Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2020, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,085 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
My husband and I are looking to purchase our first single family home. He works in Channahon, and I’m currently in Lombard. We currently rent in the Oak Brook area, and I’ve quickly learned we can’t afford much if we want to stay in this area. I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where we could move with tolerable commutes for both of us. My husband’s current commute is long miles wise, but because he goes against traffic he can make it in 40 min. We’d both like to have commutes under 45 minutes.

I was looking into Plainfield but seems 55 could be an absolute mess for me. I was looking into Lockport, but was informed my husband’s commute would stink as it’s hard to get from Lockport to the Joliet area where he works.

I’m wondering if anyone has any insight into the area and where else we might look where our money might go further. I work in an industry where it’s common to change jobs every few years so I wouldn’t want to base our home purchase solely off of proximity to my job, but I would very much like the commute to be tolerable. Metra access would also be a HUGE plus, but it’s not a dealbreaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 12:01 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogreekgal View Post
Hi there!
My husband and I are looking to purchase our first single family home. He works in Channahon, and I’m currently in Lombard. We currently rent in the Oak Brook area, and I’ve quickly learned we can’t afford much if we want to stay in this area. I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where we could move with tolerable commutes for both of us. My husband’s current commute is long miles wise, but because he goes against traffic he can make it in 40 min. We’d both like to have commutes under 45 minutes.

I was looking into Plainfield but seems 55 could be an absolute mess for me. I was looking into Lockport, but was informed my husband’s commute would stink as it’s hard to get from Lockport to the Joliet area where he works.

I’m wondering if anyone has any insight into the area and where else we might look where our money might go further. I work in an industry where it’s common to change jobs every few years so I wouldn’t want to base our home purchase solely off of proximity to my job, but I would very much like the commute to be tolerable. Metra access would also be a HUGE plus, but it’s not a dealbreaker.

Lemont is an option, nice SW suburb with Metra access and right there by I-355, which could take you straight to Lombard. I'm not familiar enough with how bad the Joliet area is with traffic and when your husband would be working, but I'd imagine there would be a way to make the Lemont area work, especially if his commute from Oak Brook is currently 40 mins.

It's a very nice, quiet suburb. To my knowledge, the area is also safe and has solid schools. Definitely more affordable than Oak Brook.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:06 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,088 times
What's your budget?

Old 06-28-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Lemont is an option, nice SW suburb with Metra access and right there by I-355, which could take you straight to Lombard. I'm not familiar enough with how bad the Joliet area is with traffic and when your husband would be working, but I'd imagine there would be a way to make the Lemont area work, especially if his commute from Oak Brook is currently 40 mins.

It's a very nice, quiet suburb. To my knowledge, the area is also safe and has solid schools. Definitely more affordable than Oak Brook.
Thank you! I will for sure check out Lemont! Looks like a nice area, and I love the metra access.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
What's your budget?
Thanks! 450k would probably be our max, but with how wonky property taxes are we could probably go a bit higher depending on that factor. However, I would prefer to spend less. We like to travel and not feel stretched thin. My husband also wants a two story home and isn’t thrilled with the idea of a fixer upper, so it seems there aren’t going to be a ton of options in Downers, Lisle, etc in our price range. It looks like parts of Naperville (closer to Plainfield) would give us some options, but I’m a bit concerned about my commute. I’d rather drive more miles to not sit in bumper to bumper traffic, just don’t have the best temperament for traffic! My 5 minute commute has spoiled me.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:20 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,281 times
Lemont might be a good option - that said in normal times the Metra only runs 3x per morning (to the city only) and 3x per night (away from the city only).

Naperville's probably a good option depending where you are in town. I'm kind of in the middle of Naperville. I'm not sure how far into Lombard you need to go from I-88, but I've had to go to Westchester some mornings during rush hour and it took about 30 minutes. Westchester's probably an extra 15 minutes east at least past the I-88 and I-355 intersection.

A general Google maps route from my house would get me to Channahon (in general) at 8am on a Monday in 34 minutes. That's with getting on I-55 at Weber, so I think your husband would avoid most of the I-55 traffic.

I've been able to reach Wedgewood golf course at Rt. 59 and Caton Farm in Plainfield in 25 minutes around weekday rush hour mainly taking Plainfield-Naperville Rd and Rt. 59, just as another point of reference.

You can get a pretty well updated 4br-2.5ba house with good schools, and by comparison to neighboring suburbs, lower property taxes at $450k in Naperville.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:35 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Lemont might be a good option - that said in normal times the Metra only runs 3x per morning (to the city only) and 3x per night (away from the city only).

Naperville's probably a good option depending where you are in town. I'm kind of in the middle of Naperville. I'm not sure how far into Lombard you need to go from I-88, but I've had to go to Westchester some mornings during rush hour and it took about 30 minutes. Westchester's probably an extra 15 minutes east at least past the I-88 and I-355 intersection.

A general Google maps route from my house would get me to Channahon (in general) at 8am on a Monday in 34 minutes. That's with getting on I-55 at Weber, so I think your husband would avoid most of the I-55 traffic.

I've been able to reach Wedgewood golf course at Rt. 59 and Caton Farm in Plainfield in 25 minutes around weekday rush hour mainly taking Plainfield-Naperville Rd and Rt. 59, just as another point of reference.

You can get a pretty well updated 4br-2.5ba house with good schools, and by comparison to neighboring suburbs, lower property taxes at $450k in Naperville.
If OP only needs Metra access for say, casual trips into the city, Lemont would work just fine. I do agree, that line is not nearly as active as the BNSF line.

If cost isn't a problem, Naperville wouldn't be too bad either.... particularly SW area of Naperville.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:18 AM

748 posts, read 832,789 times
What about Lombard near the train? You could get quite a bit for $400K.

South Downers Grove? With PACE busses to Metra you'd be OK and the commute for you both is reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs