Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 PM

132 posts, read 445,084 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are visiting Chicagoland in early October to see if we would like to relocate there from California. We originally thought we would want to live in the North Shore but are finding that it is too expensive for us ( I was very surprised by the home prices). I have read many other threads on what are the best suburbs and am sooo overwhelmed. Was wondering if anyone could recommend western, northwestern suburbs that would be a good place to raise a family, we have a 4 yr old and hope to have more children. We would like to be near a train station if possible so we could get into Chicago easily. we would like to be no more than an hour outside of Chicago. Would you live in the south burbs and if so which ones? Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,618,399 times
I would not live in the south suburbs,dont like it near as well and dont like alot of the surrounding areas,just an opinion>I dont know what your price range is and that makes alot of difference.Naperville,Glen Ellyn,Elmhurst,Arlington Hts.,Wheaton,Geneva,Barrington are just SOME excellent burbs with great parks,schools,neighborhoods,very nice downtown areas,family activities,train commute to the city.You can do a search on any of these on this forum and find endless discussions.Good Luck to you

Old 09-11-2007, 07:02 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,249,584 times
Just FYI, Naperville is rated one of the best places to raise a family, but it's also expensive. In general, look at Naperville, Wheaton, Lombard, Downers Grove, Lisle, Shaumburg, Arlingon Hights, Evanston, Oak Park.....the list can go on...

Old 09-11-2007, 07:49 PM

532 posts, read 1,232,188 times
I'd look at western or northwestern burbs. These are mostly upper middle class places that are good to raise a family. I'd stay out of south
Recommendations:
Naperville alot of young, high income families, town has 140k population
St. Charles/Geneva: soccer mom community, nice newer homes, only downside is that it's kind of far from Chicago (about an hour)
Wheaton/Glen Ellyn: conservative affluent area, alot of different age groups, wheaton is known as the city of churchs, very family oriented town (was a dry town for years)
Arlington Heights/Buffalo Grove: Great towns, only downside is taking Kennedy into Chicago
Elmhurst: great town, don't get a lot for your money, close to chicago

Old 09-11-2007, 08:16 PM

153 posts, read 210,060 times
I am wondering did you consider Evanston? It is on the North Shore and can be a bit pricey but it is really exploding. Evanston has a lower end section that is getting gentrified now. It is generally considered the area south of Emerson, East of the Channel, West of Wesley Ave, and North of Howard. There is a new development inbetween Downtown Evanston and Evanston High School, being built by Cyrus Homes. The address is 1613 Church. They are nice family sized townhomes. They go for around $386,000 to around $450,000. I don't know you price range so I am just going with the affordable places. There is a nice park across the street with tennis courts, baseball field, and playground. The development is in the most economically and racially diverse section. There are multi million dollar mansions less than a block away and some $300-$400,000 homes to the west. There is a Metra Station about 5 blocks away, and a CTA station on Davis about a block southeast of the Metra Station. There are not any schools close by except for the Evanston magnet schools King Lab and Bessie Rhodes (Timberidge). People in this section of Evanston generally get to choose their public schools because they are not assigned. There are also many private options like Roycemore, Pope John, St. Agnathius (Hope I spelled that right), and Baker. Roycemore and Baker are generally considered among the best in the area. Another area to look in Evanston would be an area called Skevanston. On a map it will appear that the home is in Skokie. By purchasing here you get the best of both suburbs. Skokie Taxes, Evanston Address, Evanston Schools, Both Park Districts. Homes in this section go from around $390,000 to a little under $1 Million. There is a home on Forestview for $399,000 that is really nice and renovated. Sometime you can find a decent place in Wilmette. Wilmette is a set above Evanston on the economic scale and in education. But there are many people who just cannot make it in Chicago public schools because of their competitiveness. I have lived in Evanston since 1974, but we are moving seeking a quieter lifestyle in nearby Glencoe. Evanston has tons to offer a vibrant downtown, Northwestern University, Nice lakefront parks (something the western suburbs do not have), and great commuinity events. Some people say Evanston is not safe but I disagree. It being so close to Chicago drives up crime but usually this is theft or auto related crime. I live in far east Evanston across the street from the lake and I have never ever heard of a break-in. There was a murder recently over by ETHS but this was a student who was dealing with a person from Skokie for all the wrong reasons. Generally this type of thing never happens. Evanston truly is great for young families and proffesionals. I would really look again at the North Shore because it has so much to offer. The nice western suburbs like Naperville, Clarendon Hills, Oak Brook, and Western Springs are probably only a little cheaper. But I would liuve in a smaller hous on the North Shore than a larger one in the Western Suburbs.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 PM

532 posts, read 1,232,188 times
Evanston is definitely cheaper than Clarendon Hills, Oak Brook and Western Springs

Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 PM

153 posts, read 210,060 times
To my knowledge price per square foot is higher in Evanston. The average condo price per square foot is only second to Chicago in Illinois. A Million dollar home is definitely more in Clarendon Hills than in Evanston. I looked at homes in Clarendon Hills in 2006 and $950,000 got you way more there than it does here. Oak Brook is probably more expensive but then it is a totally different type of suburb. Western Springs is a bit similar to Evanston, high-end restaurants but not as big or urban. I would say Oak Park or Naperville are the most similar. Oak Park is a little less affluent. Naperville is huge and spread out. cmow I would also add you should look at Lincolnwood and Skokie. You might find a nice charming place in 'The Glen' in Glenview. Glenview has pretty good schools, Glenbrook South is considered pretty good, but I have heard of a girl getting raped in GLenbrook South. Northbrook is a really nice suburb to pretty far from the lake and a bit cookie cutter. Northbrook has outstanding shopping and outstanding schools. Glenbrook North is considered one of the best in the state.

Last edited by homewifeev; 09-11-2007 at 09:29 PM..

Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,945,525 times
In my opinion, the nicest western suburbs:
Hinsdale-(very expensive)
Wheaton
Glen Ellyn
Naperville

All very nice places. Also nice but not my top favorites are Downers Grove, Elmhurst, Clarendon Hills, Western Springs and LaGrange.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:01 PM

132 posts, read 445,084 times
We are looking at spending $450,000 - $600,000 on a home and would like 4BR. We also would like a home that is updated and doesn't need a lot of work. Where we live in Ca we have less than a 1/4 of an acre and at least 6 homes looking into our yard, plus there are no mature trees. So we would like a little more privacy. Talked to a realtor that works in the North Shore and said we could only get 3BR for our price range that needs fixing up. That's why we are looking elsewhere. Are the western suburbs near trains so if my husband works in Chicago he could commute with them? Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:45 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,618,399 times
You could look at all the mentioned burbs and see what feels best>they all sound like they fit your category,its just finding the right house and town that feels like "yours".5-600 will get you a house in any of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs