Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times

Advertisements

...and despite the stereotype here in the US, Buick is the marque to have among young successful people in China.

My wife, far, far from 65 has a LeSabre. We call it her "old lady car". While it's not what I'd prefer to drive (I find it's handling mediocre and it's ride too mushy) it does get up and scoot and it's great for long trips. Other than the gas gauge, it's been trouble-free.

Oh, and it's front-wheel drive. Does Buick even make a rear-wheel drive?

My parents are nearing 80...they drive a Honda Pilot, a diesel F-250 4x4 and dad's toy--a Mitsu Evo. He says the biggest kick he gets is the double-takes from the boy-racers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 AM

563 posts, read 929,583 times
I love my Mercs and even when I hit my 60's, that will still be my brand-of-choice. Except by then, it may have a solar panel roof, run on 200 AAA batteries, and float on air!

Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,855 times
Too bad Buicks don't look like they did way back in the old days. But to all of you youngsters : newsflash ! You will reach a time when you don't look like you do now. Honk Honk !

Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
...and despite the stereotype here in the US, Buick is the marque to have among young successful people in China.

My wife, far, far from 65 has a LeSabre. We call it her "old lady car". While it's not what I'd prefer to drive (I find it's handling mediocre and it's ride too mushy) it does get up and scoot and it's great for long trips. Other than the gas gauge, it's been trouble-free.

Oh, and it's front-wheel drive. Does Buick even make a rear-wheel drive?

My parents are nearing 80...they drive a Honda Pilot, a diesel F-250 4x4 and dad's toy--a Mitsu Evo. He says the biggest kick he gets is the double-takes from the boy-racers.
The Buick Roadmaster was their rear-wheel drive boat. But I don't know if they still make it.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Some time ago a study showed that Buick had the highest average age of owner - over 60. Other brands with "old" drivers were Lincoln, Mercury, Cadillac, and Jaguar.

Toyota's buyers were aging too - as their buyers continued to buy one Camry after another. That is why Toyota created Scion. They know that if the lose the younger buyer - they lose some of the opportunity to sell a Toyota to them later.

Many seniors still think back to the days when Buick was a step up car - just short of the top of the line - Cadillac.

Cadillac has worked very hard to energize the brand and its buyers are getting younger. The CTS is sold against BMW, Lexus and Acura. The Escalade is the favored bling-mobile.

Buick has done a good job modernizing their vehicles - but I would still have a hard time buying one. The Enclave has way too much chrome. Fake front fender vents on their sedans. Just not sporty enough for me.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post

My wife, far, far from 65 has a LeSabre. Oh, and it's front-wheel drive. Does Buick even make a rear-wheel drive?
They used to. For many years.

Not sure why Buicks are associated with the elderly....maybe because it's sort of a poor mans Cadillac? And I know Caddys are also elderly people cars, and rich people cars too....or supposed to be.

Buick did make a few cars that would blow the doors off of a Mustang or Camaro in the early 70's and again in the mid 80's. I happen to have an example of the latter in my garage.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,732 times
umm my best friend drives a buick and she isnt an old person and most likely she'd be passing you up.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:35 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,122 times
I would much rather older folks drive under the speed limit than well over it.

As far as what they drive, without old people kicking it and the family selling off the slightly used Buick sedan, what the heck would we buy our teenage daughters when they learn to drive? (lol)

Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,945 times
Remember when GM had a sense of humor and decided to make a turbo charged Gran National?

Now all Buicks come from the factory with the left turn signal blinking continuously.....

Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
I wouldn't be caught dead in a Cadillac until about 2002/2003 when the CTS and hard edged Escalade hit the dealers. They now have many great looking cars that appeal to a younger buyer. Buck isn't quite there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC