Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:51 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,818,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Pardon my ig'nance, but what is a "BB" Vette?

BB stands for "big block"....396, 402, 427, 454, 502 or 572.

The OP most likely has a 454 as that's what Corvettes could come with back in 1970.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 07:52 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,786,777 times
Its a 468 cid Big BLock (original block bored out) . Had to go thru the water box...the entire width of the lane was soaked with water -- no room to go around. My max. torque is at 3500 rpm since its set up for max. low end torque...so i should probably not be shifting at 5000 rpms. Im just going to the Strip for fun every now and then, and am not ready to sink big money into making it more Strip worthy. I was with friends and they allow you to have a cookout right at the fence, so, its great fun for a friday evening. , and only $15 to race. Ive actually been thinking of trading my 2006 Corvette I have with 16,xxx miles for a dedicated radical street/strip car like a twin turbo Mustang thats built up -- something thats worth around 30 k . so i can make a straight trade. If you know of anyone , send em my way. I can see going to the Strip is very addicting and when you do it at night, looking down the strip from the starting line looks very eerie to me ... quite a feeling. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,963,799 times
Yeah with street tires DO NOT drive through the water box, go around it. As someone pointed out, it's tough sometimes to try to get around it.
2.2 short times, well those aren't THAT bad for street tires, depending on the track prep. Under 2.0 with street tires is pretty tough.
I run, or used to run before they closed the Memphis dragstrip, my '80 Vette all the time at the strip (custom built 400hp engine gets me to close to sub-13 second times in the 1/4 mile). As someone said they are not the best drag cars with the IRS, and they tend to crouch down in the back when launching and "skips" through the launch even when you carefully feather the throttle. Nevertheless at the corvette furum they have some 9 and 10 second 3rd generation vettes of note.
Experiment with shifting at different RPM's. Shifting at max torque is not the whole equation, it all depends also on your gearing. Remember that when you upshift, you get an RPM drop, perhaps under your torque curve if you shift too soon.
Learn how to tune your car. Study the 60 foot times, 100 foot times, trap speed, etc. One will tell you how your traction is, another will tell you your horsepower, another will tell you your reaction time. It will tell you if you are shifting correctly, if your car is laying down on the back half, ect. Have fun tuning your carb, jets, timing, etc.
Now one last reminder, if you like the 1/8 miles track you will love the 1/4 track, such that you will probably never go to an 1/8 mile track again. We have several 1/8 tracks around, seriously I have no desire to go to one after my 1/4 runs.

With 540 HP (I think they rated horsepower different back in 1970, I really doubt you have that HP), you should be doing better than low 8's. It should be mid to high 7's. What was your trap speed? I think if you ever had your car dynoed you would find you only have about 350HP or less to the rear wheels.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-12-2010 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah with street tires DO NOT drive through the water box, go around it. As someone pointed out, it's tough sometimes to try to get around it.
2.2 short times, well those aren't THAT bad for street tires, depending on the track prep. Under 2.0 with street tires is pretty tough.
I run, or used to run before they closed the Memphis dragstrip, my '80 Vette all the time at the strip (custom built 400hp engine gets me to close to sub-13 second times in the 1/4 mile). As someone said they are not the best drag cars with the IRS, and they tend to crouch down in the back when launching and "skips" through the launch even when you carefully feather the throttle. Nevertheless at the corvette furum they have some 9 and 10 second 3rd generation vettes of note.
Experiment with shifting at different RPM's. Shifting at max torque is not the whole equation, it all depends also on your gearing. Remember that when you upshift, you get an RPM drop, perhaps under your torque curve if you shift too soon.
Learn how to tune your car. Study the 60 foot times, 100 foot times, trap speed, etc. One will tell you how your traction is, another will tell you your horsepower, another will tell you your reaction time. It will tell you if you are shifting correctly, if your car is laying down on the back half, ect. Have fun tuning your carb, jets, timing, etc.
Now one last reminder, if you like the 1/8 miles track you will love the 1/4 track, such that you will probably never go to an 1/8 mile track again. We have several 1/8 tracks around, seriously I have no desire to go to one after my 1/4 runs.

With 540 HP (I think they rated horsepower different back in 1970, I really doubt you have that HP), you should be doing better than low 8's. It should be mid to high 7's. What was your trap speed? I think if you ever had your car dynoed you would find you only have about 350HP or less to the rear wheels.
From the factory, the 454 cid (LS5) in 1970 was rated at 390 gross h.p. I have since had a buildup using an Edelbrock Pre-engineered Package incl. headers for BBC and their website chart said 540 hp. I can tell you that the way the car is now versus stock...is so apparent ; the tires break loose in 3rd gear going just 35 mph (2000 rpms) if you nail it on the street. You cant nail it in 1st or 2nd without a drastic fishtail. Ive read lots of buildups in magazines that are very simular to mine and they are getting 11's in the quarter with D.R.'s . Anyway, thanks for all the tips you gave me. Ill have to practice .

Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,301,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
From the factory, the 454 cid (LS5) in 1970 was rated at 390 gross h.p. I have since had a buildup using an Edelbrock Pre-engineered Package incl. headers for BBC and their website chart said 540 hp. I can tell you that the way the car is now versus stock...is so apparent ; the tires break loose in 3rd gear going just 35 mph (2000 rpms) if you nail it on the street. You cant nail it in 1st or 2nd without a drastic fishtail. Ive read lots of buildups in magazines that are very simular to mine and they are getting 11's in the quarter with D.R.'s . Anyway, thanks for all the tips you gave me. Ill have to practice .

The edelbrock packages are fairly easy to duplicate by having all of their parts as it sounds like you do. And that package you state does have a good number of 11 and low 12 second cars using it. As stated before, with tuning, and learning the car and track conditions along with better tires, you will have alot of fun. I do like your idea of going for a drag race car. Yes, drag racing has been plenty of fun for me over the years. but 1 look in my profile, that is clear!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
007 - I would recommend this forum which I used to frequent regularly. Lots of advise and suggestion on the 3rd generation vette in general and you got some drag racers on there. Just tons of information, best forum out there on our generation vette:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php

Go to the C3 area.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
007 - I would recommend this forum which I used to frequent regularly. Lots of advise and suggestion on the 3rd generation vette in general and you got some drag racers on there. Just tons of information, best forum out there on our generation vette:

Corvette C6 - C1 Reviews, Performance, Parts For Sale - CorvetteForum.com

Go to the C3 area.
Yes, been going there for a long time ... just not regarding Drag Racing as Im just getting hooked on it. Im presently looking to trade my 2006 LS2 Vette which i seldom use for a 2003 DSG Mustang Cobra drag and street car with all the race goodies in it incl. a twin turbo by HP Performance --- a fresh rebuilt 5.0 litre engine is currently being done with an expected 715 rwhp on 93 octane at 12 lbs. boost ... with max. recommended on pump gas of 18 lbs boost . Will have an adjustable Boost Controller ; if i post the guys build list , could a couple of you seasoned Drag Racers tell me what you think of his choice of parts for the engine/gearbox/rearend/suspension ???

Old 04-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, been going there for a long time ... just not regarding Drag Racing as Im just getting hooked on it. Im presently looking to trade my 2006 LS2 Vette which i seldom use for a 2003 DSG Mustang Cobra drag and street car with all the race goodies in it incl. a twin turbo by HP Performance --- a fresh rebuilt 5.0 litre engine is currently being done with an expected 715 rwhp on 93 octane at 12 lbs. boost ... with max. recommended on pump gas of 18 lbs boost . Will have an adjustable Boost Controller ; if i post the guys build list , could a couple of you seasoned Drag Racers tell me what you think of his choice of parts for the engine/gearbox/rearend/suspension ???
Start a new thread on your desired combo. 715 rwhp, turbos, and 9 or 10 second cars are out of my league and knowledge but I am sure someone can answer. Your best bet is a dedicated car forum for knowledge, maybe a comparable mustang forum.
All I can say, is when you race with that much power you have to upgrade EVERYTHING and expect things to break - mostly the rear ends if you use drag tires. Don't forget you will be entering required roll cage territory if you want to take a stroll down the drag strip (sounds like it may already have one). I get chased out myself if I don't have a helmet for my 13 second car but sub 11 requires the cage. Building a street/strip car is always a compromise remember - don't forget 99% of your driving will be on the street. You don't want a car that you just end up trailering to the strip.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,924,138 times
Quote:

do you also have the heads, cam, carb too? I seriously doubt you have 540 hp.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
do you also have the heads, cam, carb too? I seriously doubt you have 540 hp.
The Edelbrock Pre engineered package consists of the Heads and Airgap Dual Plane Intake , cam, and carb ; instead of using their cam i went with a Lunati roller cam that was more aggressive...and instead of using their carb i went with a Mighty Demon 800 cfm Double Pumper with annular boosters . Plus long tube Hooker Headers and straight thru mufflers. The stock gross h.p. was 390 and i have no doubt at all that its now 540 gross h.p. according to Edelbrocks chart and according to how much faster the car is. If you dont, then God bless you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC