Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:18 PM

9 posts, read 35,059 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Right now my DH, DD and I live in the Dallas, TX area. My DH was just offered a promotion and transfer to Channahon, IL. So now I'm searching! Don't you hate moving?! LOL

I'll give you some info about me and what we're looking for and maybe someone can help me out.

We are a middle class (?) white family with a cat ...
DD is in high school, involved in dance, choir and sign language as some of her courses ...
DH doesn't want to have to drive more than 15 minutes to get to work ...
We need at least a 3 bedroom (4 would be nice), 2 bath home to RENT or lease ...
We can't afford to pay more than $1800 a month and that's stretching it ...
A fenced in back yard would be nice ...
A neighborhood with some good kids in it (younger & older - so DD can make friends and babysitting jobs) ...
We are not racist people, but don't want to be the minority of any group ... a nice mix would be fine ...

Do most houses have basements? Are most places heated by electric or gas? What is Channahon like? Is it family friendly? Growing? Affordable? Have rentals?

Any help anyone can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and offering any thoughts or advice you think would be helpful.

Is there anything else I can add that would be helpful? I'm feeling at a loss right now ... this all came up kind of suddenly!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,799 times
Default Channahon reply

I Forgot Most houses are heated by natural gas.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:50 AM

Thank you for your response and PM's, Peter. I truly appreciate it!
Another question maybe you could answer for me - what's the daily newspaper that Channahon and surrounding areas receive? And are there a lot of rental homes available? We're not in the market to buy as of yet.
Thanks again. I really appreciate your input!
God bless,
Cassi <><

Old 08-29-2006, 09:13 PM

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Thank you!

Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 PM

8 posts, read 26,949 times
I think you will like it here. The summers aren't quite as bad as Dallas but the winters are hard to deal with if you don't like snow! The schools are good, they have a public pool and a great park district. we have lots of places to fish and bike ride. The crime is pretty low and you should easily find a place for $1800 or less per month. I live about 2 blocks from the river, 2 bed room with a full basement and 2 car garage for much less than that. Look for the Morris Herald newspaper. Morris is less expensive and only 10 miles away...not as nice to look at but still safe. Joliet has high crime. Not alot to rent, but the paper should help. Gas for heat and cooking...I wouldn't want anything else to cook with. Minooka is nice too, both have good schools. Family friendly and Growing quite alot. Stop by the Village Hall when you get here, they have booklets for retailers,etc. in the area. I have been here almost 3 years and I really like it...Ricky Gray is a good realtor - patient. He was mine - we saw about 20 houses and then I found a "for sale by owner". I felt bad, so I throw his name out when someone asks. Good Luck

Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 AM

Thank you Sherry!
I appreciate your input!
I'll keep Ricky Gray in mind as we set forth in our venture!!!
Thanks again ...
Have a great day : )

Old 09-26-2006, 09:50 AM

DH is heading there this weekend for the week, to start work and check out the areas and find us a rental home or apartment.
Any other ideas and helpful suggestions from anyone?

Thanks so much!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 29,458 times
Default channahon

I used ti live in morris illinois, town just west of channahon. It is a nice quiet town, good people, it is growing too. It is by the interstate so its easy access to the city, etc. Morris is nice town too. Just 10-15 mins down the road.

jeremy

Old 09-29-2006, 02:40 PM

Thanks for your input Jeremy!
I really appreciate it.
It's always scary going to an unknown place!

Blessings,
Cassi <><

Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 27,805 times
Channohon is very pretty, I don't know much about the town but it seems less croweded and busy than a lot of the other suburbs. Morris is nice as well but there is lots of new construction there, more of a pairie feel with less trees from what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs