Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:16 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times

Advertisements

Was helping a neighbor replace brake pads. Front pads took the normal 10-15 minutes with the normal - push the pistons back with a c-clamp.
Rear pads a different story. Discovered that we needed a special tool to screw in the piston. [and there is no way you can do it with needle nose pliers] Had to buy a universal cube for many manufacturers calipers that is used once to do the job.
Anybody know what is the mechanical design purpose of having to screw in the piston and not just the old fashion way of the front calipers using a c-clamp or stick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 03:21 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
That's how the parking brake is applied. The piston rotates out and pushes the pads against the rotor.

By the title of your topic ( reason for screw in piston???) I was expecting to read you had pulled a cylinder head and found a screw in a piston.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:33 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,248,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
That's how the parking brake is applied. The piston rotates out and pushes the pads against the rotor.

By the title of your topic ( reason for screw in piston???) I was expecting to read you had pulled a cylinder head and found a screw in a piston.
You mean heavy duty spiral locks! I know a Mustang that has them with the custom JE forged pistons????? I need to shut up because I'm giving all my secrets away to these kids on here!LOL........

Old 05-31-2010, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info. You're right and it just made me realize that there was not the old fashion rotor with a 'shoe drum' attached for a parking brake.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Thanks for the info. You're right and it just made me realize that there was not the old fashion rotor with a 'shoe drum' attached for a parking brake.
You need that cube tool as well. Don't do it guys without one. You will be replacing that caliper if you do!

Old 05-31-2010, 03:55 PM

Don't laugh but many years ago, I actually did have a screw in the piston. Old car with carburetor was stolen. Recovered a week later partially stripped. Air cleaner was missing. Drove the car 2 miles and then all kinds of engine noises. After stripping engine, discovered that the theives dropped a screw in the carburetor, got stuck at intake valve, bent valve hit piston, punched hole in piston.
I see the same kind of car at Barrett-Jackson selling for $35,000 61 Chev Impala 2 dr red bubble roof, 348 tri carb, 4 speed

Old 06-01-2010, 06:22 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
You need that cube tool as well. Don't do it guys without one. You will be replacing that caliper if you do!
I have that little cube (just about useless) as well as a Mac Tools piston retractor set (takes too long). I even considered buying the air operated kit from Sir Tools (way too much money for what little use it would get) but 9 times out of 10 I'll just grab the pair of needle nose that I ground the points off of, spray the dust boot with WD40 and turn the piston in with the pliers.

Some calipers require a plug on the back to be removed and an allen screw turned to retract the piston.

W body GM cars require the piston to be turned out after installing the caliper to remove the gap between the pads and the rotor. If this is not done, there won't be much of a pedal.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:36 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Next time go to Advance Auto or Autozone and rent the tool to reset the piston for free.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:36 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,970 times
most of them "screws" in because its easier to slide the seals 'along the grain'

Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I have that little cube (just about useless) as well as a Mac Tools piston retractor set (takes too long). I even considered buying the air operated kit from Sir Tools (way too much money for what little use it would get) but 9 times out of 10 I'll just grab the pair of needle nose that I ground the points off of, spray the dust boot with WD40 and turn the piston in with the pliers.

Some calipers require a plug on the back to be removed and an allen screw turned to retract the piston.

W body GM cars require the piston to be turned out after installing the caliper to remove the gap between the pads and the rotor. If this is not done, there won't be much of a pedal.
As long as you don't try to use a c-clamp on it. My buddy did this once with a huge c-clamp and it had so much force it cracked the caliper in the process. "I really done it now Rugged"! LMOA......... You dumba**!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive