Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:22 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,032,436 times

Advertisements

I plan on racing a bunch of "friends" next summer at a drag strip.

I plan on buying a 2007 audi s4 in Feb 2013. My budget will most likely be 5,000$ - 6,000 after I purchase the car for performance modifications. I would still like to drive the car daily so NOS or anything ludicrous is out of the question.

The z06, and the M3 I know is remaining stock aside from some suspension upgrades.

What modifications would I need to beat them? I was thinking about turbocharging it but for some reason it doesn't seem to be a common combination.

Any advice on beating these cars as well?

I will also be racing a Pontiac GXP with about 450hp
An evo 9 500
A 2000ish wrx 550 hp

A supercharged 2002 Maxima 350 hp
The 2009 BMW M3 is around 420ish hp

Well I'm not really worried about the Maxima but it does pack some punch. I'm concerned with the GXP, the subaru wrx, BMW m3 and mistubishi evo but especially concerned with the Z06 and the M3.

The rest of the cars I will be racing are just Hondas... I won't need advice on that

Any advice would be appreciated on thee other cars though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,174,636 times
I'd be most worried about the EVO and STi. Their AWD drivetrains make them potent on a drag strip as they can take down more powerful RWD cars.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,048,571 times
Which version S4 will you be buying, 4.2L V8, or 2.7L Twin Turbo? Personally, i wouldn't really expect much for drag racing out of the Audi. It's a fantastic car, with a great AWD system but it's more of a well rounded car vs a straight line acceleration car. If you end up with a Twin Turbo Audi, id look at a tune which should net you some significant horsepower for the money, it'd also give you some options for better intercoolers, injectors, etc. If working on the N/A V8, i'm sure there are some aftermarket parts out there, but the power gains won't be as noticeable for the $$, exhaust, intake, the usual. If my total plan was to beat some of these guys at the drag strip, i'd invest in a lighter car, with a large displacement engine. Maybe a 5.0 Mustang a late model SVT Cobra. A Trans Am or Z28. If a more "late model" car was desired, maybe 05-06 GTO.

PS, if you're wondering why turbocharging a 4.2L V8 S4 isn't all that popular...just take a look at how "shoehorned" the engine is in the bay. It's TIGHT!!!

Old 08-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Which version S4 will you be buying, 4.2L V8, or 2.7L Twin Turbo? Personally, i wouldn't really expect much for drag racing out of the Audi. It's a fantastic car, with a great AWD system but it's more of a well rounded car vs a straight line acceleration car. If you end up with a Twin Turbo Audi, id look at a tune which should net you some significant horsepower for the money, it'd also give you some options for better intercoolers, injectors, etc. If working on the N/A V8, i'm sure there are some aftermarket parts out there, but the power gains won't be as noticeable for the $$, exhaust, intake, the usual. If my total plan was to beat some of these guys at the drag strip, i'd invest in a lighter car, with a large displacement engine. Maybe a 5.0 Mustang a late model SVT Cobra. A Trans Am or Z28. If a more "late model" car was desired, maybe 05-06 GTO.
The audi will be used as a daily driver as well so it will not only be for sheer performance. I do need a well rounded car. Maybe I should be more "realistic" and set my goals for keeping up with the guys rather then beating them. They are going all out in performance where I want to still kick a little butt but still have heated seats, a/c and nice sound system when I roll off the track.

I'm not a fan of most american cars but you do have a point.

So my question should be what are the best modifications for the 2007 S4 performance wise to keep up with the guys on the dragstrip?

Should I go with a supercharger, turbocharger and redo internals?

A tune with just bolt ons?

I'm thinking a supercharger/turbocharger with a tune and redo the internals..

Old 08-18-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I'd be most worried about the EVO and STi. Their AWD drivetrains make them potent on a drag strip as they can take down more powerful RWD cars.
Very true. I guess should set my sights on the GXP and the zo6 as long as its stock.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:49 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,171,304 times
I thought in some other thread you were complaining about not making more than $12 an hour as a tech?

Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,301,492 times
Buying an S4 and wanting to drag race it is silly. If you really want to "race" them, have them come to a real track, or an auto-x

Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,278,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Buying an S4 and wanting to drag race it is silly. If you really want to "race" them, have them come to a real track, or an auto-x
It is silly to buy a great handling car and reduce it to a drag race.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I thought in some other thread you were complaining about not making more than $12 an hour as a tech?
Oh yeah about that...my income increased..not by much...but enough to get the ball rolling
And the senior techs are now teaching me everything they know.
I'm also learning things at an alarming rate...
By the end of the year I will be flat rate and my income will go from 25K a year to 45K

I'm pretty sure as long as I keep learning and doing bigger jobs I will be able to afford an S4.

The top guy at our shop makes 100K a year.
The second best makes 80K
The third makes 50k
The fourth makes 48K

The fourth guy is going to quit soon too so I may just end up taking his spot.

Last edited by Veyron; 08-18-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I tried looking up a decent race track but they all were outrageously expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive