Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:00 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times

Advertisements

I agree that the OP will need to make some decisions. They want a new house with 3000 square ft, the want a small school, they want top notch athletics and academics. They have $350k. Something has to be compromised...

Personally I would have zero reservations about HC in the OPs case - the staff is experienced, the coaches are supportive and talented, they have advisory sections specifically organized to help transfer students, kids are VERY much clued in to balance of demanding courses & high level athletic competitiveness.

If the OP wants best academics and best athletics that won't happen at smaller school in region...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 08:11 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I just don't think Hinsdale Central is within their budget for the type of house they desire. Heck, it may even be a stretch further west. Chet pulled up a handful of houses in their price range, none of which were particularly nice or large. People shopping for a house generally want more than a handful of listings to view.

I'll say they should consider the HC area if they find a house they can live with by some miracle, but I will say that a couple of years ago I saw nothing but deeply flawed houses in that area, and looked at anything under $600k. Granted I was a bit more picky about location, but still...

I think looking in the Fox Valley area could make sense for this family, and will also go back to Wheaton, Naperville, and northern Downers Grove.

There are some real bargains on large, new homes out by Plainfield, Mokena, etc (southwest, not west)... But you may sacrifice some school quality to be in those areas. I know some of the the Lincoln-Way high schools are smaller than 2000 students, and they are generally well-regarded.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I just don't think Hinsdale Central is within their budget for the type of house they desire. Heck, it may even be a stretch further west. Chet pulled up a handful of houses in their price range, none of which were particularly nice or large. People shopping for a house generally want more than a handful of listings to view.

I'll say they should consider the HC area if they find a house they can live with by some miracle, but I will say that a couple of years ago I saw nothing but deeply flawed houses in that area, and looked at anything under $600k. Granted I was a bit more picky about location, but still...

I think looking in the Fox Valley area could make sense for this family, and will also go back to Wheaton, Naperville, and northern Downers Grove.

There are some real bargains on large, new homes out by Plainfield, Mokena, etc (southwest, not west)... But you may sacrifice some school quality to be in those areas. I know some of the the Lincoln-Way high schools are smaller than 2000 students, and they are generally well-regarded.
And if they are working in "Metro West" (whatever that means), Fox Valley wouldn't be a bad area either. D204, Batavia or Geneva would not be bad, but D204/Batavia would give better transportation access generally.

Plainfield/Mokena can get dicey. And some Lincoln-Ways are pretty good, but I've never been a fan of the south burbs.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Plainfield/Mokena can get dicey. And some Lincoln-Ways are pretty good, but I've never been a fan of the south burbs.
That's why it's cheaper! Plenty of "non-dicey" areas in both towns, though.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
That's why it's cheaper! Plenty of "non-dicey" areas in both towns, though.
True! If I looked in Plainfield though, I would look into areas feeding into Plainfield North, I believe that one gets the best rep.

Still, I don't think you can beat FV in this scenario. Batavia/Geneva can get pricey, but I think there are homes in both towns for that amount.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
True! If I looked in Plainfield though, I would look into areas feeding into Plainfield North, I believe that one gets the best rep.

Still, I don't think you can beat FV in this scenario. Batavia/Geneva can get pricey, but I think there are homes in both towns for that amount.
I'd strongly consider it in their position, if they can afford the taxes.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Honestly, depending on the likelihood of long-term stay in the region / seniority of position I would really hesitate to recommend towns further out...

Old 05-08-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Honestly, depending on the likelihood of long-term stay in the region / seniority of position I would really hesitate to recommend towns further out...
For fear of having to change jobs later and getting stuck with the choice either a horrible daily commute or uprooting the family?

That's one reason I picked a location where easily commuting downtown was always an option...

Old 05-08-2015, 05:11 PM

5 posts, read 7,579 times
Does anyone know about Oswego area? I will looked into Fox Valley. We can afford more for a house, but my husband wants to pay cash and not have much of a mortgage. I am willing to pay more. I love all of the help and anymore will be great!

Old 05-08-2015, 06:12 PM

Oswego built on the cheap and it's not doing well, both high schools, especially Oswego East, are not too desirable, mainly due to spillover from the not-so-nice part of Aurora. Just across the border in DuPage Co. is D204, Waubonsie. Further north is Metea, and west of there, Batavia. There might be more housing variety near Metea than Waubonsie, but I would still recommend Batavia. It's smaller, more community oriented, but does come with a bit of a price tag. Geneva a little moreso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs