places like you very well could be able to find in affluent Frankfort. It's just south side culture, I guess.

Oh, and the endless line of countless white people as far as the eye can see is quite as sight, BTW. Frankfort is small and always seems to have a few minorities dining, shopping and heading in and out. I used to play this mental game in Naperville called "spot the black person". I've played a similar but very different game when passing Redline stations on the Dan Ryan. It takes time and keeps me busy. I'm not talking about demographics. I'm talking about what you actually see with your two eyes when you're in the town. I know there are blacks and Hispanics living in some of those Naperville apartments. And I know Naperville has a significant but strangely invisible Asian population.

Yep, we can let the record show that the issue of race was first overtly brought up by me.. I suppose we can also pretend to be color blind and act like I'm a racist (or "race baiter") for pointing these things out.

Last edited by urza216; 04-06-2011 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,113,616 times
How can it be racist when it is a fact - the demographic statistics prove that statistic
Just because you me or the other person repeats hard facts does not mean racism is being called out.

Isnt the whole point of this board to get familiar with an area for people who arent keen to the differences of one area against another.

Kind of confuses me if that is being a racist when the demographics support the truth of the matter.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 AM

829 posts, read 2,091,462 times
The most recent census income information for the two towns shows that frankfort has the edge up becoming slightly more affluent median income wise than naperville. Median 2009 household income in Frankfort was $116,433 and median family income was $122,045. Median 2009 household income in naperville was $100,503 and median family income was $119,047. I agree with you on the size difference. Naperville is a very affluent small city with 141,853 residents and frankfort is a slightly more affluent suburb with 17,782 residents.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Allen, have you ever actually been to Naperville? I, a far south suburbanite, have some familarity with Naperville and not even because I have any friends or family who live there. I wonder how many people in Naperville have even heard of Frankfort..? Every month or so, I used to go to the sixth floor in one of the big office buildings in Downtown Naperville (or at least way bigger than any of the office buildings in Matteson, Olympia Fields or Flossmoor). Afterwards, I'd drive all around Downtown Naperville and the the only cheap food options I was ever able to find were crap like McDonalds and TGI Fridays. No gyros joints, cheap mexican restaurants or Chinese carry out places like you very well could be able to find in affluent Frankfort. It's just south side culture, I guess.

Oh, and the endless line of countless white people as far as the eye can see is quite as sight, BTW. Frankfort is small and always seems to have a few minorities dining, shopping and heading in and out. I used to play this mental game in Naperville called "spot the black person". I've played a similar but very different game when passing Redline stations on the Dan Ryan. It takes time and keeps me busy. I'm not talking about demographics. I'm talking about what you actually see with your two eyes when you're in the town. I know there are blacks and Hispanics living in some of those Naperville apartments. And I know Naperville has a significant but strangely invisible Asian population.

Yep, we can let the record show that the issue of race was first overtly brought up by me.. I suppose we can also pretend to be color blind and act like I'm a racist (or "race baiter") for pointing these things out.
Yes, I am familiar with naperville and very familiar with neighboring bolingbrook. I would point more to the biggest income difference between naperville residents and other towns mentioned south is not the amount of income earned or race of the residents for that matter. But how that income is mostly derived. Naperville has alot more corporate money earning residents as you pointed out. Although frankfort, flossmoor, olympia fields, and homewood have there fair share of corporate income earning residents. Flossmoor and olympia fields in particular because of it's large middle class and affluent black population has a lot more successful small business owners and self employed individuals. Much of that does kind of come down to race as well as regional location differences. Middle income and affluent african americans are more likely to own a small business or be self employed than whites in that same income bracket. Whites in that income bracket are more likely to have a corporate job. Although, a large population of whites who live in olympia fields, homewood, and flossmoor are small business owners and self employed as well. This difference in how the income of residents is earned plays a role in a lot of the differences between the two areas. Such as homes prices. Corporate earners are more likely to spend more on there homes, do mainly to having more of an income tax incentive to do so. Corporate derived income is taxed above board like no other form of income. No real way to get around it but to spend it in a way that you can get a income tax deduction.

Last edited by allen2323; 04-06-2011 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,113,616 times
Quote:
Prior hand experience with this forum.

After a few very heated discussions (which today are locked threads with several posts inside having been removed), some people seem to think it's best to not talk about it anymore.
Interesting

Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,083,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
The most recent census income information for the two towns shows that frankfort has the edge up becoming slightly more affluent median income wise than naperville. Median 2009 household income in Frankfort was $116,433 and median family income was $122,045. Median 2009 household income in naperville was $100,503 and median family income was $119,047. I agree with you on the size difference. Naperville is a very affluent small city with 141,853 residents and frankfort is a slightly more affluent suburb with 17,782 residents.
Where did you get these stats? I was looking for more recent ones but unable to find them.

Last edited by urza216; 04-06-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Where did you get these stats? I was looking for more recent ones but unable to find them.
The census.gov website. Go to quick facts and the most recent community survey has 2009 median income statistics.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,923,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Wasn't Homewood Flossmoor shcool system rated tops in the state,and they have an excellant sports program.

Sure is hard to beat the Flossmoor downtown area as far a quaint and charming feel. I

took some visitors threre to eat at a restaurant at the old train station and they just were in awe over the village charm. Please correct me if I am wrong but Olympia Fields does not have a "downtown"

So many burbs were built up as bedroom communities and if its one thing I wish we had more of it would be the feel of a downtown in many of the suburbs. This is just my opinion but a center of town gives someone a great sense of community.
Naperville is kind of out there on its own compared to a few of the other burbs because its size appears much larger.\\

Flossmoor is more boxed in and does not have much room if any to expand outside of its borders.

I also believe the other villages Homewood Flossmoor and homewood and Frankfort hit the mark because they have a bit more historical feel to them. Granted I have not spent a great deal of time out in Naperville but that is just my perception. Naperville does have a really nice downtown area with shopping and restaurants that are unique.
To me, that's what is great about OF and HF, it can never get any bigger. They are meant to be bedroom communities, and I personally enjoy that. That's kind of a relief. I like tha this won't ever be a sprawling place. Ya know, everyone doesn't like endless strip malls and new condos and crap everywhere. OF doesn't really have a downtown, but I like to think of it as the shopping center on Vollmer.

Naperville is too new for me.

Quote:
How can it be racist when it is a fact - the demographic statistics prove that statistic
Just because you me or the other person repeats hard facts does not mean racism is being called out.

Isnt the whole point of this board to get familiar with an area for people who arent keen to the differences of one area against another.

Kind of confuses me if that is being a racist when the demographics support the truth of the matter.
That's just how it is, some will claim racism whether it is or isn't. Really, can every town be affluent, all at the same time? Plus what people forget sometimes, is that those are often combined incomes. If one household earns $123k, then how do we know who's earning more? How they earned the money? If both of them work?

Quote:
Interesting
Sometimes it's disgusting. Other times, it is interesting.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,283,321 times
Quote:
Naperville is too new for me.
That quote sums it up in a nutshell. We all have our different comfort levels that influence where we live. It goes beyond demographics and can include density, mix of housing, lot sizes, how wooded or un-woooded an area is, how new or old and many others.
I do not know enough about the south suburbs to draw a comparison, but I can say that I see a lot of similarities between Naperville and Orland Park.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,311,099 times
I think for anyone who is interested in demographics a link can be posted to each town. I supose if a white millionaire business owner is offended by living next to a black millionaire business owner (or vice versa) it could be a problem, but I don't know why. You can pick your neighbor today but you can't ten years from today or when demographics change.

I do not see anything to be gained by dragging racism in to every post about H-F or OF. I live in a rural community 50 miles from any town of size.that is comprised mainly of while farmers. Yet we have Black, Indian, Oriental, Native American and Hispanic residents. Unless you live in a farming town that has a population of 100 or less you are probably not going to find a lilly white community in Illinois. It is certainly unlikely it can found in Chicago or its suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs