Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Cadillac XTS?
Yes 20 45.45%
No 24 54.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:48 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
News update: This is the 21st Century.

I would hope that modern Cadillacs look nothing like yesteryear. Just as I am glad other cars look nothing like yesteryear.

Time marches on, get used to it.
Yeah, it's great having cars of today shaped like jelly beans!

Anyway, I was asking what era of Cadillacs he was referring to when he said yesteryear. Yesteryear covers a lot of decades!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yesteryear covers a lot of decades!
Yep, let's design cars to be like the 1920s. Never mind aerodynamics, safety considerations, or drivability.

You apparently missed my point... or not.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Yep, let's design cars to be like the 1920s. Never mind aerodynamics, safety considerations, or drivability.

You apparently missed my point... or not.
No, not 1920s, I was thinking more like the 1960s when Cadillacs looked like Cadillacs. And there was a real choice in models (a 2-door hardtop, a 4-door hardtop, a 4-door sedan, a convertible, a brougham, a FWD coupe, a 9-passenger sedan and a 9-passenger limousine).

Old 04-30-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I would be getting something like Fleet's limo if I were in the market for a Caddy.
You are a person with excellent taste!

Old 04-30-2010, 01:33 AM

404 posts, read 1,556,838 times
Default I GUESS I JUST DON'T LIKE CADDY, thruth be known :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It looks nothing like the Cadillacs of yesteryear. If by yesteryear, you mean pre-1980s Cadillacs.
It looks no more gaudy and overdone than a modern Mercedes or BMW.
no no lol. i mean exactly '80's Caddy's. i understand Cadillac has a rich and storied history in the automotive world. but since its part of GM and the company lost its way a bit, i guess the same would hold true for its primary luxury brand

the last Caddy i remember getting excited about was when the new Seville was released in '92. not because it was such a great car, but because it was a huge step in what i consider the right direction. but as usual GM just rested on its laurels with it, let its powertrain become outdated, and freshened the interior to look like a Lexus knock off. then they threw the thing away :/

who knows, maybe it will one day return? if in name only

also i drove a '95 Deville regularly in '97. miserable, miserable land yacht if ever there was one. two ways to drive that car...forward and backward lol

so far as this Caddy? well, i don't like the interior. thats what i meant to call gaudy and overdone. the exterior looks like a Caddy on steroids. its not offensive, i just don't care for the "American Luxury Muscle" styling. just make it elegant

but um, back to those interiors. you mention Mercedes and BMW being just as lacking aesthetically. but i beg to differ!

nice and elegant

beautiful, understated

um...

Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
no no lol. i mean exactly '80's Caddy's. i understand Cadillac has a rich and storied history in the automotive world. but since its part of GM and the company lost its way a bit, i guess the same would hold true for its primary luxury brand

the last Caddy i remember getting excited about was when the new Seville was released in '92. not because it was such a great car, but because it was a huge step in what i consider the right direction. but as usual GM just rested on its laurels with it, let its powertrain become outdated, and freshened the interior to look like a Lexus knock off. then they threw the thing away :/

also i drove a '95 Deville regularly in '97. miserable, miserable land yacht if ever there was one. two ways to drive that car...forward and backward lol

so far as this Caddy? well, i don't like the interior. thats what i meant to call gaudy and overdone. the exterior looks like a Caddy on steroids. its not offensive, i just don't care for the "American Luxury Muscle" styling. just make it elegant

but um, back to those interiors. you mention Mercedes and BMW being just as lacking aesthetically. but i beg to differ!

nice and elegant

beautiful, understated

um...
A '95 DeVille is hardly a land yacht... it isn't really a big car.

I didn't say the interiors of Mercedes and BMWs are lacking aesthetically, I said that the interior of Cadillacs are no more gimmicky, overdone or gaudy then than the interiors of Mercedes and BMWs.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Of all the things, I'm not sure why everyone's on about the digital dash. It's becoming commonplace to have a digital dash that mimics analog gauges. Not sure why that is or why that's supposedly any better than just having an actual analog dash, but that's the case. Never heard anyone complain about it before. And no, this isn't the same as the digital dash of the 80s as some have intoned, with the big stupid LED readouts like a digital calculator that were hard to pull any information from except your present speed.

I'm still not a fan but I'm glad to see Cadillac finally starting to iron out some of the hard creases from its erstwhile "roughly hewn from a solid block" design language.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:

nice and elegant
If you're going to post interiors of the Mercedes and BMW...don't post their most expensive model as an example. The XLS is not competing with the 7 Series and S-Class...comparing apples to oranges. The E-Class, 5 Series would be better competition.

We shall see, to each their own.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:40 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Of all the things, I'm not sure why everyone's on about the digital dash. It's becoming commonplace to have a digital dash that mimics analog gauges. Not sure why that is or why that's supposedly any better than just having an actual analog dash, but that's the case.
Not that it'll be needed i this vehicle, but it moves faster, somethineg you need in a car like the LF-A, where the revs go up and down faster than an analog gauge can keep up with.

Personally I love it, I can't help but think of all the possibilities this creates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
If you're going to post interiors of the Mercedes and BMW...don't post their most expensive model as an example. The XLS is not competing with the 7 Series and S-Class...comparing apples to oranges. The E-Class, 5 Series would be better competition.

We shall see, to each their own.
The 5 series isn't exactly bad looking either...

Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 AM

1,357 posts, read 3,917,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post

nice and elegant

beautiful, understated

um...

In my opinion, the Cadillac's interior looks far better.

Anyway, I like the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC